• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Green or Red lit reticle?

300WSM

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2004
WI
I've heard red is easier on your eyes. I've heard that green doesn't blend in like red does. So for all you covert snipers out there what's the best? and WHY? heh this should go over well.

Re: Green or Red lit reticle?

I hope <span style="color: red">red</span> is best because I just mailed my down payment for my new USO 3.2-17 with GEN II XR reticle. Now sit here and wait 4 months...
mad.gif

lol hey it's a custom scope!

You did the right thing, the green is way too bright IMO. When mine was green lit it was barely usable on level 1 and useless on level 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope <span style="color: red">red</span> is best because I just mailed my down payment for my new USO 3.2-17 with GEN II XR reticle. Now sit here and wait 4 months...
mad.gif
</div></div>

Got the same scope on the way. Down to about 2 months. I have compared the red and green back and forth against each other. I prefer the red. My eye picks up targets quicker with the red reticle than the green. The green seems to overpower the image in low light situations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope <span style="color: red">red</span> is best because I just mailed my down payment for my new USO 3.2-17 with GEN II XR reticle. Now sit here and wait 4 months...
mad.gif
</div></div>

Got the same scope on the way. Down to about 2 months. I have compared the red and green back and forth against each other. I prefer the red. My eye picks up targets quicker with the red reticle than the green. The green seems to overpower the image in low light situations.</div></div>

2 months! nice. How is the process going? Do they keep in touch at all or give you any updates?

Shooot. I'm not a covert sniper...

Sticking with red for now, as its always worked. I have a green one too, but I can't tell if one is better than the other.

Honestly though, I have had a bunch of scopes with illuminated reticles and haven't replaced a single battery, ever. Which means I don't use it a whole heck of a lot. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of guys here that are in the same boat. They just don't get used as much as people think they need them.

Green, red, I dunno.

Doesn't Counter Sniper offer a Blue one? Or was it purple with pink hold overs powered by a Sodium-Graphite reactor housed in the Bertrillium Zantitium encased, hard earth sealed, mini turret that has been rare earth purged? I'm not sure, but I HURD ITS PURDY!!!

Green if you have NVG, red if you want to preserve the night vision adaptability of your Mod1Mk0 eyeballs.

I like red, but my USO SSDS has green.

doesn't green and red look the same under NV ?

I have red on mine. Used it a couple of times at dusk/dawn and it seems to work quite well.

The human eye is 4x more sensitive to green light than it is to red. Apparently this sensitivity gap becomes even greater at night - which would explain the green IR's tendency to appear too bright and distract from the target.

I would say you made the right choice with red

Is black illumination an option? I like black. It goes with everything.