• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Groups @600 yrds

20Incher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Westchester
RRA 20" heavy 1/8 Wylde .223 .What kind of groups should I get assuming I do my part?No scope yet,Thinking about the Vortex viper 6.5-24x44 Gonna reload with either 75gr amax or 77gr smk .Will this make it out to 1000yrds?Thanks

Re: Groups @600 yrds

I only use 55gr'ers as I have a 16in barrel and it'll stableize them better. I shoot 600yds with it quite often and have very good results. <6" groups are the norm. We don't fight a lot of wind here in S.C. compared to some places. I doubt this config would be my top choice in a windy place. 690yds is my max and it really starts falling off after 600yds. With a longer barrel and faster twist I can't imagine it shooting worse than mine if you feed it what it likes. 1000yds is a loooong way for a 223 cause the wind is not your friend. Heavier bullets cant hurt.

Less than 6" would mean MOA or better at 600yds. You should be able to attain this if you got the skills.

Thanks I'm gonna try it out in P.A .600yrd/1000yrd range plus a little Pdog and yote hunts.

Not 600 but 530, with a 10x scope, have since upgraded scope. Have shot at 645 and 900. 645 was do able, wind really plays a factor. 900 it was basically out of range just lobbing them hoping for a hit. Don't know the size of groups at 645, alot of hits on target, but 1 moa would be a good group for me without wind.

77gr smk
25.2gr varget
2713 fps

NicksGroup530001.jpg

037.jpg

Well there is so many variables that is is really hard to answer that for you.
Is your rifle capable of sub MOA? If not then you could expect 6-30+ inch groups at 600. If it is sub MOA then you could expect the RIFLE to shoot sub 6" groups. Are YOU capable of sub MOA shooting? Is your ammo? And on and on.

That being said...for giggles I used my old 20" JP upper build in a 600 yard bench rest match. My groups were around 6" with the best of the day being being about 4 1/2". I was using hand loaded ammo with 77gr SMK's.

Can it get to 1000 yards? Yes...the driving is no problem, be the parking is the difficult part.
Best thing to do is just go out and try it. Then you will know.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well there is so many variables that is is really hard to answer that for you.
Is your rifle capable of sub MOA? If not then you could expect 6-30+ inch groups at 600. If it is sub MOA then you could expect the RIFLE to shoot sub 6" groups. Are YOU capable of sub MOA shooting? Is your ammo? And on and on.

That being said...for giggles I used my old 20" JP upper build in a 600 yard bench rest match. My groups were around 6" with the best of the day being being about 4 1/2". I was using hand loaded ammo with 77gr SMK's.

Can it get to 1000 yards? Yes...the driving is no problem, be the parking is the difficult part.
Best thing to do is just go out and try it. Then you will know.

Take care,Stan

</div></div>

That's really good shooting! How far above sea level are you? Around 850ft here, my 77gr at 645 is getting below 1300fps, after that it's down hill fast.

Very true what you say about the large amount of variables. The guy behind the wheel has to be able to get it done, no matter what the equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the range where I shot this is 880'. </div></div>

Your at the same elevation, wow that is good shooting. Some times you see results but have to take in account where someone is shooting. Up in the mountains, much less dense air, bullet flies alittle farther.

the 77smk's will do great,be careful with the Amax's to get them to mag length they are so far down into the case that there is space between the case mouth and the bullet. You donot have a full neck grip ,that said they do fly great.

the 77smk's will do great,be careful with the Amax's to get them to mag length they are so far down into the case that there is space between the case mouth and the bullet. You donot have a full neck grip ,that said they do fly great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vizsla owned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 77smk's will do great,be careful with the Amax's to get them to mag length they are so far down into the case that there is space between the case mouth and the bullet. You donot have a full neck grip ,that said they do fly great. </div></div>

You can say that again.

J/K. I have had great luck with the SMK's and was planning to use them for the Douglas barreled RECCE I have coming, but I am getting interested in trying some of the AMAX's based on what I hear of them.

Try the hornandy 75 grain hpbt also..Youll make it to 1k but in reality you should throat the barrel and load long if you wanna shoot that distance regularly.

i had a great success with the 80 gr amax's..they were loaded a little of 2.5 OAL so it was basically a single shot rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hi Speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I only use 55gr'ers as I have a 16in barrel and it'll stableize them better. I shoot 600yds with it quite often and have very good results. <6" groups are the norm. We don't fight a lot of wind here in S.C. compared to some places. I doubt this config would be my top choice in a windy place. 690yds is my max and it really starts falling off after 600yds. </div></div>

What kind of 55 grain are you shooting? what is the barrel on your 16"??? i'm not trying to call bs or stir shit, but if you can hit sub MOA with 55 grain in a 16" barrel , i wanna know how the hell you are making it happen.

I've taken my 18" CLE with a douglas barrel out to 650 with sub MOA results, but that is using 69gr and up.

Curious to get some intel on your situation here.

Kevin

I don't think the amaxs will work very well in a semi. I tried, but they were too long. The 77smk and 75hornady hpbt work very well in my JP with Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin7714</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hi Speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I only use 55gr'ers as I have a 16in barrel and it'll stableize them better. I shoot 600yds with it quite often and have very good results. <6" groups are the norm. We don't fight a lot of wind here in S.C. compared to some places. I doubt this config would be my top choice in a windy place. 690yds is my max and it really starts falling off after 600yds. </div></div>

What kind of 55 grain are you shooting? what is the barrel on your 16"??? i'm not trying to call bs or stir shit, but if you can hit sub MOA with 55 grain in a 16" barrel , i wanna know how the hell you are making it happen.

I've taken my 18" CLE with a douglas barrel out to 650 with sub MOA results, but that is using 69gr and up.

Curious to get some intel on your situation here.

Kevin </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. The "I only use 55gr'ers as I have a 16in barrel and it'll stableize them better." part has me scratching my head. Do you have a 1 in 12" twist barrel too? Sub 6" groups being the norm with any 55gr bullet is crazy good, I'd love to know what load you are using.

As has been mentioned, be careful with the AMAX 75 gr. You may not be able to compress the powder to magazine length. I would stick to 77smk and forget the 75 AMAX by hornady. I have the RRA pursuit. I have not handloaded any ammo for it but my rifle liked the lighter bullets. Espeically the Hornady match superformance in 55gr. I got average grouping of .683 5 shots at 100 yds. With the longer bullets like 69grain and 75grain match bullets I was averaging about 1.3 inches at 100 yds. I need to perform a ladder test with the longer bullets to see if I can find the right recipe my rifle will like.

If you insist on the AMAX you will have to load lighter and single shot only.
Following data from Hornady's 7th edition.

Rifle: Colt AR-15, Citadel Bbl
Barrel: 20", 1-9" twist
Case: Winchester
Primer: Winchester WSR
COL: 2.390" (75gr A-MAX #22792) - SINGLE SHOT ONLY, otherwise max COL 2.250"
Max case length: 1.760"
Case trim length: 1.750"

Powder max charges:

2600 fps
IMR3031 - 21.2gr
AA2495 - 21.8gr
Viht N-135 - 21.8gr
AA2520 - 22.5gr
Varget - 23.5gr
Viht N-140 - 23.6gr
Viht N-540 - 23.6gr

2700 fps
H4895 - 23.3gr
RL-15 - 24.1gr
WIN 748 - 24.0gr
BL-C2

Interesting find, I just took off the wrapping off the 8th edition of Hornady's handbook if cartridge reloading and do not have an info for the 75 AMAX, it only has info for the 52 and 53gr amax. Never mind just found the info under service rifle It clearly states that the Hornady 75 grain A-max bullet is excellent choice over 600 yds in single shot shooting and CANNOT BE LOADED TO MAGAZINE LENGTH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As has been mentioned, be careful with the AMAX 75 gr. You may not be able to compress the powder to magazine length. I would stick to 77smk and forget the 75 AMAX by hornady. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I have the RRA pursuit. I have not handloaded any ammo for it but my rifle liked the lighter b</span>ull</span>ets</span>. Espeically the Hornady match superformance in 55gr. I got average grouping of .683 5 shots at 100 yds. With the longer bullets like 69grain and 75grain match bullets I was averaging about 1.3 inches at 100 yds. I need to perform a ladder test with the longer bullets to see if I can find the right recipe my rifle will like.

</div></div>
I have the same rifle. Assuming quality ammo or hand loads, It prints anything that can be loaded to mag length very well. I'm no expert but I would guess you just haven't found the right 75 grain load.</div></div>

I agree, just have to find the right load. I have been purchasing reloading stuff so I can start loading it. I truly believe the ladder test will give me the answer.