• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing GPS with the best signal reception

smboudreaux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Addis, La
from your personal experience, which hand held gps units have the best reception. i want something i can jump off in some thick stuff and still pick up a signal

Re: GPS with the best signal reception

dunno what's come out lately, but the Garmin 60 CSx beats anything else i've tried in the canopy or canyons.

Get something with an external antenna connection option and pick up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270287387614

I bought one for my Magellan and it is night and day. They claim the antenna is active, meaning amplified, taking power from the GPS unit, but they make a world of difference. Under cover without the antenna, I normally pick up 2-4 satellites. Hook this baby up and I get 7-8. Absolutely worth it. Just make sure your GPS and the antenna connections are the same.

I also have a Garmin, don't remember the number just now its in my Jeep. It can be loaded with maps of what ever you want I got my maps from a site I found on a google search.

i've had three of those small magnetic antenna go bad. they work good when they work, but don't last long on my ATV with the Garmin 276. i finally had to go with a real marine GPS antenna.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dunno what's come out lately, but the Garmin 60 CSx beats anything else i've tried in the canopy or canyons.</div></div>

I have used many different GPS systems, and not considering any other features, this Garmin 60 CSX has the best and most accurate reception. From what I have seen, it gets slightly better reception than the Oregon and Colorado series.

I have a Garmin Foretrex 301 that I use here in AFG. I can cold start it while moving in an MRAP and still get a signal and my grid within a few minutes. When dismounted, I can pick up a signal very quickly. Granted, I am in a river valley so do not have any appreciable terrain to deal with. Note that this is not a mapping model. I carry a map so all I need is a grid to verify my position. Hope this helps.

Look for a model which has a "high sensitivity" receiver. The manufacturer's websites identify the models. They cost more, but are worth it in forests, fog and heavy weather. They are not foolproof, but they are a substantial improvement over the base models.

I have a Garmin 60CSX and it has not let me down even in dark timber.... The new replacement for it (62st I think) should be even better.