• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Graphite bullet lube...

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    I used some graphite bullet lube today (CRC spray graphite) in new cases. WOW.

ES of 10 without it. 15 rounds. Labradar.

ES dropped substantially with it. I just about don’t want to publish it it was so incredible. ES dropped to the lowest I have

Are you saying you sprayed the whole bullet or are you swabbing the case neck with the lube before seating the bullet?

Just inside the necks? Are you spraying it on a brush and applying it to the necks?

I have been getting very low ES with my HBN coated bullets.... But even lower would be nice

Interested in the process. I dip my bullet bases in graphite powder. Wondering if your process would be better. Sounds pretty damn good!!!!

I spray the entire bullet completely black with the graphite, and then load the rounds. Once they are loaded I use an alcohol wipe to take the graphite off the protruding tips. I think a base dip probably gets it too. I don't mess with the necks at all.

I now do a whole box of 100 at a time on a cookie sheet. Spray - let dry - roll around some and spray again.

This gun/ammo combo (6.5 GAP 4S, Proof Barrel) has had some extremely low ES/SD situations already and this I think just took the cake.

Interesting...

Any speed reduction from the bare bullet to the graphite treated?

Suggestion; add some small amount of graphite to a pound jug of propellant/powder, and gently agitate it until it's quite likely the graphite is fully distributed.

I have, for years, been convinced that Moly is redundant as a bullet/bore dry lube coating, as graphite has already been a key kernel coating component for at least the past century (it's there as an electrical conductor tasked with preventing static electrical buildup which would be disastrous if static discharges became prevalent in propellants during handling/transportation).

IMHO, it's just another dry lube otherwise. When added to the propellant, it becomes part of the bore fouling, providing an accumulated bore coating. IMHO, the 'carbon fouling' that is normally present is coming from the kernel coatings; adding more graphite to the propellant simply provides a more dense bore coating, similar to what moly additives are doing. I suspect that using graphite instead of moly lube allows the dry lube to be more easily removed from the bore with conventional powder fouling solvents than would be feasible when using moly.

I suggest adding it to the propellant since that was suggested some time back as a less complicated means for incorporating moly into the reloading process.

It could also be mixed into an alcohol suspension for conditioning a clean bore, and the addition of a few drops of gun oil to the suspension might make the graphite coating more persistent prior to firing. One might easily substitute acetone for alcohol, too; but that might be undesirable if it causes problems with gun coatings.

The point is that the solvent should evaporate, leaving a uniform graphite bore coating behind.

Finally, the bore conditioner (minus the oil) might work as an internal case neck coating, and I would brush the neck interiors clean first.

No oil because I wouldn't want petroleum compounds near the propellant inside the cartridge.

Greg

Last edited:
    I use Redding/Imperial graphite. It is easy to apply. Comes in a nifty screw top container with a bunch of ceramic balls to apply the graphite to the inside of the neck. Just shake the container, unscrew the lid, dunk the neck into the ceramic balls, and bam! Graphite applied to the inside of the neck.

Interesting theory Greg. I have heard some similar notes to this bore treatment too.

i am going to try the Redding imperial graphite route soon - the main reason I took this approach was for consistent neck tension.

Reactions: jafo96
    Mulling this particular conversation, i draw another tentative conclusion; might it be that getting better ES numbers could be as simpler a matter as managing powder fouling more precisely? IMHO, neck tension consistency is strongly related to low ES. But I also think that graphite in the bore is another significant part of all this.

The subject of graphite and kernel coating has been such a given for at least the past century that I suspect it's possible that its more delicate implications could have evaded closer examination up until now.

I am in the midst of some load development projects right now. I don't even own a functional chrono these days, so that won't be a part of my upcoming testing. But once the loads are concluded, it should be a simple matter to see if including graphite in the propellant jug might have some manageable bearing on raw accuracy.

If that's a truth, then who needs a chrono to confirm this theory? The only significant truth ever has been what's shown on the target.

Greg

Last edited:
    Most graphite powder is 100% pure carbon. Would be interesting to see what happens - not just short term but long term too. Barrel life etc.

I would also think that at some point the graphite would slow the burn rate of the powder by forming an insulative barrier. I would approach this experiment with some precision in measuring the graphite added.

I got a berger bullets box of graphite i dip and twist. Not sure about es but seating pressure feels more consistent and so far at 700 my 308 is just over 1/2 moa at a steel target

This sounds a lot like what was said about moly 25 years ago. The problem with applied anything is that it builds up into something you can’t easily control. By all means test it, but give it a fair test, as unbiased as possible. It took near two decades to debunk moly completely. I see graphite as another near indestructible element that likely won’t lay down like you want it to over time. I know it’s a prominent ingredient in some powders.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Well, this is my concern as well. I think along the lines of, "...Well, it can't just be that simple...".

This is one that just can't be done right without a borescope. I always wanted an excuse to get one... Looking at the Lyman, with monitor, I get about $200 from Amazon, and nearly $300 for something that uses the same pictures to sell it at Midway. Tell me I'm missing something....

Greg

PS, Looking at upcoming issues, the Grand Caravan needs a trans seal and flush, tires are coming due, Elena's Mustang needs front suspension bushings. The Lyman is starting to look rather far down on the list of priorities. Wheels first, then deals...

Last edited: