• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grendel build or buy

MonsTeRZeRo762

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
Dumas, Tx
Alright I'm new to this so stick with me, I'm wanting a Grendel 6.5 but cannot decide whether to buy a complete on from Les baer or alexander arms or build one. I would like a ss bull barrel but am open to suggestions. Just debating on price which would be cheaper. Also I'm taking suggestions for literature for long range how to work understanding ballastics and such thanks again for helping m out.

Re: Grendel build or buy

What is your expectations with this rifle since your looking to save a few bucks? When I look at rifles these days especially for precision what will XXX more or less get me. The answer is usually to spend a little more to get what I want and what is better quality.

Check out http://www.specializeddynamics.com/ for some sweet custom work.

I know this is my first post on this particular forum. But, I have been around quite some time. I have owned several AR's. I prefer to build all my rifles now. When you buy a rifle, it usually comes with items you don't want, and doesn't have some items you do want. It's senseless to spend the money for the items you don't want. You also have to take into account that you are paying that particular manufacturer to assemble said rifle. If you build it yourself, you can buy what you want and set it up like you want from step one. It also tends to be about 30 percent cheaper to build yourself. AR's are fun and user friendly to build. AR15.com has a build it yourself area that is a big help when doing your build (although it is also an annoying forum). If you go to 65grendel.com they can help you further with the different options available. All the 6.5 grendel vendors have links at the top of that forum. Hope that helps a little.

Mutt

1k or out longer is what I'm expecting from this rifle. With that being said someone told me that I could use a 556 lower is that true? I didn't really think it was because I know it's a longer bullet and requires a it's own mag. Also since I'm expecting great accuracy I should use a heavy ss bull barrel right, then I was thinking that I should have the end of the barrel threaded but was debating on a compensator not really sure or should I just leave the barrel alone 20, 22, or 24" I'm really at a egg beater of a fork in the middle of know where. I plan on using a mark4 either 6.5 or 8 with tmr recticle mounted on Larue spr what do yall think? Yes I'm from Texas hook em horns!

Dont forget most gunsmiths can order a reamer that has nearly identical dimentions it wont have the same name or engraving but will function the same and you can use the same dies. This way you can end up with a better barrel and usually a more accurate setup for the same or less cost. I say build it. If you shop around for deals or get a smith that doenst care about making money on parts you can use their dealer discount to save you a bunch of coin. Most of the barrel makers can get you a barrel quicker than you can get one from AA. That being said you can find them on the shelf at some places too.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MonsTeRZeRo762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1k or out longer is what I'm expecting from this rifle. Yes I'm from Texas hook em horns! </div></div>

If you are looking to shoot out to 1,000 + yards you need more powder behind the bullet - .260 AR-10 platform would be better with a 24-26" barrel.

You are in Texas, but barely LOL. I'll be heading through your neck of the woods going to Colorado soon.

Build your own. Barrel and bolt are the only thing different from 5.56. Mags are the same you just have to sometimes tweek the feedlips or run p-mags tweeked. Too many AR parts on the market for a low price due to economy to pass up the savings of doing it yourself.A little surfing should find all needed for your build. Screw waiting for a "builder" to ship one you will have to change to suit your needs. And steer clear of Alexander Arms over priced ,long backoder and their quality control sucks.They marketed the 6.5 Grendel but are far from supporting the platform or their other offerings (Gengis,Beowulf)And Les Bauar thinks he is the Arlen Ness of the weapon world everything with his name on it cost double.I think he and Bill Alexander are dating or just friends with benefits!Well they ain't gonna screw this white boy.
Scot

Alright that helps alot seriously! Any recommendation on barrel and bolt? What about twist rate 1/9 1/8.75 1/8? Was I right about the barrel though heavy ss bull. Superde I'll be head north also for some prime ime elk in colo. I'm down where your at 2-5 times a year for ERT training fire rescue hazmat etc. Scot man than for all the help that is alot of weight off my back. Superde I don't have a reloader yet that's why I was thinking 6.5 Grendel.

I like a fast twist rate,long barrels,(18 to 24) and heavy bullets.You really need to get into reloading to mess with a caliber like the Grendel. Brass is out there and you can fireform 7.62 x 39 brass after running it thru a grendel die.You won't find grendel on the shelf too much but it is out there. In these times all ammo is pricey so w.t.f.!!Sattern,Stoner(thru midway) have barrel/bolts find one in stock or cruise the grendel,com site and find somebody who needs to dump a project or parts to deal with all the CHANGE we are going thru.When in north Ga. Let me know G.A.P. is 5 miles from me.and 4 shops I deal with that sell AR stuff.
Scot

I know a lot of people don't speak highly, but I have an ER Shaw barrel that I got through Model 1 Sales on my grendel and it shoots great. It's medium weight. Actually (not to open a can of worms) but a bull barrel doesn't increase accuracy. What it does do is decrease the effect of heat (i.e shooting multiple rounds) has in respect to warping. But I can shoot a five shot string with about a 1-3 second break between shots and put all five rounds in under 3/4" at 100 yards. I can also say from experience that the Grendel is at it's limit at 1K yards. Even with it's most capable long range bullet (Lapua 123 gr Scenar) it drops below 1,100 fps at around 1,030 yards with reasonable muzzle velocities. 1k yard shots can definitely be made, and I have done it several times. But it's pushing the envelope of the grendel. Also, if you're planning on elk hunting with it, you're going likely want to be shooting the Barnes TTSX bullet which with most Grendel velocities is only good out to about 400-500 max, and that's assuming excellent shot placement.
Just as another posted on here, you definitely need to be a reloader to make the grendel shine, the ammo that's out there isn't the best and is very expensive and difficult to get. But I get my brass from Bruno shooting supply for pretty reasonable and I get atleast 5-10 loads out of my cases.

I highly encourage you to get in to the grendel, but it's not a "plug and play" round. I would be more than happy to talk about grendel specifics if you want, I'm really in to the round myself and personally I think it's the epitome of what the AR-15 platform is capable of.

I have heard Shaw has some good stuff. Lother Walther made my Beowulf 24" Barrel and it's a shooter.I prefer longer barrels and I think they need to be on the heavy side(contor) but fluted to reduce weight.But remember Barrels are like women every one is a little different and until you run a few loads down their bore you don't know if they will suit your needs! The Grendel will punch paper at 1k. But it is not a elk round after 200 I.M.O.Face it it,s a 7.72 x39 AK round in a silk skirt, Better projectile BUT Not a long range hunter.You want to hunt long range? AR10 260 or it's various forms. Not enough case cap. in a /39 case to drive past 200 and kill .Before every Grendel guy flame on's. I don't want to hear about the 800yd shot at a acorn story. Unless you eye shoot elk at 800 it don't apply!Anything past 200 I want all I can get.Might neck down a 7mm R.U.M to 6.5 and shoot 200gr 6.5 turned bullets talk about B.C. /SD. Now thats a 1k Elk load!!!
Scot

Won't be using the Grendel for elk, I have a 7mm mag and or a AR10 .308 for that. It's more like my back up for my 308. I just heard all these stories and everybody speak so highly of the Grendel round I thought I'd give it a whirl. I think I'm gonna use a Larue upper and Rockriver lower the only riddle I'm trying to riddle is what and which barrel and bolt. And whether or not I need a comp on the end of the barrel um thinking with a 20-22" hvy ss fluted bbl twist rate maybe 1/8 I just don't know yet. Crap!

Build for sure. i have built 3 of them, and am very happy building them. gives you a bit more satisfaction too i think. Lets you learn your rifle as well.