• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greetings from the Pacific North West

iostreamz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2018
Greetings all,

I am recent transplant from South Florida now in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm never going back.

I am looking to learn the precision shooting craft. I am a complete beginner to long range shooting but have some some previous training with pistols and ARs in a defensive capacity.

My goal is to start small (<=100 yards) increasing my distance as competency increases (<=500 yards)...and eventual possible competition if the bug bite me hard enough. I have settled on a bolt-action rifle with a 20 inch barrel, possibly a Remington 700. I have purchased a highly recommended book by Ryan Cleckner and am currently reading through it. I intend to receive some formal training in the form of single and multi-day courses once I am confident in my skills to manipulate my weapon system on the bench and consistently perform at 100 yards while understanding the concepts behind doing so.

However I have some questions and would love some insight.

- 308 Win or 6.5 CM ?

- Do I need to reload my own ammo to be effective in this endeavor ?
- I do not know if I want to reload my own ammo, maybe in the future but right now space at home is an issue so for now it is a definite no.

- Assuming I purchase a rifle and a decent scope, are there any critical modifications that I need to make right away or can I just start shooting (trigger, stock, etc)..

- Aside from the obvious (rifle, scope, ammo, etc) is there anything else that I should make sure I have when I start shooting ?

PS, I have no intentions to hunt at all, now or in the future...in case this has an effect on advice and recommendations.

Thanks !!!