• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Groups On Paper at 1000 - Here's what I learned

Did you run into only of the regulars out there shooting 1000 yards from a sling with iron-sighted .308's?

Reactions: Awesymoto
Great video!

I recently got to shoot out to 1000yrds at a range with Shot Marker electronic targets all the way out there (Dead Zero in TN). It was awe-inspiring to be able to really track one's work out there (and with instant gratification too lol). Getting a "clank" at 1000 is cool, but actually seeing what you're "painting" and being able to see the wind's effect and other stuff in realtime was a blast!

My local club only goes out to 400 for my usual practice and I can't wait to get out to 1000 again soon; thing is, there's a range an hour's drive closer to me that has steel out to 1000 I could just join... but after actually being able to see my groups on "paper" at 1000 and experiencing that, looks like I'll be driving an extra hour there and back because I feel like it might be worth it to see results "on paper" and get more than a "clank" lol!

Find the nearest club with NRA mid range prone or long range prone matches and enter your rifle in F class, F T/R if your rifle is a 308 or 223, F Open if it's anything else.

Make sure you let the match director know if your rifle has a muzzle brake or suppressor. Muzzle brakes and suppressors are not allowed in NRA rifle matches but some match directors make exceptions for club matches. Or take the brake or suppressor off and shoot with a bare muzzle.

You'll get 40 to 60 shots on paper at distances from 300 to 1000 yards, depending on the match format, and like you saw in the video you'll learn quite a bit more detail about what you and your rifle can do.