• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grendel SBR?

Bevan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
Anyone got one?

Looking 12-14" and hoping for 123's @ 2300-2400

reasonable?

Re: Grendel SBR?

Why not? The numbers don't look that bad between 20" and 16" on AA's website. Extrapolating, 12-14" would still be light years ahead of the .223.

no love for the 6.8spc? designed for SBR's My 6.8psd 8 incher launches Barnes 85 gr TSX's @ 2600fps

I just got mine put together recently. I haven't had a chance to chrono, or even shoot it past 25 yards yet, but it's fed, fired and ejected everything I've run through it so far. It's not as light or quick as my 10.5" 5.56, but it's a thumper. Mine sports a 12.5" Black Hole Weaponry poly 1-8" twist barrel. My next purchase will be a .308 suppressor so I can use it both on the Grendel and my FAL.

grendel_sbr1.jpg

grendel_sbr3.jpg

Cool, let me know what 120's or 123's chrono at when you find out please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no love for the 6.8spc? designed for SBR's My 6.8psd 8 incher launches Barnes 85 gr TSX's @ 2600fps </div></div>

I'm after something short + suppressed (so ~12" barrel max when you have can as well) that I can kill things up close and a bit further away, it'll sport a 1-8 short dot whenever I can get my hands on one, 6.5 has the better longer range ballistics than the 6.8, I also considered the .300 blackout

What's required to change .223 AR mags to Grendel? Just new followers? And I'll need a different bolt clearly. Anything else?

Grendel mags have diffrent feedlips and followers. The Feedlips are smaller and shorter. But 6.8 mags feed 6.5 grendel. I have noticed however if you fill the mag completely full, the top of the mag begins to spread apart and it wont go into the magwell without some muscle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same as 7.62x39 mags? </div></div>

No, the 7.62x39 has more taper and requires more mag curvature than the relatively straight body Grendel. Same company (C Products) who makes them.

--Rootshot

I have been wanting to get a Pmag, grind the feed-lips to match the feed-lips on my Grendel mags, pull the follower and build it up to the same level as the Grendel follower with epoxy then file it smooth.

I don't know if it would work though, but it would be worth a try and the $10-15 a Pmag costs.

building a 14" Grendel as we speak--do not own a chrono but expect results as per the website--will SBR it when I get back
to my native country of TEXAS (God's country)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grendel and short barrels don't mix. </div></div>

That's far from true

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no love for the 6.8spc? designed for SBR's My 6.8psd 8 incher launches Barnes 85 gr TSX's @ 2600fps </div></div>

I'm after something short + suppressed (so ~12" barrel max when you have can as well) that I can kill things up close and a bit further away, it'll sport a 1-8 short dot whenever I can get my hands on one, 6.5 has the better longer range ballistics than the 6.8, I also considered the .300 blackout </div></div>

12" barrel and can?! Good luck with that..... Your looking at a 6 or 7" barrel as most 308 cans are 5"-6". Thus defeating the purpose of the cartridge. I'd say no shorter then a 12" barrel + the suppressor

You clearly misunderstand, I mean 12" barrel + can on top of that. Roedale Delta IV or Delta III can so only ~5 inches length

You will loose way too much velocity. If you want a short barrel like that I would suggest the 7.62x39, 6.8SPC or another cartridge.

The internal dimensions of the Grendel mags are much different than 5.56 mags. Take a look at the rearward most indentation in the Grendel mags...it is very shallow to accommodate the fatter Grendel cartridge..

I have tried putting Grendel rounds in a 5.56 mag, and done all the normal stuff you would try...springs, followers, changing feed lips. In the end it was just a way to waste an afternoon, with no success getting the 5.56 mags to be worth the effort.

SBR's aren't for velocity they are for ease of handling. Velocity is a none issue in the build. I have an upper on the way to a smith right now for a 12" Grendel build. I have read and seen video on tests of this setup and its a HAMMER.

Try it out....

still no velocity numbers on this round in a SBR? I can see it on a 16 inch plus platform but a 12 incher,,,I dont know. and whats the mission/purpose?

I read somewhere (Arfcom? It was the only result I could get in google) a post of a guy who had one and was getting 2300+ with 120gr bullets, with 123gr amax at that speed it'd kill well enough for my needs to 500m

I want something short/light/compact/suppressed for shooting animals both up close and out to 500m-ish

wallabies/feral goats/pigs/etc

Im going to have to chrono my 12.5 Noveske with some 110gr. accubonds (6.8)

And I'm sure they'll be going great speeds, but a 123gr Amax even @ 2300fps catches up and does better out at 500m

I would go 6.8 or .300 AAC if I didn't want to stretch it a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still no velocity numbers on this round in a SBR? I can see it on a 16 inch plus platform but a 12 incher,,,I dont know. and whats the mission/purpose? </div></div>

Hornady used a 14.5" barrel for their load testing. Check it out. They are getting 2350 fps w/ AA 2520 with their 123 amax.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2199890#Post2199890

a 6.5 grendel is a target round.......

most recently a friend and myself have jocked up a second ar platform for a shorter barreled version....and we have pretty much come to the conclusion that for hunting and smacking pigs....it will do just fine out long with a hunting bullet out to say 500yd give or take....the last pig running away lost its mind at a trot at 110 yd w/alexander arms factory boolits.

remember brass is a bit pricey

Hornady has brass now too---Starline is supposed to soon--can always use the AK brass--ck out the Grendel website--my 14.5 is going to be my "truck gun"--ie when I have only 1 with me for
anything from varmints to deer to bad guys--will install a can when I get back to TX

Does anyone have a 10.5" with suppressor? I started putting my 10.5" together today. Templar is going to be making the barrel for me when he gets some more blanks in and Im waiting for my Form 1 to come back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone got one?

Looking 12-14" and hoping for 123's @ 2300-2400

reasonable? </div></div>

I have a 6.5G, 19.5" and with 123gr Amax's in my best grouping loads I'm Chronoed at 2495fps 25 degrees f

So if I were to "Ass U me" 30 fps per inch of barrel loss then I get the following.

14" @ 2345 fps
12" @ 2285 fps

Don't hammer me on my math this is all theoretical.

Until that day,
Darkop