• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision green vs white phosphor...

kentuckycoyle

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2014
Anderson, KY
I can't find a shop for me to try out different NVRS and really just need to get everyones opinion on the green vs white. The two NVRS I have in mind are Armasight CO-X QS and CO-X HD. Resolution on the QS is 51-72lp/mm and 54-72lp/mm on the HD I'm pretty sure. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've used both. My green tube is higher quality but I find white to be easier on the eyes. Something about the black/white image just seems to strain my eye less. Maybe because it's the same color as my lwts so switching back and forth isn't such a shock to the eyeball. I'm sure those who are more educated on the topic will chime in. Where ya at Pete?

That's what I'm hearing from some, as well as what I'm thinking. I also hear the the HD is the way to go. I figure its really just personal preference but Id like everyone's input. Thank you for yours.

White Phosphor Image Intensifiers

The traditional green phosphors tend to enhance the etherial experience of image intensifiers, at least that's my personal take, and putting all other performance aspects aside.

I'm very keen to acquire an L3 CHROME, ITT White Phosphor tube and possibly a Photonis WP.

The reduced integration for the P-45 arising from the short persistence is the only aspect I'm not keen on. Seems the short persistence would reduce the integrating effect the P-43 phosphor has on the actual SNR as seen by the eye. In at the perfect world, two perfectly matched tubes, one being the P-45 and the other P-43, the P-45 would be seen by the eye as having a lower SNR than the P-43 tube. The integrating affect phosphor can dramatically alter the actual SNR seen by the eye as apposed to that which has been measured via photometry instruments.

Here's a bit of marketing from ITT on their WP tubes: http://www.exelisinc.com/capabiliti...ocuments/Exelis-White-Phosphor-Technology.pdf

Last edited:
I've used both. My green tube is higher quality but I find white to be easier on the eyes. Something about the black/white image just seems to strain my eye less. Maybe because it's the same color as my lwts so switching back and forth isn't such a shock to the eyeball. I'm sure those who are more educated on the topic will chime in. Where ya at Pete?

It should be called light blue phosphor in my opinion, at least that's my impression of it. I have been waiting on high quality WPTs for a while now and have been skeptical to say the least. I saw some foreign made stuff a couple of years back and was way less than impressed. That being said I did get a chance to check these out live recently and I will say at this juncture, I am HIGHLY intrigued. Granted what I was looking at was a way high end US made tube but it was something to behold. I know that green offers more gradations of a monochromatic scene but this was super interesting to see. I will pick on up to test here shortly. More to follow on these. By the way, the good ones are EXPENSIVE ! ! !

I looked at buying a L3 chrome tube but the dealers I spoke with never gave me a price so I never bought one.

I looked at buying a L3 chrome tube but the dealers I spoke with never gave me a price so I never bought one.

Not many people stock them, and there is a lead time so they then have to keep tabs on that. If you really want one, they are obtainable with a wait and some monies. If it was a manufacturer that was more into small quantities and easier to get updates from, I think you'd encounter little more eagerness to help you get one. Several units in the .mil are using them currently, so most of the production goes there.

I have been using a demo WTP for over a month now. The image clarity can differ from tube to tube same as in standard NV tech, but i will agree with MCB223 that the WPT is much easier on the eyes. They both have the same limitations and advantages it seems. you can not see anything any better than a green unit but it definitely feels more natural making movement with the WPT units.

shoot me an e-mail if your interested in pricing.

Jake Plunkett
USA Tactics LLC
[email protected]
770-324-3792

I have been using a demo WTP for over a month now. The image clarity can differ from tube to tube same as in standard NV tech, but i will agree with MCB223 that the WPT is much easier on the eyes. They both have the same limitations and advantages it seems. you can not see anything any better than a green unit but it definitely feels more natural making movement with the WPT units.

shoot me an e-mail if your interested in pricing.

Jake Plunkett
USA Tactics LLC
[email protected]
770-324-3792

Do you have L-3's "Chrome" WP tube? I think they will hit pretty big when they are finally easier to obtain. It will also kind of crush the internet misconception that WP is less of a performer than green, and that they are hard on your eyes. It is easy to tell when you are hearing advice on WP tubes from someone who has never seen one, but is parroting info seen online. If you haven't tried it yet, put a Wilcox amber filter on your White phosphor unit. I really like the image it provides.