• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GSeven BR2 Laser Range Finder

DieselWSM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
Spokane, WA
Woohoo! time to try this bad boy out. Just arrived today and will get some review of it if anybody is interested.

Re: GSeven BR2 Laser Range Finder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shep77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woohoo! time to try this bad boy out. Just arrived today and will get some review of it if anybody is interested. </div></div>

Interested person right here.

Looking forward to your field report.

I'm interested in an overall review of the lrf, but I'm not interested in purchasing until they make a mil model. It seems like it wouldn't take much but changing some software algorithms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm interested in an overall review of the lrf, but I'm not interested in purchasing until they make a mil model. It seems like it wouldn't take much but changing some software algorithms. </div></div>

They will not do that.......

It would make their BS bullet turrets obsolete.... They like to make money off of the un trained people.

I'm confused, I thought it was meant for any turret?

Are you referring to the fact that there is no option to get a correction in MILs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused, I thought it was meant for any turret?

Are you referring to the fact that there is no option to get a correction in MILs? </div></div>

I'll need to research this a bit more, too. I don't own one, but was considering it. I thought the output was just MOA and corrected yardage, but if it were tied specifically to the G7 turrets, I don't think it would be of interest. I agree that it seems like having the output be in mil for those that prefer it would be a nice option.

My buddy just picked one of these units up and they work great for the price. I was able to range a tree at 1700yards with a standing hold and get a readind of 2400 yards at a tree line across the lake from me sitting useing my kness for support.

The output is MOA. It will hold up to 5 ballistic profiles but is not "linked" to their G7 turrets. If you know your BC and velocity, enter it into the profile and range the target. It has sensors for baro, temp, and altitude and then calcs MOA adjustment

Sounds like it would pair up nicely with my Nightforce. Might need to look at selling my Swarovski Laser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They will not do that.......

It would make their BS bullet turrets obsolete.... They like to make money off of the un trained people.</div></div>

Cynical much?

To clarify since the water has apparently been muddied:

The current product gives dope in either MOA or 'corrected distance'. They do also sell calibrated turrets that are marked in range increments.

So while it is true that their "rangefinder+"/turret combo offers an extremely simple system for folks who can't or don't want to wrap their heads around external ballistics, the rangefinder unit also works just fine with generic MOA turrets.

This information is available in the manual freely downloadable from their website.

I am interested in the concept if it turns out to be well-executed (capable rangefinder, accurate environmental readings, good ballistics model in practice, etc). I'm somewhat surprised/encouraged by the fact that their ballistics calculator can use either G1 or G7 BC's.

Like the majority here, I imagine, I would only purchase this if they offer a Mil-capable unit. I emailed them about that and got a surprisingly prompt reply from the owner. It sounds like they are looking at a future version that is Mil-capable and are evaluating what their options are for their product line moving forward.

I would like to see the following comparison with pros/cons for each setup:

G7 BR2 + Kestrel for wind = $1600 + $200 = $1800

or

Leica CRF + Kestrel Horus combo = $800 + $700 = $1700

For 1000 yards(+- 400 yards) and beyond, you likely will need different equipment:

Vectronics PLRF 05 (Terrapin) good to 2500 yards ($1800)
Possibly the Kestrel Horus combo ($700)
At least the kestrel for environment info ($400)
Possibly FFS on a PDA ($1500)

In my mind, if you can use the Horus/Kestrel combo to get past 1400 yards, and your going to shoot there (long range) you would be better served going with that instead of the G7 BR2. If you decide that your really never going to shoot outside the range offered by the G7 BR2, then you have more of an apples to apples comparison.

I use the 'corrected range' feature to give me the range, corrected from my field proven dope/da. I don't have to switch dope based on DA changes, I shoot and if the corrected range (in yards) varies significatly from the actual range, I know the DA is moving, and shoot the corrected range from my dope.

I think it was mulehunter who pointed out that this is a pretty good way to work this; No additional steps, while still taking advantage of the BR2 and using my 'native' mils on my optics/dope.

I just purchased a Vectronix PLRF 05 Terrapin from Brian at shoot-long a great range finder out to 2400 meters and farther this in combo with kestrel horus weather reader system will be tested out next april at the whittington center in Raton New Mexico at unknown distance range. shooting 300 win mag remington and barrett 50 bmg. Multiple loadings with known dope.

I wish it was in mils, but I couldn't be happier with my vectronix terrapin

Outlaw45 - thanks for the link. I think that this sums up the reveiw, which was exactly my thoughts doing my armchair quarter backing...

"Will it work for Extreme long range, not in my word. But as reported by others for hunting out to 1000 yards it is a great unit as long as you know it well, practice with it, and watch your head on the large beam."

To my mind, this means if your always shooting a less than 1000 yards, it should work pretty well for you. However if your going to go beyond 1000 yards, you would be better served spending the money on either a Kestrel/Horus + Terrapin or FFS + Terrapin to cover significantly more ground with higher level of accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish it was in mils, but I couldn't be happier with my vectronix terrapin </div></div> I think the terrapin is in mils. YOur talking about the reticle, right?