• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

gritty feeling when seating bullets?

uracowman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Houston, TX
As a precursor, let me say that I am currently using Federal GMM .308 recycled brass that has been full length resized.

I notice that when I seat the bullets, there is a gritty sound. On top of this, I notice a fair amount of resistance while seating the bullets. Contrary to what has just been said, I find almost no grittiness or resistance when using winchester brass. The bullets seats as smooth as melted butter.

Is this a result of the brass, or is it usually a case of the brass needing to be annealed? I would argue the case quality is lower because this happens even with once fired brass. Any thoughts?

Re: gritty feeling when seating bullets?

I am not sure if this is possible reloading .308, but this happened to me before with Varget in .223. It turned out that the load was a compressed load. It made me VERY nervous, but it was within the range of what the manual called for. I shot it, now it is my go to load for that rifle. Be sure you did not accidentally put too much powder in the case, but slight differences in case volume can make one load compressed in one brand and not another brand brass. IMO the crunching/grinding you are hearing is crushing of the powder. Interested to hear other opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure if this is possible reloading .308, but this happened to me before with Varget in .223. It turned out that the load was a compressed load. It made me VERY nervous, but it was within the range of what the manual called for. I shot it, now it is my go to load for that rifle. Be sure you did not accidentally put too much powder in the case, but slight differences in case volume can make one load compressed in one brand and not another brand brass. IMO the crunching/grinding you are hearing is crushing of the powder. Interested to hear other opinions. </div></div>

The thing is, I don't hear it when I load the rounds into my winchester brass. Internal volume could be the issue, but the gritty sounds only happens maybe 2/3 times when I load using federal brass.

what powder are you loading? And at what charge? While testing loads I heard the same thing at the upper end of my test loads with varget and 168 SMK. All of my loads were below the max loads in 2 different books as well. I double checked another book after hearing the powder crunch.

I also use FGMM brass. I am a sniper at work so I get it for free after I get done shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure if this is possible reloading .308, but this happened to me before with Varget in .223. It turned out that the load was a compressed load. It made me VERY nervous, but it was within the range of what the manual called for. I shot it, now it is my go to load for that rifle. Be sure you did not accidentally put too much powder in the case, but slight differences in case volume can make one load compressed in one brand and not another brand brass. IMO the crunching/grinding you are hearing is crushing of the powder. Interested to hear other opinions. </div></div>

yah same exact thing here. my load is 25gr varget with a 53gr vmax. i pulled it and double checked the load but its just a high volume powder.

once you validate the powder is correct i think you will be OK.

Sure sounds like the crunching of powder while loading a compressed charge.

Sounds like your chargeweight is right on the edge of being compressed. Winchester brass ABSOLUTELY has more case capacity than Federal, so it makes sense you don't get the crunch with Win brass.

Fear not, and keep shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SwatSgt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what powder are you loading? And at what charge? While testing loads I heard the same thing at the upper end of my test loads with varget and 168 SMK. All of my loads were below the max loads in 2 different books as well. I double checked another book after hearing the powder crunch.

I also use FGMM brass. I am a sniper at work so I get it for free after I get done shooting </div></div>

44.6g of varget @ 2.267 from the ogive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure sounds like the crunching of powder while loading a compressed charge.

Sounds like your chargeweight is right on the edge of being compressed. Winchester brass ABSOLUTELY has more case capacity than Federal, so it makes sense you don't get the crunch with Win brass.

Fear not, and keep shooting. </div></div>

What would attribute to the resistance when seating the bullet? I'm assuming just the quality of the brass?

Does it look like there is room for the bullet in the case? If not, I thinks others nailed it. Bullets got to take up some room. Case volume varies by manufacture. A little crunch - no big deal. A lot of crunch, bullet may back out, or worse. You think this is crazy - try loading shotgun cases. You'll wonder who made the data. LOL

The resistance could be because of the quality or springback of that specific brass, but most likely because you are compressing the powder, it isnt soft.

Neck hardening, or load compression, or both.

I get the same grit with Federal brass, 41.3gr of IMR 4064 and Hornady 178 HPBTs

I've been figuring it's slightly compressed, even after shaking the powder to be sure its settled

Just a thought, but I think that compressed loads seem more accurate. I was trying to determine why they worked better for me. I came to the conclusion that instead of a less full case a full case might get better burn consistency?

For example, if the powder was not compressed when the case is loaded. When placed in the action of the rifle the powder inside the case could be pushed forward to the bullet or back toward the primer. Every round could have the powder canted or sloped a different way. Could this cause inconsistent ignition and therefore different pressure exerted on the round as it leaves the neck? If the powder is compressed then there can not be any movement of powder in the case. I would think this could make for more consistent powder ignition. Any thoughts?

Only time I get that "gritty" feeling/sound is when I encounter the "varget crunch". Take a look in the case when filled with powder and see how close it it to the junction of the neck and shoulder. Try tapping the filled case on a solid surface to settle it down a little. Some loaders will turn on their vibrating case cleaners and briefly hold their cases to the bowl. This will settle the powder rapidly and may eliminate the "crunch". Winchester cases have a higher volume than the Fed's. Varget seems to like "close quarters" and a slightly compressed load sometimes performs better than a loosely packed one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The resistance could be because of the quality or springback of that specific brass, but most likely because you are compressing the powder, it isnt soft. </div></div>

Yeah compressing powder would do that.