• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Grizzly or Bad Boys Blasters blast cabinet?

230grRN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Michigan
www.adarms.net
Having a hard time deciding between the Grizzly G0708 cabinet and the pretty much same cabinet offered by Bad Boys Blasters. Can anyone comment on either of these and how they are holding up and how well you like/dislike them.

Re: Grizzly or Bad Boys Blasters blast cabinet?

I dont know about the two that you posted,but I have a TRINCO sold by MSC/J-L and it is one of the best on the market. It has very good lighting and a good dust colector and both are very important when you are blasting.Most blasters that I have seen do not have very good lighting. They are a little pricey but they are worth every penny.

Buy the best you can afford. I started out with a generic one from Tool King.
Paid too much for a Chinese POS and with the amount of time I have spent trying to keep it from leaking, re doing the lighting and a dust collector setup I could have purchased a quality unit. I fear the Grizzly would be the same.

BP Tactical,

That is great advice. I had one from Harbor Freight when I first started out. I think more media shot out of the cabinet " with the door closed " than hit the part!!! Paul.
cry.gif

I have the g0707 and so far it has been great. No leaks or any other problems. I actually enjoy Cerakoting now where before with my other blaster I hated it cause it was so hard to blast the rifles.

I bought a grizzly G0472 some time back. Had to do a few things to get it up to par but it works good now. I wish I would of spent more and get a bigger and little bit better built unit. It would of saved me quite a bit of time.

I just ordered a dust collector from bad boys, looks like they build good stuff. A GOOD DUST COLLECTOR IS A MUST I believe. keeps that crap outa your lungs and helps keep things a little cleaner in the shop.

Kc

I have the bad boy you speak of. It has worked fine for three years now, but after looking in the Grizzly catalog at the biggest one they have, I think I would buy it over the bad boy for the same price.

The next level of blaster is double the price, about $2400.00. They are built out of thicker metal, and have welded seams in some places. I love high quality tools, but you have to be honest with your self, and then chose wisely.

If your a builder who will blast three to five rifles a week with some odd jobs in between, then the bad boy or grizzly will do great.

If you're going into business as a pro refinisher, then the smart thing to do is to spend top dollar on it, and a bad ass compressor.

I got the Harbor Freight on sale for cheap, added a Skat Blast gun and it works great. Make sure you put it together using RTV silicone to seal it up.

Then make one of these.....

DIY Dust collector

Blaster.jpg

Thanks for the info and advise guys. I'm still not quite decided yet but getting closer. Do you guys think the 48" wide is necessary or will the 36-37" range work just as good?

I have the big Grizzly. Overall: A-

I ditched the gun it comes with. Bought one with carbide nozzle and a regulator for my compressors cfm output. Much better now.

The big one has a flange all the way around where the two halves clam together. Media collects on the flange and its a maintence chore to clean it all off back into the sump. Would of been a little nicer to have it be a smooth drop back to the sump.

The large opening is awesome though. Very easy to load parts. Lighting is good. Dust collector is good, but you have to clean it out often.

Like I said, overall a good piece for me, just little things that I have changed/wished for.

C.