• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gradous Rifle - 6.5 x 47 Lapua

SgtJCJ

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2009
OH
Robert Gradous of Gradous Rifles has built a keeper! It deserves some comment. The weapon is a 6.5x47 Lapua, Bolt Action Repeater with a McMillan A5 stock, Jewel Trigger, Surgeon Action, Broughton 5C MTU Barrel cut to 24 inches with a Nightforce 5.5 22x50 NXS scope. It is the finest Rifle I have ever owned. The Customer Service, up to this point, has been “Outstanding”. As an example, he personally delivered my rifle driving from Hephzibah, Ga. to Oklahoma to make delivery. I am sure he doesn’t do this often but some issues came up that delayed the final completion and I needed the weapon the very next day.

I have been wanting a long rifle for over 5 years and had done a great deal of reading on the subject, investigating which Gunsmiths to stay away from and which ones I should consider. Different Companies in the business provided information (Gun shops, Barrel companies, companies that make actions, Rifle Scope companies etc). I contacted three Gunsmiths and finally settled on Gradous Rifles.

Robert started building rifles years ago. He worked with Surgeon and built rifle for them and when you talk to the Surgeon people (Preston or Matt) they will tell you that he taught them more about rifle building then they taught him. Robert Gradous is old school! He will tell you “a man only has his word”. When you first speak with Robert you get the impression that he is a humble man who has integrity and knows the gunsmith business. His attention to detail goes throughout his operation. Just call him and ask to visit and you will understand what I mean.

His shop is immaculate. I’ve worked in Machine shops and can only comment that his operation is more like a Hospitals Operating Room than a Gunsmith Shop. The next closest thing I’ve seen to his shop is a clean Technical School Shop. Don’t believe me look at the photos on his website (see shortcut below).

http://www.gradousrifles.com/shop.php

His main facility houses routers, CNC machines, presses Mills, measures tools. There are two smaller rooms off the main building/assembly room, which contain a glass bead blaster in one and a Sand Blaster in the other. In a separate building is a first class paint and drying facility and one smaller building collects all the dust from the blasters and other equipment.

Recently, I traveled to Hephzibah, GA., to work with Robert and see his shop. Gradous Rifle offers a Gunsmith class for up to 5 people per week. The class is designed so that each person builds their own rifle. After the first, day devoted to work, we spent day two making up various reloads and testing them at 100 yards. Finally, we went to 600 yard range for more fun!

Below are the photos and conditions for both 100 and 600 yards.

Photo 1

2ut5coy.jpg

Cold Bore shot @ 100 yards. Not bad for an old Jarhead. 9/28/09 @ 1530, 86.4 F, Alt. 430 ft., 57% Humidity, 29.44 Barometric Pressure.

Photo 2

29lzt6u.jpg

3 shot group by Robert Gradous. 9/29/09 @ 1400, Wind 3-5 mph, 86.4 F, Alt. - 430 ft., Humidity - 38.2%, Bar. Press. – 29.63. .000 moa. (measured with a caliper)

Photo 3

2d1213m.jpg

600 Yard 3 shots covered by a Silver Dollar.
(Shot by R. Gradous)

Photo 4

2642lok.jpg

4X4 Steel Target

Photo 5

2rgosuf.jpg

Gradous Rifle 6.5 x 47 Lapua (pic1)

16jmzrl.jpg

Gradous Rifle 6.5 x 47 Lapua (pic2)

2myss2f.jpg

Gradous Rifle 6.5 x 47 Lapua (pic3)

Re: Gradous Rifle - 6.5 x 47 Lapua

No problem. I will get them up soon. I am very new to this posting stuff so if you have any recos on what you would like to see I will do my best!

J

I have talked with Robert on a few occasions. He is a stand up guy. I plan on taking the gunsmith class in the late summer.

That is one nice rifle!!!!

We need better pics!!!!

Check Back with me on Thurs PM. I am away from a camera and more importantly - "Sarge". I will do my best to post more and better pics NLT Friday!

Look inside the 'orange' circle in photo 3. The grey area is the rsult of the three shots.

Very nice shooting for a 600yd group. Looks like well under an inch. That's getting close to some world records at that range.

Well Sgt it is a keeper,and I'm sold on the 6.5 and Mr.Gradous work.I had a chance to make a range trip with Sgt and the rifle preformed flawless,got to love that low recoil of the 6.5....

I'm going down to build a 6.5x47L myself here in the next couple of months. Looks great!

I SHOOT THAT RIFE @ SNIPER SCHOOL WITH SGTJC & MADE HEAD SHOOTS AT WILL, WE HADE ALOT OF PROBLEMS 3PCS OF GLASS FAILED MY M-24 LAID DOWN (HONEYDEW) WE STILL PASED THE CLASS.
I"LL TAKE YOU AS A SHOOTER ANY DAY JC, RANGER OUT..........

Congrats, very nice stick- and good shooting.

I´m leaning into opinion that 6.5x47 is one of those "easy calibers" -that usually shoot very well easily. Without extra hazzle with loads/bullets/star positions etc.

Here is the Bullet information:
6.5x47 Lapua, Scenar, 7g., 108 gr., HPBT