• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Groups from my first time shooting a bolt action

-paradox-

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
Took my new remington 700 AAC-ad out today. My first bolt gun and first time shooting one. I sold an ar15 to buy it. Also put a b&c stock on before I shot it and painted it. Vortex viper hs-t scope. I sighted it in with ten rounds or so and these are the groups after that. Also a question.. When I installed my scope the eye relief was good.. But when I got out in the field I had to push the rifle out so I was barely shouldering it to get good eye relief. Any ideas? I was prone shooting today and prone when I checked eye relief.. Another thing I learned is I need a sand bag when prone hah. I used my fist. Pretty happy with this setup though. Going to get a karsten cheek rest, better rings, a swivel bipod ( I have a Harris that first swivel and it was a pia today). Any other tips you may have for a noob are greatly appreciated!

This was American eagle 150gr.Complete garbage from what I could tell.

AA32C6FB-4F90-4708-9AF4-D9DDD480C1F9-155-00000008EED20715_zps680f533b.jpg

These next two were ssa 168gr bthp. Was pretty happy with it.

9A664E71-7E03-4EA2-9CE6-D455B82F2DE0-155-00000008F44C5B00_zpsd42ed3d8.jpg

2381CD37-E75E-4D60-9CBE-1B64F8D1515F-155-00000008F81B1C42_zpsf9891441.jpg

CBEA3A97-9311-476C-955B-5B4873FAB8A7-155-00000008FC5B5C40_zps4bdd992f.jpg

If your eye relief was screwed up chances are the spread in your groups are vastly due to you not having a repeated cheekweld/eyerelief/position from shot to shot. You were fighting the rifle the entire time.

What did you do when you initially set your eye relief; on a bench sitting, prone, etc? Something obviously changed from the position you were in when setting it up, to the position you used while prone. You need to come as close as possible to setting up your optic and length of pull (when you eventually get a spacer system or adjustable stock) as to the positions you will utilize wearing what you will wear when shooting. Nothing like having a tshirt on when sithing it in and shooting in 2 shirts, a sweater and a big jacket and wondering why your eye relief and LOP are way off.

I can set something up to work when sitting on a bench, but it will change in many ways when going prone. Also remember, the 2 most useful basic positions are prone and seated; practice those and setup accordingly until you get to the point of shooting off a tripod and barricades as well as using a sling.

I also wouldn't worry about a cheek piece yet; rig up your own with some carpet padding foam and 100mph tape. Just make sure your bolt will clear it and is far back enough so that you can pull it out of the action if needed.

When shooting a 5 round string, get into position, get proper eye relief and fire off the first round. Do not pull your head off the stock. After each shot keep your finger pulled back on the trigger, don't instantly let go and go for the bolt like 90% of people do as this is a huge negating factor to proper follow through. Again, do not move your head. Keep proper eye relief, and then when everything is settled, work the bolt. Fired round 2. Repeat.

Between those 2 things, I bet your groups shrink in half.

Confirm this. After that, I'd look into different ammo.

Last edited:
If your eye relief was screwed up chances are the spread in your groups are vastly due to you not having a repeated cheekweld/eyerelief/position from shot to shot. That alone will tighten things up greatly.

What did you do when you initially set your eye relief; on a bench sitting, prone, etc? Something obviously changed from the position you were in when setting it up, to the position you used while prone. You need to come as close as possible to setting up your optic and length of pull (when you eventually get a spacer system or adjustable stock) as to the positions you will utilize.

I can set something up to work when sitting on a bench, but it will change in many ways when going prone. Also remember, the 2 most useful basic positions are prone and seated; practice those and setup accordingly until you get to the point of shooting off a tripod and barricades.

I also wouldn't worry about a cheek piece yet; rig up your own with some carpet padding foam and 100mph tape. Just make sure your bolt will clear it and is far back enough so that you can pull it out of the action if needed.

Between those 2 things, I bet your groups shrink in half.

Confirm this. After that, I'd look into different ammo.

When I initially set my eye relief I was prone.. I was also prone in all of the above shots. That's what I'll be shooting mostly. What changed between those two groups was the ammo I was using. First group, the bad one was with cheap American eagle and the tighter groups were with silver state armory.

What The German said! Fairly good groups with the 168 first time out, but you should be able to get 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with practice, practice and more practice. What scope is that and was your parallex properly adjusted? Also you need a rear bag, if you were not using one! Learn the correct basics starting out and you won't develop bad habits you have to break later. Now your new Adventures begin and you most likely won't want to go back to other platforms. LR & ELR shooting is the most addictive and expensive sport I have participated in, BUT the most satisfying when everything gels on those rare days. Many good articles here on the Hide for reference, especially the ones by Zak from TBAC. Good Shooting!

When I initially set my eye relief I was prone.. I was also prone in all of the above shots. That's what I'll be shooting mostly. What changed between those two groups was the ammo I was using. First group, the bad one was with cheap American eagle and the tighter groups were with silver state armory.

Also look at my edit, I added something about your clothing as far as LOP and setting up.

Did you set up your eye relief looking through the optic at a distance or close, like a wall down the hallway? You tend to not see all of the blacking out and errors if not outside in the light; I've had an optic on a rifle I swore was correct only to look through it at distance outside to see the relief was off. This may be part of the issue.

Could also be something with not having the proper support under the rear of the rifle causing your stock-end to be angled down too much.

Without being there I can't say 100% what your issue is. It can be something as simple as you changed your position from when you set up your relief to what position you used today - its easier than you think to do, I've seen people switch between prone and a very low prone without thinking about it. This also changes where your head 'lays' as far as how far rear/forward on the stock and it doesn't seem like a big difference.

My suggestion is to get a constant, proper cheek weld with the 100mph cheekpiece and re-set your optic outside at distance. This should fix whatever the issue is as if you remember to start with the proper cheek position and hold it while shooting your relief won't change.

At what power setting did you set the eye relief when you mounted the scope and at what power setting were you shooting? Most scopes will have a far less forgiving relief on high power, so if you set it on low power, then cranked it up at the range, that could be a contributing factor, as well. When I set up a scope, I always check the relief on it's highest power setting before tightening everything down.

Also look at my edit, I added something about your clothing as far as LOP and setting up.

Did you set up your eye relief looking through the optic at a distance or close, like a wall down the hallway? You tend to not see all of the blacking out and errors if not outside in the light; I've had an optic on a rifle I swore was correct only to look through it at distance outside to see the relief was off. This may be part of the issue.

Could also be something with not having the proper support under the rear of the rifle causing your stock-end to be angled down too much.

Without being there I can't say 100% what your issue is. It can be something as simple as you changed your position from when you set up your relief to what position you used today - its easier than you think to do, I've seen people switch between prone and a very low prone without thinking about it. This also changes where your head 'lays' as far as how far rear/forward on the stock and it doesn't seem like a big difference.

My suggestion is to get a constant, proper cheek weld with the 100mph cheekpiece and re-set your optic outside at distance. This should fix whatever the issue is as if you remember to start with the proper cheek position and hold it while shooting your relief won't change.

Ahh ok. Yeah I was looking down the hallway when I did it. Once I get my badger rings ill set it up when I'm out shooting. Thanks!

Ahh ok. Yeah I was looking down the hallway when I did it. Once I get my badger rings ill set it up when I'm out shooting. Thanks!

Look at Joop's advice as well. I was thinking this but didn't type it; make sure you aern't on a lower magnification.

Honestly, I'd just adjust the optic whenever you have 100ish yards available and then build the cheekpiece. Changing the rings right now won't negate any issue you're having. Don't get me wrong, I have almost all Badger rings, but for what you're looking to remedy right now, the stockweld and eye relief are going to be what you need.

Look at Joop's advice as well. I was thinking this but didn't type it; make sure you aern't on a lower magnification.

Honestly, I'd just adjust the optic whenever you have 100ish yards available and then build the cheekpiece. Changing the rings right now won't negate any issue you're having. Don't get me wrong, I have almost all Badger rings, but for what you're looking to remedy right now, the stockweld and eye relief are going to be what you need.

Oh I know, I'd planned on getting badger rings anyway though. A buddy have me these ones. You know what I realized too. Rookie move. I was prone shooting at a tall target and I didn't extend my bipod all the way out so, not thinking, I tried to lower the rear instead of raise the front hah. I think that's what messed up my eye relief. I'll spend some more time next time I'm out and fine tune.

TheGerman said:
...but for what you're looking to remedy right now, the stockweld and eye relief are going to be what you need.
+100

Focus on getting everything set up for your natural point of aim. Consistency is everything. Don't be too discouraged, though. You're already way ahead of what I was doing, my first time shooting a scoped rifle for accuracy.;)

John

Oh I'm not discourged. Just looking for tips :) im already having way more fun than shooting my ar. Takes a lot more skill for lr. Glad I sold an ar to get into long range. Expensive as hell hah but worth it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Oh I'm not discourged. Just looking for tips :) im already having way more fun than shooting my ar. Takes a lot more skill for lr. Glad I sold an ar to get into long range. Expensive as hell hah but worth it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Another shooter is born.

Great shooting paradox and welcome to the wonderful world of long range shooting. There is so much to learn. I have been doing it now for 5 years and I still learn something new every time I go out. Enjoy!

Congratulations on the new setup and your shooting ain't too shabby either considering the situation. It's hard to tell from the pic ,but it looks like your rings could each stand to move back one notch on your rail. Most try to center them on the tube.
Good luck.