• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

grendel cfe 223

matthew314

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2008
Minnesota
Anyone tried loading there grendel with cfe 223 yet. I have read about people getting great velocity numbers and accuracy from this powder especially with the heavy bullets. Any input would be great almost ready to finish my build and looking to find some powders to try.

Re: grendel cfe 223

I think people are getting great results with that powder I have a lb to try but I'm still waiting for my barrel

Check over on 65grendel.com. I think there is a long thread about that powder

Im using tac for the lighter bullets & 8208xbr for the heavier ones. Check out grendel.com for some great info as said above.

im running 31.8 grains with a 123 amax in hornaday cases with cci 450 primer and getting 2724 ftps.

here is a whole list of bullet and charges.

www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?2804-More-Chrony-reports!!-((WARNING!))-lots-of-pics.

Thanks for the info guys. I read through the linked post and it sounds like cfe 223 is adding an extra 100 fps. Sounds to good to be true. Has anyone tried the 140 grain bullets with cfe they seem to be getting a big boost near creedmoor speeds.

Don't try to get creedmoor speeds. Creedmoor runs about 10gr more powder. That's why I built a creedmoor since im getting the run around on my Grendel barrel. The problem with the 140s is that when you seat them deep enough to fit in mag they eat up case capacity. I plan on sticking to 123s or less in the Grendel of I ever get the barrel.

I know I will never get creedmoor speeds but 2500+ fps with a 142 smk from a 24" barrel is impressive. If you put those numbers in a calculater you get less drift and more energy then the 123's. My only concern is what Azprc talks about and that's temp sensitivity. Minnesota gets hot and cold seasons and if there is a big swing in velocities from winter to summer cfe might not be worth it.

seems that some guys have temp stability issues and others dont. I have shot in 60 deg through 85 degree and have not noticed any problems and that was in one day. My dopes didnt change all day. I was shooting to 1k with the same dope from morning to evening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I will never get creedmoor speeds but 2500+ fps with a 142 smk from a 24" barrel is impressive. If you put those numbers in a calculater you get less drift and more energy then the 123's. My only concern is what Azprc talks about and that's temp sensitivity. Minnesota gets hot and cold seasons and if there is a big swing in velocities from winter to summer cfe might not be worth it. </div></div>

Who is getting 2500 from a grendel with 142's? That is for the 123's out of the grendel. I am currently running the 108's at 2780 ish from a 20", the only thing the 123's do better is downrange energy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I will never get creedmoor speeds but 2500+ fps with a 142 smk from a 24" barrel is impressive. If you put those numbers in a calculater you get less drift and more energy then the 123's. My only concern is what Azprc talks about and that's temp sensitivity. Minnesota gets hot and cold seasons and if there is a big swing in velocities from winter to summer cfe might not be worth it. </div></div>

Who is getting 2500 from a grendel with 142's? That is for the 123's out of the grendel. I am currently running the 108's at 2780 ish from a 20", the only thing the 123's do better is downrange energy. </div></div>

Im getting 2724 out of the 123s. 2500 with a 140 is not out of tbe question

If you hit the link above you will find lots of info on cfe and many other powders there is a pdf spread sheet that shows 2 separate powders that can get 2500+ fps from a 142 smk. It also has a few loads that will get 130 grainers moving at 2600+ fps. Oxn what barrel length and powder are you using to get those velocities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hit the link above you will find lots of info on cfe and many other powders there is a pdf spread sheet that shows 2 separate powders that can get 2500+ fps from a 142 smk. It also has a few loads that will get 130 grainers moving at 2600+ fps. Oxn what barrel length and powder are you using to get those velocities. </div></div>

Im using cfe and a 24" barrel. I have hit 2750 but backed it down to the accuracy node