• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greetings From SoCal!

cjetski

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Greetings Everybody!

I have been lurking the Forums for awhile and am excited to break into the world of precision shooting. If anyone lives in the SoCal area and can recommend local matches or ranges where enthusiasts gather that I can learn from, it would be much appreciated!

Some history on my interest: I first became intrigued by precision shooting in 2013, but being a full time student and ROTC Cadet, didn't have the time, funds, or facilities to support it. Now that I have a healthy bit of expendable income, I can finally justify the expense.

My experience: I am no stranger to firearms, however the intricacies of precision shooting, equipment optimization, reloading, wind reading, calibers larger than .223, and ranges beyond 300m are new areas for me. You could say I've entered the field in something of a "cold" status, so I look forward to being overwhelmed with expert advice and best practices.

My equipment: Having a scholastic background, research isn't just easy it's a compulsion, so I like to think my money has been well spent thus far. Part of my original pensiveness getting into this way of life was making sure that when I did, I did it right. I have already purchased a Remington 700p 26" .308 Win, which I am sure many are familiar with. I went with this bat because I understood the QC on these time-tested rifles to be better than another variant like the SPS, with an already solid stock. In addition, it seems the .308 is a better Bullet for forcing newbies like myself to learn how to adjust for varying wind conditions and bullet drop.

I have yet to buy a scope as I'm trying to select a model that will last me damn near forever and cover a wider spectrum of applications. I'm not looking for anyone to validate my purchasing decisions, but the likely suspect is the Vortex Gen II Razor 3-18x50.

I do not have the capability to start reloading yet, but I will make it happen once I have more experience and a good bit of match brass.

My intention: Working my way to becoming proficient up to 800m, observing and/or participating in events at these distances, selecting an optimum factory match cartridge to start building D.O.P.E. while breaking in my rifle, start reloading once able, and eventually graduate into further distances.

I am almost a blank sheet at this point, so any advice on whether I'm on the right path, tips, or suggestions for events in my area are very welcome!

socal is a VERY large area, waht part of socal are you in? I'm currently in barstow for now but hoping to get back to a free state shortly.

I am stationed at Fort Irwin for the next 18 or so months. I say Socal because I'm willing to drive where ever I need to 1. Get away from Fort Irwin and 2. Keep all options open. I feel you on the free state part, definitely took my home state for granted, though at least the riding spots are decent. How long have you been in Barstow?

Cali does suck, but on the good side, you’re in the largest county in the country and you have near endless long range shooting opportunities. Welcome!

I am stationed at Fort Irwin for the next 18 or so months. I say Socal because I'm willing to drive where ever I need to 1. Get away from Fort Irwin and 2. Keep all options open. I feel you on the free state part, definitely took my home state for granted, though at least the riding spots are decent. How long have you been in Barstow?

ROFL nice, small world, just got home from there an hour or so ago. Im a civ contractor out at the fort, you with a TAFF or something else out there?

As far as shooting spots ft irwin road has quite a few shooting spots as well as the calguns zombie shoot once a year. if you keep an eye out for the URSA souther section shoot you can watch some of the best come out and shoot 2-3k yards off ft irwin road as well.

ETA - i lived in barstow from 2000 to aorund 2007 and just moved back last august from vegas.

Thanks Supersubes!
@07yzryder I have seen quite a few people plinking in the Calico and Coolgardy regions. I'm pretty new, so not sure how much I'll appreciate those ELR shots. That's why I'm looking for regular PRS-style matches locally to start weaning myself into it. I don't envy your daily commute.