• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grayboe Phoenix or KRG Bravo

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
After a few years behind my mostly OEM Tikka T3 CTR, its time to part ways with the stock.

TLDR: would you rather buy the KRG Bravo and "have it now" or wait 2 months and pay a little more for a Grayboe Phoenix?

In an ideal world, I would spend 800 or less on the replacement stock, have it within a month, and it wouldn't require fitting. Stock weight would be 3.5 lbs or less to be suitable for shooting paper (80% of use) and humping after coyote (15%) or running around the Colorado foothills after something or other with hooves (5%). If I had my druthers, the Grayboe Trekker and a stock pack with some foam would be right up my alley... but I've a T3 CTR and they don't have a mold for Tikka on that yet, or this thread wouldn't even be here, because I would have already ordered that.

Thoughts for bravo...
  1. Less expensive
  2. Right now
  3. CTR BM ready (but not in stealth gray or tan which is less good)
  4. Mostly good reputation (cheek piece is mixed)
Thoughts for Grayboe...
  1. Color I want
  2. Better adjustable cheek
  3. flexibility in the forend features
  4. Not plastic
  5. Wouldnt be in my hands until probably late July
Observations from threads on the 'Hide:
  • Since October, several Bravos for sale - only 1 or 2 in the PX are "I didn't like it" and mostly "preference", rather than "problem"
  • Mostly positive Bravo reputation here, although the cheek piece is frequently cited as the main drawback
  • People really like the modularity of the Bravo - which I definitely buy the spigot mount
  • Grayboe is new enough that the feedback isnt as robust, but what there is seems positive
  • Grayboe has some cosmetics from the molding process as artifacts that permit them to meet the speed, volume, and price point they offer - doesnt seem like a big deal

If less weight is a consideration, would the Phoenix be worth the wait? Does the Phoenix fit you better? The XRS is nice, but heavy for hunting. The Bravo may be a happy medium.

Reactions: Oddball Six
Grayboe makes a much better stock. There is no comparison between the two. You touched on the popularity of the Bravo. Its cheap and its available now. If you can wait and can afford to spend a little more then there is little reason to consider a KRG Bravo.

I have three Bravos and have had zero problems with the cheek piece. It’s that popular for a reason.

You might get a grayboe that doesn’t require bedding, you might not. They spray paint and texture all in the receiver inlet. No thanks.
Also the fit and finish on the grayboe I had was pretty bad, so much I sent it back. I’ve seen others the same way.

I would definitely recommend the Bravo but I’m a KRG guy with 3 bravos and a whiskey 3 folder. They’re good entry level chassis platforms. They can get pricey depending on the add on’s. Good luck and happy shooting

I can't really give you an unbiased opinion - I have a KRG W-3 w/ a Bravo back end (so basically a Bravo), I don't have a Phoenix. I generally like the Bravo. I also have a McMillan Game Scout and a Game Warden.

I can't really give you an unbiased opinion - I have a KRG W-3 w/ a Bravo back end (so basically a Bravo), I don't have a Phoenix. I generally like the Bravo. I also have a McMillan Game Scout and a Game Warden.

The game Warden is nice but expensive and a long wait. The bravo is apparently quite popular.

You might get a grayboe that doesn’t require bedding, you might not. They spray paint and texture all in the receiver inlet. No thanks.
Also the fit and finish on the grayboe I had was pretty bad, so much I sent it back. I’ve seen others the same way.
What kinds of fit and finish issues?

The game Warden is nice but expensive and a long wait. The bravo is apparently quite popular.

Yeah man, went between 4 and 6 months on my McM - the .mil discount took some of the pain out of the pricing. They ran mid-6 with edge fill/CF shell for me. Obviously, could have ordered them "regular" for a bit more weight and saved a few bones. I prefer the Game Scout of the two for a stock that is to be carried in the hand. The Game Warden is slightly flatter across the bottom owing to be a bit wider generally. Still pleasant in the hand, but not as much so as the Scout. The KRG is much wider/flatter in the hand than either. That makes it quite good for some types of shooting, and less so when carried. Square, flat bottom stocks are all the rage these days though, so certainly nothing to hold against the Bravo.

One of the things that pushed me to a custom stock was a 12.5" LOP. If I don't custom order that, there are very, very few options. If you're good shooting an off the rack LOP, life gets much easier.

To me, comparing the Grayboe Phoenix to the KRG Bravo, is like comparing apples to oranges. The Grayboe stocks are more for some one that is looking for a good midrange lightweight hunting stock with some accessory abilities. The KRG stocks are more for some one that is looking for a budget tactical stock with a good amount configurability and accessory abilities.

So if I was looking to build a light weight hunting rifle and had a large budget, I would do a Grayboe Terrain with the Grayboe bottom metal. Remember, the Grayboe stocks also need bottom metal for additional cost of around 150$ on top of the stock.

Another option for a light weight stock is AG Composites.

I’ve never seen a Grayboe stock that did not need to be bedded. And I’ve used a lot of them. That’s not to say that they are bad stocks, but they take a little massaging to get them right.

The Bravo will be more “set and forget” from day one, not to mention the countless accessories that you could add to make it to your liking (spigot, aluminum foreend, tool-less stock adjustment, etc).

Realistically there is no wrong answer, it’s just a matter of how much work you’re wanting to put in.

I think you would be crazy to pick the Grayboe over a Bravo, especially when you can use the DBM and mags you already have.

If you want something more expensive with less features, buy a Manners or a Foundation like everyone else: this is the Hide, stop being poor already.

If you want something more expensive with less features, buy a Manners or a Foundation like everyone else: this is the Hide, stop being poor already.
Amen! I work for Microsoft, my problem isn't the top line pay, its the wife who thinks we need chickens, goats, raised garden beds, ducks, a duck pond, some concrete and infrastructure in the barn and....

But. For the first time in our marriage, she didnt fight me on buying a new gun this month for no reason at all, and on buying a stock for myself for by birthday coming up. So, there is that....

I’ve got a Grayboe ridgeback, a Grayboe Phoenix, and a krg w3. The ridgeback needed a little sanding to remove the texture in the inlet, but it now has produced excellent results with two different actions, even without being bedded.

The stuff from krg is completely plug and play, with the backbone across all their chassis’s being essentially the same.

I have not fired the Phoenix yet, but I went ahead and am having it bedded. It’s a dedicated hunting stock for me, so I wanted the piece of mind. That said, the inlet was painted, but smooth and free of texture.

I see the Bravo vs Phoenix as more of a chassis vs stock thing. Both have benefits and drawbacks.
If you want something you can just drop the action in and not worry about, get the Bravo.

Amen! I work for Microsoft, my problem isn't the top line pay, its the wife who thinks we need chickens, goats, raised garden beds, ducks, a duck pond, some concrete and infrastructure in the barn and....

But. For the first time in our marriage, she didnt fight me on buying a new gun this month for no reason at all, and on buying a stock for myself for by birthday coming up. So, there is that....

I was joking!

...but seriously, you can try a Bravo, and if you don't like it you can sell it in the PX in no time and lose next to nothing. Lots of CTR's out there (with lots of owners looking to ditch the OEM stock).

While I do like the feel of the Grayboe, I did not like the fit and finish of the inlet on the one I had. I had to bed both the action and the bottom metall to make it look good. It shot great, but it took some work to get there.

I am a long time KRG fan and have had a W3 chassis of some flavour since 2015. Also had a Bravo at one time. KRG is good to go, just bolt your action to it, slap in a magazine and go shoot.

I really don't get any of the appeal of the Grayboe. For that money, I'd rather get a used McMillan, or just save a little more and get a new one, or get something like an HS (just wish they would start offering AICS compatible bottom metal).

Of the two, Bravo all day long, and you have a ton of money left over to add real features, like their Arca Spigot, or Whiskey-3 tail end, or upgrade to the ARCA foreend. I literally can't think of a single situation where the answer would ever be Grayboe, which isn't a knock on them, as much as it is a comment on all the great choices, features, and prices we have these days.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
After a few years behind my mostly OEM Tikka T3 CTR, its time to part ways with the stock.

TLDR: would you rather buy the KRG Bravo and "have it now" or wait 2 months and pay a little more for a Grayboe Phoenix?

In an ideal world, I would spend 800 or less on the replacement stock, have it within a month, and it wouldn't require fitting. Stock weight would be 3.5 lbs or less to be suitable for shooting paper (80% of use) and humping after coyote (15%) or running around the Colorado foothills after something or other with hooves (5%). If I had my druthers, the Grayboe Trekker and a stock pack with some foam would be right up my alley... but I've a T3 CTR and they don't have a mold for Tikka on that yet, or this thread wouldn't even be here, because I would have already ordered that.

Thoughts for bravo...
  1. Less expensive
  2. Right now
Thoughts for Grayboe...
  1. Color I want
  4. Not plastic
  • Since October, several Bravos for sale - only 1 or 2 in the PX are "I didn't like it" and mostly "preference", rather than "problem"
  • Mostly positive Bravo reputation here, although the cheek piece is frequently cited as the main drawback
  • People really like the modularity of the Bravo - which I definitely buy the spigot mount
  • Grayboe is new enough that the feedback isnt as robust, but what there is seems positive
  • Grayboe has some cosmetics from the molding process as artifacts that permit them to meet the speed, volume, and price point they offer - doesnt seem like a big deal
I got my Grayboe Phoenix from Red Hawk rifles and it was in stock. The only negative thing I would say about the Grayboe is the cheek piece position. If you are a scope crowder it will be fine. I'm not and it will bite me on the jaw line. One stock to look at not in your choices is a GRS . TOTALLY adjustable and super comfy. Only reason I didn't go with another GRS was weight. I went Grayboe to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Yep, so now you’re still .7 lbs lighter. People have paid more for less is all I’m saying.
My 7 SAUM latest build using a Grayboe Phoenix with a #4 contour barrel SS @ 22 in . M4 bottom metal, Nucleus action ended up weighing exactly 8# with a Dead Air Nomad 30 attached. Not a fly weight but definitely will be easier to carry than a 10#. I'm not really sure if I like the stock or not, I hate the cheekpiece and that alone may get it replaced with a GRS.

My 7 SAUM latest build using a Grayboe Phoenix with a #4 contour barrel SS @ 22 in . M4 bottom metal, Nucleus action ended up weighing exactly 8# with a Dead Air Nomad 30 attached. Not a fly weight but definitely will be easier to carry than a 10#. I'm not really sure if I like the stock or not, I hate the cheekpiece and that alone may get it replaced with a GRS.
Mine’s on a 22” 7saum as well. I like the Grayboe ergos though. Personal preference definitely plays a large role.

@larryh128 - out of curiosity, what drives you crazy about the cheekpiece? it seems to be the most cited weak point of the bravo, and the first time I am hearing it on the Grayboe.

What did you think of fit and finish?

I bought a used 6BR that came with a Grayboe stock but not sure of the model. Soon after that I did a 6X47L build with a Bravo. Both of the guns shoot under 0.5MOA consistently but I feel like the Bravo is a more solid/easier platform to shoot on.

I prefer a more traditional stock and have both the Grayboe Terrain and Adj Renegade. They may not have the following or fit and finish of a Manners or McMillan, but they don't carry the price tag either. Both of mine have needed a small amount of tweaking which I somewhat contribute to being LH long action inlets, one a LH LA Tikka T3 that you can't hardly even find a chassis configured for. I have no complaints.

I think it really boils down to your preference over a chassis or more traditional stock, and you can't really go wrong with either of your options.

I’ve had my CTR in a KRG Bravo as well as a McMillan game hunter with stock bottom metal.

overall, the bravo is more suited to bench/prone shooting with its angles, weight and configurability. Whereas the McMillan is more comfortable to shoot off hand and carry in the field. However, I’ve shot a lot of critters with both and currently have my T1x in the game hunter. Sold the bravo.

I’m on week 10 of my wait for what is supposedly the first ever Grayboe Phoenix for the CTR. I’m hoping it bridges the gap between the bravo and the game hunter as a true crossover stock. If it is, I’ll be ordering one for my T1x as well. If it’s not, I’ll likely go back to the bravo and order one for the T1x too.

Bravo all day every day between the two.

I say to toss the mdt xrs into the hat though.
The Bravo is a bit utilitarian, but a great stock/chasis. The XRS is definitely an upgrade from the Bravo. It would be my pick. But it is about a pound heavier.
Like them both. Never owned a Grayboe, but they do look nice.

Thoughts for bravo...
  1. Less expensive
  2. Right now
Thoughts for Grayboe...
  1. Color I want
  4. Not plastic
KRG BRAVO AND KEEP YOUR TIKKA MAGAZINES . LOVE THE TIKKA MAGAZINES FOR SURE. KRG MAKES A STOCK THAT ALLOWS YOU TO KEEP YOUR TIKKA MAGAZINES.

Reactions: Bravo6
Krg bravo- customizable options galor and excellent quality base for your boom stick

@larryh128 - out of curiosity, what drives you crazy about the cheekpiece? it seems to be the most cited weak point of the bravo, and the first time I am hearing it on the Grayboe.

It's not long enough. I might move my scope forward to see if I can cure the issue but my cheek ends up being partially on the corner (back) of the cheekpiece and its not a great feeling under recoil. If I can't cure it, I'm putting another GRS under it and not worrying about a pound.

Finish is fine, it definitely needs to be bedded. I would have thought it would fit a 700 clone action MUCH better than it did. My 2 GRS stocks I've used were total straight on bolt on and go. No bedding needed. Both were hunting rifles with 700 clones, good barrels, good triggers and both turned in sub .300 groups at 300 yds with hunting bullets. The Grayboe bedded in has done 1 hole at 100 but 300+ is a work in progress. A bit frustrating as I've never had that big of an issue tuning a 7SAUM. I'm thinking hard about bolting it in one of my GRS stocks and see what happens.

The Phoenix has a LOT of flex in the forend, especially with the inlet mlok rail, then to a pic rail, then to your bipod, with your wrist you can flex the stock left and right. Loading into the bipod, it flexes a lot as well. Mine was to be a lightweight build but ended up @ 7.3# I was hoping under 7. I also have a prs build in a krg bravo. The stock does well in that purpose, although I wish you could weight the butt end w/o steel spacers as I like the factory LOP. The mdt xrs has a much lower profile forend which like. It lacks the adjustment in butt however.
Put steel bull plugs I use 1/2inch plugs and wrap it with electrical tape to make very snug fit gives you plenty of weight and you can also add one in the pistol grip if you need more weight.

Attachments

• 9A084A07-98A0-471D-813F-DF0E708AA0B5.png
    9A084A07-98A0-471D-813F-DF0E708AA0B5.png
    806.4 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: khuber84