• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Groundhogging

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    They are out in abundance this year. Seems like more are running around then normal. Makes them easier to spot when they do that lol.

image.jpg

We have those here in very limited numbers. Would be cool if it was more target rich. Guess i’ll stick to squirrels. Shaping up to be a good year for critters in general, big and small.

Nice covert!

Reactions: deersniper
    Tagged. I'm going to be in SD the first week of June for a PDog hunt and won't be back to my native Pennsyltucky until July for the annual culling of whistle pigs.

Early Pof upper from back when they used Rock barrels. Gisselle DMR trigger and OpsInc 12tg model can. NF 2.5-10
    image.jpg

Reactions: lou400a
    I just rolled back in last night from my PDog hunt in SD last week. I've hunted whistle pigs since I was a kid but this was my first Pdog hunt and now I am hooked!! I ran .223Rem in two rifles with three flavors of ammo: 55gr Vmax @3200fps, 73gr ELD-M @2975fps, and 75gr ELD-M @ 2975fps.

Is that factory ammo? How did you like the heavier bullets v the 55s?

The 55gr Vmax is a clone load of the factory Hornady Varmint Express load with 24.58gr of XBR8208 in LC brass lit by a WSR or CCI400 and loaded to OAL of 2.250in. The 55gr Vmax load was devastating on Pdogs inside of 350yds with a red mist and pieces of Pdogs flying everywhere!!:love:

The 73/75 ELD-M ammo are my custom hand loads for my 26" Criterion 1 in 8 twist Wylde chambered barrel. Load recipe is 25.18gr of TAC in LC or Lapua brass lit by a CCI41 and loaded to OAL of 2.545in. I mainly used it on 350yds and farther unless the wind was howling. The 75gr is mainly for the 500yd and out shots because it has better wind drift numbers than the 73gr.

I've been chucking with the 73gr for a few years and inside of 500yds they tend to fragment nicely upon impact and dump all their energy into the chuck with a minimal or even no exit wound, whereas the 75gr tend to blow right through.

I did land a first round hit at 563yds on a Pdog with a 75gr in 5-8mph crosswind. He dragged himself to the hole minus his lower half. My buddy got one at 625yds with the 73gr and it just fell over dead right there, never twitched.

The 73/75 ELD-M's are awesome bullets!!

You guys are lucky not many groundhogs in my area of NC just a few every year!

Days are getting cooler they are starting to come out in the middle of the day again

image.jpg
    image.jpg

I have had good luck with 22lr. Subs for stealth mode work. Velocitors work real good too. I have heard the cci segmented rounds work well also.

No experience with HMR but it should work great

Missed one today at close range. Gonna mount a better scope and rezero.

I'm getting my stuff together now to go out this evening. Looking forward to some Long Range Groundhogging here in the beautiful Virginia piedmont.

50040.jpeg

Had a beautiful hike in to my shooting spot, but had to beat a hasty retreat when a huge storm rolled in about 45 min after I got into position. No groundhogs, but 45 minutes of hunting beats 0 minutes of hunting.