• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Grayboe Ridgeback vs XLR Element 3.0

slm222

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
I have access to either the Ridgeback or XLR Element 3.0 through a vendor, I was hoping to hear feedback on which would be recommended to go with for a 300 WM.

Thank you in advance

Do you prefer a stock, or a chassis? Both will serve you just fine, and are well established brands at this point, but you need to figure out which you prefer.

For me, I have a heavy preference for stocks. They just fit me better overall, and feel better. There are a few chassis that feel like a stock that I also really like, and a few chassis that fit me well, but at the end of the day, a stock feels more natural. Only real exception is the AI chassis, which I actually really liked.

Try to get behind both and see which feels more natural to you, then go that route. They're going to feel very different, so only you can decide.

Eh this is more of a stock vs chassis question.

I had the Grayboe Ridgeback. It was ok for what it was. Still had to skim bed it. The rear end of the stock is great the front end is ok. I don't care for the Mlock attachments. When hunting in bad weather the mlock rails managed to start to oxidize. Under the barrel channel there is a place to add weights which is nice for benchrest but it would collect water, dirt ect when varmint hunting.

Stock was very stiff and strong never really could get it to make contact with the barrel. The "bubble level" was never accurate. The gun would be level but the bubble on the stock said it was canted. It may need beeded or the cut out needs cleaned and squared.

Stock is heavy so the gun really doesn't go anywhere when your shooting. The forend is nice and flat so it sits really well on barricades , logs, ect but be careful of what you use to attach a sling and bipod. Get a single unit not a swivel mount and bipod stud. That takes a lot of real estate and you loose the flat forend.

The cheek rest is easy to adjust and stays put. If your shooting a 700, the cut for the ejection port is cut well, the cut for bolt handle/safety (The peak at the tang) is a little low so it looks weird. More of a looks issue.

I would go with the Renegade and have an adjustable cheek rest cut out and installed be ahead. A few companies do the conversion. Some report it has an uncomfortable grip and angle and the cheek rest didn't go high enough. I never had issues with that worked well otherwise.

Reactions: BluePhoenix
Thank you both for your input. The boxy look and M-Lok rails are what is turning me away from the Ridgeback. The Element is a little lighter and modular which seems like a plus to me, but it just looks extremely front heavy given their buttstock configuration.

If there was a way to lighten up the Ridgeback I think I would lean that route just due to being more used to a stock.

Thank you both for your input. The boxy look and M-Lok rails are what is turning me away from the Ridgeback. The Element is a little lighter and modular which seems like a plus to me, but it just looks extremely front heavy given their buttstock configuration.

If there was a way to lighten up the Ridgeback I think I would lean that route just due to being more used to a stock.
I don’t have a Gen 3 element but my Gen 1 and 2 elements really aren’t very hefty in the front.
With a hunting profile barrel or proof I’d guess they balance out nicely.

Just in regards to the forend being heavy the chassis balances really well by itself even with the carbon buttstock.
- Element 3.0 Magnesium chassis block (no buttstock or grip) is 16 ounces. Majority of that weight is around the action inlet.
- Carbon buttstock is just shy of 12 ounces, and then depending on which grip you add that too adds weight farther back.

Just in regards to the forend being heavy the chassis balances really well by itself even with the carbon buttstock.
- Element 3.0 Magnesium chassis block (no buttstock or grip) is 16 ounces. Majority of that weight is around the action inlet.
- Carbon buttstock is just shy of 12 ounces, and then depending on which grip you add that too adds weight farther back.
thank you for replying, i wish i could do the Magnesium but its a little out of my range. I am looking at the aluminum version, how does that balance with your standard buttstock and ergo grip?

4AB5E154-9723-4EDA-9DC8-3F1B2AC3E9A2.jpeg

Id go element over the grayboe every day of the week and twice on sunday

The butt stock tube is a bit thicker than the normal tubes on an ar and it just balances well, I dont have a pic of it other than hunting but shooting off my wire spools and it rode the game changer just in front of the magwell fine.

For off hand its front heavy, for bag and bipod shooting its fine.

I have access to either the Ridgeback or XLR Element 3.0 through a vendor, I was hoping to hear feedback on which would be recommended to go with for a 300 WM.

Thank you in advance
I like my xlr carbon alot, For the money, Krg is hard to beat aswell.

If you keep an eye open on Xlr's website, they sometimes run specials on "cosmetic blems" No problem if you are going to paint or Cerakote it anyways.

Krg sometimes does this aswell but not as often.

View attachment 7277484

Id go element over the grayboe every day of the week and twice on sunday

The butt stock tube is a bit thicker than the normal tubes on an ar and it just balances well, I dont have a pic of it other than hunting but shooting off my wire spools and it rode the game changer just in front of the magwell fine.

For off hand its front heavy, for bag and bipod shooting its fine.
Listen to this Luchador!!, He speaks the truth and has magical eagle egg powers!!!