• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GRT - Gordon's Reloading Tool - discussion

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
Would it be possible to have an ongoing discussion of GRT here?
Anyone experienced with this software?

Depending on your question, may be easier to get an answer on the GRT discord.

Reactions: buggz
Discord, I see...

I have a general question, possibly pertains to QL also.
Is there an optimum PMAX location?
Towards the end of curve? In the middle? Where?

Pmax position will vary based on powder burn speed, powder charge, and barrel length.

I don't think there's a general rule for 'optimal' peak position because it will vary quite a bit.

Reactions: buggz
Thanks.
I am just playing right now.
Trying to learn the powder that is available, vs the too many cartridges I have.

Seeing on another forum that the author has passed away.
Sad, this will be a huge loss if this app cannot continue forward.

• Sad
Reactions: RegionRat
Yes, it is, and my condolences to his family. It is a grate tool and I hope that someone can take it over and continue his work on it.

Reactions: BLEE
I have used it and compared it to QL. They seem similar but I did find a few loads that were suspect. But as people contribute the information will get more reliable.

I like GRT it has been very close on some cartridges +-10fps of predicted accuracy node, and other have been +-30fps. I have a hard time believing the psi levels on some these. It shows a lot my rifles are running 65-70k psi but I have zero psi signs and brass is holding up very well.

I like GRT it has been very close on some cartridges +-10fps of predicted accuracy node, and other have been +-30fps. I have a hard time believing the psi levels on some these. It shows a lot my rifles are running 65-70k psi but I have zero psi signs and brass is holding up very well.
Not sure if you were aware but QL uses sized case volume and Gordon’s uses fired/unsized - this drops the pressure a bit. I love Gordons just because it is a great data aggregator as I can import my labradar and pressuretrace data - but overall I agree on the pressure being too high. I also think all these programs assume jam so once you back off the lands pressure drops dramatically but the programs don’t calculate it.

Not sure if you were aware but QL uses sized case volume and Gordon’s uses fired/unsized - this drops the pressure a bit. I love Gordons just because it is a great data aggregator as I can import my labradar and pressuretrace data - but overall I agree on the pressure being too high. I also think all these programs assume jam so once you back off the lands pressure drops dramatically but the programs don’t calculate it.
The newest GRT has a jump feature that does drop velocity/psi but it's not much.

The newest GRT has a jump feature that does drop velocity/psi but it's not much.
I see seating depth. Where is the jump feature. I have the latest patreon release so I think it’s the latest. I’m looking at the projectile window, am I looking in wrong place?

I see seating depth. Where is the jump feature. I have the latest patreon release so I think it’s the latest. I’m looking at the projectile window, am I looking in wrong place?
Its on left side above the cartridge blueprint. You have to unlock it prior to using it. I am a premium contributor to GRT and made a donation. I don't think my GRT is any different than standard though.

Reactions: Sebrock
Its on left side above the cartridge blueprint. You have to unlock it prior to using it. I am a premium contributor to GRT and made a donation. I don't think my GRT is any different than standard though.
I am as well. It gave me access to some updated downloads through patreon. I totally see it. Can’t believe I missed that. Thank you!! On one of my loads my jump dropped me 5k in psi and takes me below pressure. Still case volume (and seating depth since it affects case volume) seems to be the biggest factor.

QL uses a fired case for H2O. Quote right out of the instructions.

"This measurement is easily done using a dry, empty fired case (with fired primer in place)."

You also should set a proper Start Shot (Initial) Pressure in QL. It offers preset values for different types of bullets, jam, etc in the tooltip.

I haven't received any email with updates. Owner passed away several months back, system hasn't had much of anything happen since.

There haven't been any updates since the Feb patch and call for programmers. The best place for updates is the GordansReloading discord.