• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gradous Rifles .260 Rem. Build - PIC HEAVY

Re: Gradous Rifles .260 Rem. Build - PIC HEAVY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">42.0 grains of H4350 with BR2's and either Lapua Brass (243/308) or Nosler. 139 Scenars at 2,820 fps. </div></div>

William what should my 24" barrel yield with this load? 43.5g was getting me 2840 at 55 degrees with 139 scenars. It will be next week sometime before I can test for myself. </div></div>

That data is from my 260 with a 26" 4 groove 1-8 Bartlien and 139's @ 2.847". Chamber and bore / groove deminsions will also play a FPS role. Now, I think the 260 is one of those cartridges where 24" to 26" of barrel length may be very close to being same/same. Terry Cross has put out several 24" rifles that are in the same fps range as mine so it's just a guess on my part but, you'd loose maybe 20 to 30 FPS per inch, 40 to 60 fps total.........maybe less.

You might be in the high 2,700 fps range, maybe slightly higher.

The 42.0 load looks very promising so far. And it wasn't showing any signs of pressure. It was one of the groups (5 shot) I was getting high .1"s. I just hadn't been able to chrono it and hope it won't have some crazy SD like 20+.

In case anyone was wondering the rifle weighs in at just over 16 lbs.

+1 For Robert Gradous. I was in his shop this past sunday. He was helping me fix tacticalrifles.net m40a1-3 bedding and bottom metal to action alignment and blankenship firearms threading mistakes. Do to his attention to detail I will definitely be having my next rifle built by him.

Excellent review. Robert sounds like a great guy and evidently he knows how to build an awesome rifle. Enjoy

I could only dream of a place lik that! GEEZ! Must b heaven everyday he wakes up!

I watched him do my chamber work. He has the cleanest and most accurate work I have seen.

Super Nice!

using range rods and flush-N-cut set-up with the CUSTOM oil Deflector (water Bottle bottom)...

Great post....I sold a custom 260 reamer awhile back..its just sitting in the guys box...I bought a 260 back when they first came out in the model 7...could find the sweet spot due to magazine length loading...siold it! NOW considering a c-porducts mag set-up

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">42.0 grains of H4350 with BR2's and either Lapua Brass (243/308) or Nosler. 139 Scenars at 2,820 fps. </div></div>

William what should my 24" barrel yield with this load? 43.5g was getting me 2840 at 55 degrees with 139 scenars. It will be next week sometime before I can test for myself. </div></div>

That data is from my 260 with a 26" 4 groove 1-8 Bartlien and 139's @ 2.847". Chamber and bore / groove deminsions will also play a FPS role. Now, I think the 260 is one of those cartridges where 24" to 26" of barrel length may be very close to being same/same. Terry Cross has put out several 24" rifles that are in the same fps range as mine so it's just a guess on my part but, you'd loose maybe 20 to 30 FPS per inch, 40 to 60 fps total.........maybe less.

You might be in the high 2,700 fps range, maybe slightly higher. </div></div>

William I had to switch lots of H4350. Now my go to load is 42.2 grains with a Berger 140BTLR at 2.875-2.877 coal in Norma brass - BR2 primer pushing a comfortable 2765fps with an SD of 4. Best 5 shot group to date is .122"

I think shes good here...
1c879747.jpg

Took it to 200 and only horizontal spread, with no more than .25 moa vertical.
Sorry it took me so long to post.

Beauty of a rifle!good to see something shoot as good as it looks;)

-Reagan

I contacted Mr. Graduous several years about my first custom build. He was generous with his time and insisted I purchase and read Harold Vaughn's book prior to even thinking about beginning a build. GREAT READ!!

41DC8V2CVWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tango, Have you tried any 123's yet. A+ on Robert, I picked my .260 ackley in Sept.from him...by far my best rifle ever!!!

All my parts are on order for Robert. With all the great reviews and my conversations with him the choice on who was going to build my first tactical was easy.

My wife asked if I would like to go to his shop and help watch and build my rifle with him for my birthday present from her. Another no brainer question to answer.

I got a fantastic wife!!

Just got off the phone with Robert - my build components heading his way tomorrow!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with Robert - my build components heading his way tomorrow!!</div></div>

What are you having built?

He builds one hell of a rifle for an old pig farmer! I had the great opportunity to attend one of his build classes and walked away with an impressive rifle and an even greater insight into riflesmithing.

Thats a great looking .260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boogyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tango, Have you tried any 123's yet. A+ on Robert, I picked my .260 ackley in Sept.from him...by far my best rifle ever!!! </div></div>

I haven't tried anything but the heavies...139scenars, 140BTLRs, and 142smk. What do you recommend for the 123s?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chongoMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He builds one hell of a rifle for an old pig farmer! I had the great opportunity to attend one of his build classes and walked away with an impressive rifle and an even greater insight into riflesmithing.

Thats a great looking .260. </div></div>

Thanks for the compliments... Robert is really owed all the compliments. Im just the guy with who forked over the cash. I still don't understand how Robert doesn't have a 6-8 month wait like some other guys. And +1 about Robert being generous with his time.

thanks for a great post...what a first class opperation

Tango(great post by the way), I was asking you....I haven't tried them yet either. Might try to venture out this weekend and try some. I'm trying to find some Berger 140s to no avail. Got great groups with 142s and 140 AMAXS. Ill let you know what I find this weekend.

Thanks again for the the compliments guys. Rifle is still going strong in the .1s after a mere 487 rounds.

TAG. I'm waiting on a Krieger 260 rem BBL to make the conversion and Im extremely interested in what bullets you decide to stay with. I was planning on testing the 139's vs the 142's but I'm secretly hoping the 142's win out only because of the price difference between 142's vs 139's

I'm pushing bergers BTLR 140s seated at COAL 2.875" (+-.001) with 42.2g of h4350 in Norma brass necksized only set off by BR-2 primers. The rifle has produced multiple 5 shot groups on the .1s and is .25 moa at 200 all day long. The bergers are the most consistant and straight shooting for me. I'm getting SDs between 4-6 with this combo and 2756fps at the muzzle in 52 degree weather. Elevation roughly 1000' and humidity was low.

I got loads of low .3s groups with the scenars as high as 2909 and many .25-.28" groups with the 142smks. Id rather shoot the bergers for accuracy and this awesome load is super easy on brass and shows no signs of pressure and had the tightest SDs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I'm taking all the notes I can while waiting for the barrel.

tango, impressive! thx for posting. have you shot out to 600 or a 1000 yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tango, impressive! thx for posting. have you shot out to 600 or a 1000 yet? </div></div>

Sad to say, but no. Been busy with family matters. But I'm itching to see what it will do. I'm confident that at 600+ I will be the weak link in the chain.

They don't call Robert the "Cat-Daddy" for nothin' !!! LOL!!

I am really thinking I should do this build class, if for no other reason than to see that awesome shop.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLUHstud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am really thinking I should do this build class, if for no other reason than to see that awesome shop.

Pat</div></div>

You should. Robert is a top notch smith and a heck of a good guy.

Kreiger, Surgeon, APA and Terry Cross all recommended Robert when I spoke with them. Thats about as good as it gets when it comes to endorsing someone.

Thank you for sharing. Those are phenomenal photographs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I signed up with Robert and will be doing my Build near the end of July. </div></div>

Lowlight,
Do you know what action you will be using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I signed up with Robert and will be doing my Build near the end of July. </div></div>

So how is your rifle coming along? Looking forward to your writeup and pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRB45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I signed up with Robert and will be doing my Build near the end of July. </div></div>

So how is your rifle coming along? Looking forward to your writeup and pics. </div></div>

Look in the gunsmithing section...its posted there.

Rather well... Got over 550 on the tube. Seems to be getting better with each shot. Took it to 630 the other day. Conditions were perfect...no wind no mirage. I thought I had only hit the target once and were missing the other shots. I had the target brought to me and then couldn't believe it. It was a 3 shot .585" group at 630yards.

I called Robert to let him know how astonished I was with the rifle. He was happy to hear the results. He told me of a 6.5 creedmore he built that shot one hole at 600 with factory ammo. He said he then handed it to the owner. I told him that would be tough not to keep that one! One things for certain, I have called Robert several times since he built the Rifle to chat. He's always easy going and ready to talk. And offers pointers and advice when I need it. Now thats customer service.

Anyways, I didn't post pics because it was only a 3 shot group. And I didn't want to get haggled about the 3 shot rule. But I did keep the target and I can PM it to you if you'd like.

I thought of sending the target back down range and putting 2 more in it. But I was a nervous as a whore in church and a little too shaken to shoot anymore. Besides I could no longer lay prone with the kickstand I was sporting
grin.gif
. The group was shoot while laying in the dirt off a country road using a bipod and a rear bag. Man the Jewell trigger set pretty low really helps that for sure.

Rest assured the group was not a fluke. But definitely the best so far. I also shot several sub 2" 5-10 shot groups at 765 yards. Once again I was blessed with perfect shooting conditions. And tagged a 1.5 blue dot on steel at 765 yards with a cold dirty bore shot. The rifle shoots...no question. I would love to see what it could do in the hands of a real shooter. Next month I'm taking it to 1k-1200y. I'll try to get pictures and post them.

Papagallos...So what do you have in mind for your build?

Robert's build is obviously a shooter. That's freaking awesome. But I'm thinking the shooter behind the rifle is also responsible for producing consistent small groups.
smile.gif

So, what do I have in mind? Well, nothing out of the ordinary. My goal is to have a consistent MOA rifle out to 1,000 yards, but, most importantly, to 600 yards and under. In fact, the build will be driven out to 600 yards and under for about 90% of the time. Basically, I'm looking for an awesomely accurate rifle to punch paper and ring steel all day long. I recently purchased a Krieger 264 CAL SS 5R 1-8.5" #17 HEAVY VARMINT 28" from Third Generation Shooting Supply. Next in line is the purchase of an action. GAP is currently completing my Surgeon 591 .243 build, so I'm considering another Surgeon 591 action, in addition to SAC's Alpha and BlackOps 911. Stock choice has been narrowed down to a McMillan A-5, Manners T4-A, and a KMW Sentinel. I wish someone with a Sentinel lived close to my town so that I can get a feel for it. Anyone close to Laredo, Texas?

Will I compete with it? Competition is out of the question. Finding time for any competition is definitely not in the agenda. It's unfortunate, but with family and work, and more family and work, even just going to the shooting range requires a lot of careful planning around family time on my days off.

Reloading is definitely the route I'm taking for this build. From what I've gathered, the 6.5x47L is the most expensive to reload for, but reloading the .260 isn't too far off either. The 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely cheaper to reload. But, my experience with Hornady brass hasn't been promising. Soft and cheap is what I feel when I handle Hornady brass. However, I haven't used Hornady brass in a very, very long time. Maybe it's of higher quality now?

So, we'll see what I decide within a couple of weeks. I will say, however, that I am very heavily leaning towards a .260 build.

grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks, Tango_Down.

Just found this thread and had no idea Robert and his Gradous Rifles company was in Georgia. Wouldn't mind visiting his place and watching him build me one... One of these years

Papa, did you have one built with him?

Same here. Gonna build my first with Robert. Waiting on my Sentinel stock from Terry at KMW and MTU .308 barrel from Krieger. Everything else I have. Hopefully I'll be heading to Robert's place in the next few months...the wait is killing me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hitman321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same here. Gonna build my first with Robert. Waiting on my Sentinel stock from Terry at KMW and MTU .308 barrel from Krieger. Everything else I have. Hopefully I'll be heading to Robert's place in the next few months...the wait is killing me!</div></div>

Drool! Sounds freaking awesome dude! Post pics when you get it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert's build is obviously a shooter. That's freaking awesome. But I'm thinking the shooter behind the rifle is also responsible for producing consistent small groups.
smile.gif

So, what do I have in mind? Well, nothing out of the ordinary. My goal is to have a consistent MOA rifle out to 1,000 yards, but, most importantly, to 600 yards and under. In fact, the build will be driven out to 600 yards and under for about 90% of the time. Basically, I'm looking for an awesomely accurate rifle to punch paper and ring steel all day long. I recently purchased a Krieger 264 CAL SS 5R 1-8.5" #17 HEAVY VARMINT 28" from Third Generation Shooting Supply. Next in line is the purchase of an action. GAP is currently completing my Surgeon 591 .243 build, so I'm considering another Surgeon 591 action, in addition to SAC's Alpha and BlackOps 911. Stock choice has been narrowed down to a McMillan A-5, Manners T4-A, and a KMW Sentinel. I wish someone with a Sentinel lived close to my town so that I can get a feel for it. Anyone close to Laredo, Texas?

Will I compete with it? Competition is out of the question. Finding time for any competition is definitely not in the agenda. It's unfortunate, but with family and work, and more family and work, even just going to the shooting range requires a lot of careful planning around family time on my days off.

Reloading is definitely the route I'm taking for this build. From what I've gathered, the 6.5x47L is the most expensive to reload for, but reloading the .260 isn't too far off either. The 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely cheaper to reload. But, my experience with Hornady brass hasn't been promising. Soft and cheap is what I feel when I handle Hornady brass. However, I haven't used Hornady brass in a very, very long time. Maybe it's of higher quality now?

So, we'll see what I decide within a couple of weeks. I will say, however, that I am very heavily leaning towards a .260 build.

grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks, Tango_Down. </div></div>

No problem bother...And thank you for the compliments.