• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft GRANITE GEAR and EBERLESTOCK tactical packs

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
As a backpacker I have a more "experienced" view of packs than most and comfort is paramount to me.

Check out Granite Gear for some very well designed tactical packs. Granite Gear makes "civilian" backpacks and therefore they know what it takes to make a COMFORTABLE pack that is both light and durable.

Naturally their tactical packs end up being a bit heavier than the civilian packs because of the heavier Cordura and many MOLLE strips they must use for durability in tactical situations. But their harness/waistbelt suspension is very well designed for carrying comfort, better than some other popular tactical packs I've seen and used.

My other choice for great packs is Eberlestock packs, and in particular the Dragonfly hunting or military version. Excellent load carrying comfort and great flexibility in load size not to mention Eberlestock's trademark built-in rifle scabbard.

Both companies offer durable, well designed packs for both the recreational user & elite hiker. I know more about the "military" focused offerings from Granite Tactical Gear & Eberlestock, and agree that comfort need not be abandoned when putting such a pack on the market.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Chief Patrol from Granite Gear. Incredible suspension system and the layout of the pack lends itself well to both a week hiking in the woods with friends, or a deployment overseas into harms way. The J107M Dragonfly has many fans as well, and it is capable of comfortably hauling large loads equally as well as a more basic setup for an overnight trip.

I'd say 95% of buyers out there could select an offering from either one of these two companies and be absolutey satisfied with their choice. Top notch stuff!

Comfort is important but I would say durability is equally important, especially on long trips. The added weight of sturdy fabrics and materials is worth it to avoid having to hike for days with a broken pack and then shell out for a new one. I hiked for 5 months with an Alps mountaineering pack made out of a heavier material than the light weight backpacks most other hikers had and sure enough they ended up going through 3 or 4 packs while mine made it through the whole trip with very minimal wear.

Want to know about packs, ask a lazy man. Lazy but still spends a great deal of time hiking, skiing and winter camping. I'm about as lazy as they get.

I tried a shit pop full of packs in my time, from high to low end, high price to cheap. I keep coming back to my old jungle ruck. I put the pack on the top of the frame, and sleeping bag, tent and coat on the bottom. You have large exterior pockets that are easy to get to without emptying the pack, Also easy to tie crap to.

I did replace the shoulder straps and belly band with heavier padded straps. If set up right its tight, doesn't move about while skiing or other activities.

I'm and infantryman. I spent a year in the jungles living out of that pack and 22 years trapping all over Alaska, summer and winter with this set up. Made many jumps and 100 mile ski trips, and never found anything better.

Now I've gone more to a day pack, I'll either be horseback, on the ATV, MC or Canoe.

I think the Virga, I tested one and loved it for its weight and comfort. Durability was short. Granite Gear is not a common name to most. More known or geared towards the northern midwest canoeing.

Best backpacks are the original Lowe Expedition as a general use pack, Lowe Alpine and its clam shell design is the tactical pack seen, used and offered by just about everyone and the WildThings Andinista as the best pack for technical use. These pack's features and design's have been copied by every other pack manufacturer.

I always look forward to the responses from CraigWY and 45.308 with it comes to outdoor gear. You 2 have contributed quick a bit of great information IMO. Thanks

I'm not broke, willing to pay extra for quality, especially if made in USA. It's a free market, blah blah, but $500-1000 for a pack... c'mon.

Upgraded straps/belt on a ruck and external frame works great for me. I can stuff bloody animal parts in game bags, or carry car batteries for my trail cameras, and I don't have to worry about damaging an "investment."

The time I was in the service (many years ago), the ALICE was what I was issued. I have experience with both the Medium and Large ALICE rucks. In fact, I own one of each. But I also have found that there are a LOT of civilian internal frame packs that hold just as much gear, and are 10x more comfortable to carry than the Army rucks. I have an older Gregory pack, and yes, it's kind of beat up now, but has lasted me several years. No, it's not 1000 denier construction, but despite that, it has taken everything I've ever given it. No, I've not been in near the harsh conditions KraigWY has been in, but for me, it's held up under my use just fine. As such, it wouldn't have made any difference for me had I used an Arm ruck, but I would've been way more uncomfortable carrying it - especially on multi-day through-hikes. At my age (43), I'm no longer near as fit as I was when I was 19 years old, so comfort goes a LONG way with me, and a good, extremely durable civilian internal frame pack allows me to enjoy the outdoors much more gracefully. Good used ones are on places like ebay all the time, and often sell for a fraction of what they were when they were new. Just some food for thought, IMO.

I love my erblestock phantom. I have lugged my massive 23~ lb precision gun around in the pack along with a tripod and other gear from bush whacking in the rain to a 9 mile trail hike the pack was extremely comfortable the only issue I ran into was more associate with the pants I was wearing causing the waist strap to rub but a quick change of pants fixed that. On a side note I am now getting a dedicated hunting rifle that will be closer to 8 pounds but carrying my beast around gave me a new respect for this solid pack.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.