• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Grouper anyone?

Re: Grouper anyone?

Nice fish. How was the weather and the water? I have fished for Goliath in Florida a few times. I have one 200 pounds. A friend caught a big one it was 400-500 I don't recall the exact weight.

it was cold and windy. about 65 that day with some hellish waves. we got beat pretty hard coming in to land. water was actually 63 degrees, not to good.

But it was good to get out there and let my buddy fish and see what deep sea fishing is all about.

That's a shame - fish that small, choppy water, and you were out in the sun in the Gulf. Pitiful.

laugh.gif
Looks like a blast

We were in the Gulf in January Shark fishing. Water was like glass, Smooth as I have seen it. But water temps were 56 no sharks were found. Did catch a few red snappers, And drank a bunch of beer so still had a good time.

Not to be a kill joy, but careful with the pics. It is illegal to remove Goliaths from the water.

Note: Goliath grouper and Nassau grouper must be released by cutting the line and NOT removed from the water. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has provided additional guidelines on release techniques for Goliath grouper. Click here to download a PDF version of the guidelines.
http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/GoliathGrouper/tabid/290/Default.aspx

yep its a federal reg, enforced out to 500 mile. Via the jpa agreement between Noah and most ocean bordering states, state officers can enforce fed regs, however state regs apply only to inside eez or 3 miles. The state regs here have stopped all grouper and snapper fishing, it sux.

Nice fish hows the hernia, dem phukrs tug don't they?

he went back into the sea when I had the strength to lift his massive body over the edge. He was fine, just pissed he got caught!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be a kill joy, but careful with the pics. It is illegal to remove Goliaths from the water.

Note: Goliath grouper and Nassau grouper must be released by cutting the line and NOT removed from the water. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has provided additional guidelines on release techniques for Goliath grouper. Click here to download a PDF version of the guidelines.
http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/GoliathGrouper/tabid/290/Default.aspx </div></div>

It illegal to keep them. But you cant help what bites on your bait!
And yes, he fought me hard for about 20 minutes. my back is still somewhat soar. He was a monster, but still young. its takes almost 20 years for them to reach a stage that they can produce little fishies. so it needed to head back in!

When did this law come into effect. 2 years ago three of my friends had them mounted.

I know Florida put out a notice to commercial fisherman to stop fishing the grouper species until further notice. A frost came into FL a while ago and really hurt the fish population....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went down to FL to fish in the gulf for a day. We had to go 67 miles out total trip to get this beast. This is what they call a Goliath Grouper, otherwise formerly known as the "Jew Fish". This was small for this species, they get anywhere from 300-800 pounds.

This one weighed in at 125. </div></div>

That's a tiny one. Super small.

I used to dive a lot off of Florida and have seen a few MONSTERS (the kind that make VW Bugs looks small). On the Doc Demilly (a wreck off of South Dade County) I saw a trio of ~300 pounders. Off of the Thunderbolt (Marathon, FL), I saw one that is ~1000 pounds. He was large enough that I could have been swallowed whole.

Don't eat them though. They carry ciguatera, a puke 'till you want to die kind of gig.

Goliaths have been protected since 1990, NO retention allowed. They changed the law several years ago to prevent them from being lifted from the water. As the link above states, they must be unhooked or line cut without removing them from the water.

The sad thing is that they have recovered to the point of being considered a pest, but no plans to open retention limits on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya but how many of those VW sized ones have you reeled in? </div></div>

Never reeled one in. Never been a sport fisherman. Enjoy site seeing in the water more than taking anything from it (though I do dig some mangrove snapper or snook).

On the Thunderbolt (an old cable layer from WWII I think) we were at the pilot house about midline, and my buddy and I saw a dark "shadow" that was out of place about 50' forward on the starboard side just off the rail (we were at a depth of about 105' with visibility in the mid 40s or so - all info coming from dive log). We approached cautiously and realized what it was, mostly because we already knew he was a resident of the ship, and got to within 10-12' of him. He wouldn't let us get any closer without backing off, but hung around for about 10 minutes. In fact, we missed much of the wreck because we wanted to hang around him and ran out of time at depth.

He was as curious to see us as we were him.

It was quite obvious who the big dog was on that wreck. Nothing short of a massive shark (generally not found in FL waters) could have challenged him, and even then it would be questionable as to whether one would even try.

I would say that catching him via hook-n-line would not be possible. He's just too big.

I've seen some monster fish come aboard a ship before. You just have to have the right gear and the physical strength and will power to bring them in. now getting them picked up with a gaff is one thing but cutting the line and just leaving them to live with a hook in their mouth is not right.... I wouldn't leave an animal like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen some monster fish come aboard a ship before. You just have to have the right gear and the physical strength and will power to bring them in. now getting them picked up with a gaff is one thing but cutting the line and just leaving them to live with a hook in their mouth is not right.... I wouldn't leave an animal like that.

</div></div>

Those hooks will either degrade or fall out within a few months, especially in salt water.

We've caught plenty of healthy fish with jewelry in their mouth......It's a braggin right...many fish have broke off previously from other fishermen....we catch em on the same day or even weeks later....

George

nice fish man, just be careful with the pics. we catch them down here in boca grande pass on whole sting rays or whole jackfish,just about anything that wiggles they will eat.ive dove boca grande and seen some well over 500lbs. they are alot of fun to catch, and i have heard from someone somewhere that the little ones taste amazing, way better than any grouper you will ever eat!
wink.gif