• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guantanamo revisited

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Just heard on a radio show that we still have 36 inmates in Guanttanamo that have not been charged with anything, have no attorney, and will be held that way indefinately. There were 38 but 2 died...one from a heart attack, and one hung himself.

If they are guilty of something, then I have little sympathy for them. Try them, lockem up, or execute them, but give them a trial. But I find holding them indefinately, without representation, or being charged, and tried, is against everything i grew up believing was good about this country. I hope that ALL those who are responsible for this travesty, for disrespecting the freedom and rights that so many have given their all for, pay an exacting price. Fuck you.

Re: Guantanamo revisited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just heard on a radio show that we still have 36 inmates in Guanttanamo that have not been charged with anything, have no attorney, and will be held that way indefinately. There were 38 but 2 died...one from a heart attack, and one hung himself.

If they are guilty of something, then I have little sympathy for them. Try them, lockem up, or execute them, but give them a trial. But I find holding them indefinately, without representation, or being charged, and tried, is against everything i grew up believing was good about this country. I hope that ALL those who are responsible for this travesty, for disrespecting the freedom and rights that so many have given their all for, pay an exacting price. Fuck you.</div></div>

As with most of your comments, maggot, I agree with this one as well. If they will do this to terrorists, are we as U.S. citizens so naive to think that the same couldn't be done or won't be done with any of us?

we go ALL over the world policing entire countries and killing and wounding a disgusting number of people INCLUDING CHILDREN (lets bitch all day about abortion but then drop some bombs and kill how many children?)in the name of democracy / freedom / all that is good

then you see what we are doing here....GB...the NDAA bill ...i could easily compile a list of unconstitutional acts but the point is blazingly obvious

we say we are fighting terrorism to protect our freedoms....WELL HOW MANY GOD DAMN FREEDOMS HAVE WE ALLOWED OURSELVES TO BE STRIPPED OF IN THE NAME OF FIGHTING TERRORISM????????????!!!!!!!!!!

this shit is so fucking .............

even the fact that people would work at GB says alot about the state of people in our government - people who are willing to torture should most likly be locked up in a mental ward

we need our military and LE to start saying NO to these unconstitutional tasks they are asked to partake in

you swore to protect our country from enemies overseas or at home - i belive anyone who would order or vote for any thing that is against OUR constitution is an enemy - period - ITS THE VERY THING THAT HOLDS US TOGETHER - IT IS THE FOUNDATION OF OUR NATION - but yet we destroy it more and more with every newly passed........fuck it im done

Ha, I know a guy that used to live a few houses down from me that is in the same situation. The feds made him give them all of his citizenship paperwork at the Canadian border and the forced him at gun point to cross the border. As expected he crossed back into the US and now is being held in jail as an illegal. All I have to say is AWESOME... Some scum bags deserve it. If you know the feds are watching you don't screw up or threaten to sue them... cause this is what happens

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0pl9yiURY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcLNoxiPBk&feature=player_embedded </div></div>

Excellent post, Intrepid. I saw the one on obediance the othere day. This is not bashing anyone. I hope all the LEOs and military on this site will watch these vidieos and give them long and deep consideration. I know some of them do already. Perhaps this will be a launching pad for some good, respectful, discussion. To me, THIS is what I like most about the Hide.....a place I can come talk with my brothers (and a couple of sisters), about this important stuff.

As the man said "If you follow orders that are against the constitution, you are working for an illegal criminal enterprise", and that makes you a criminal. Think about it.

I post the following link without bias. There are treaties and statutes which cover this matter. All I will say of my own is that I do not believe these individuals are eligible to be treated in the same manner or entitled to the same rights and protections as American citizens, and that any effort to do so could well be misguided.

Unlawful Combatants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> While the concept of an unlawful combatant is included in the Third Geneva Convention, the phrase itself does not appear in the document.[1] Article 4 of Third Geneva Convention does describe categories under which a person may be entitled to POW status; and there are other international treaties that deny lawful combatant status for mercenaries and children. In the United States, the Military Commissions Act of 2006 codified the legal definition of this term and invested the U.S. President with broad discretion to determine whether a person may be designated an unlawful enemy combatant under United States law. The assumption that such a category as unlawful combatant exists is not contradicted by the findings of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in the Celebici Judgment. The judgment quoted the 1958 ICRC commentary on the Fourth Geneva Convention: Every person in enemy hands must be either a prisoner of war and, as such, be covered by the Third Convention; or a civilian covered by the Fourth Convention. Furthermore, "There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law,"[4] because in the opinion of the ICRC, "If civilians directly engage in hostilities, they are considered 'unlawful' or 'unprivileged' combatants or belligerents (the treaties of humanitarian law do not expressly contain these terms). They may be prosecuted under the domestic law of the detaining state for such action".[</div></div>

So while the individuals may appear to be held without justification, they are, in fact, being held in accordance with US law, and in accordance with international precedent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 2009

In January and February 2009, President Barack Obama's nominees for Attorney General and Solicitor General, Eric Holder and Elena Kagan, both testified they agreed the U.S. government may detain combatants in accordance with the laws of war until the end of the war, (this sidesteps the issue of deciding whether the combatant is a lawful or unlawful combatant and the need to try them). When asked by Senator Lindsey Graham "If our intelligence agencies should capture someone in the Philippines that is suspected of financing Al Qaeda worldwide, would you consider that person part of the battlefield?" Both Holder and Kagan said that they would.
    </div></div>

While I agree in principle that this may be deplorable to some eyes, I am also mindful that were the positions reversed, Americans could not look forward to decent housing, clean and appropriate clothing, nourishing meals, freedom to practice their religion, or reasonable and appropriate medical care in a manner comparable to the Guantanimo detainees.

Experience has shown they are at least as likely to be subjected to torture and beheading, with the act being televised on the Internet for their loved ones to see.

I think it's hard to see the two situations as being comparable or the positions of the Guantanimo detainees as being less preferable. Portraying these detainees as victims in such a context appears to me demonstrate a poor sense of proportion.

I do not believe in treating our Nation's opponents any better than they would treat our own in a comparable situation. Before I adjudge my Nation's actions as untenable, I suggest we seriously consider whether our opponents would accord their prisoners with the same highly humane treatment as our own detainees are clearly receiving.

To say it doesn't matter what they do is an utterly altruistic denial of the reality of the situation.

It matters to me. It matters a lot.

Greg

"To say it doesn't matter what they do is an utterly altruistic denial of the reality of the situation.

Thats what is supposed to make us diffrferent than them. If we violate that then we are just like them. I dont subscribe to yur logic one bit.

Though perhaps low on the feeding chain of humanity, they are still humans, and deserve to at least have their position heard. Other than that is tyranny, regardless of how you cloak it in legalese and terms and conventions.

I agree, what we do is what sets us apart. If we violate the law and the precedent, we are indeed just like them.

But we don't.

"Other than that is tyranny, regardless of how you cloak it in legalese and terms and conventions." How else should one cloak these matters, but in accordance with laws and conventions?

When we cease to be a Nation of laws, that's when we sink into tyranny. I don't know what you base your argument on; but for me, the law will have to do, regardless of whether you or I agree with it.

If you don't like the law, change it. Until you do that, what you advocate is lawlessness, no matter what way you cloak it.

You provided an argument, I provided a refutation, and you chose to dismiss it. No surprises there...

Give it a rest. I don't wish to argue this further. I regret having argued it at all, disagreeing with you is always a mistake.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"To say it doesn't matter what they do is an utterly altruistic denial of the reality of the situation.

Thats what is supposed to make us diffrferent than them. If we violate that then we are just like them. <span style="color: #FF0000">I dont subscribe to yur logic one bit</span>.

Though perhaps low on the feeding chain of humanity, they are still humans, and deserve to at least have their position heard. Other than that is tyranny, regardless of how you cloak it in legalese and terms and conventions. </div></div>

Not surprising as your arguments are always absent of logic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree, what we do is what sets us apart. If we violate the law and the precedent, we are indeed just like them.

But we don't.

"Other than that is tyranny, regardless of how you cloak it in legalese and terms and conventions." How else should one cloak these matters, but in accordance with laws and conventions?

When we cease to be a Nation of laws, that's when we sink into tyranny. I don't know what you base your argument on; but for me, the law will have to do, regardless of whether you or I agree with it.

If you don't like the law, change it. Until you do that, what you advocate is lawlessness, no matter what way you cloak it.

You provided an argument, I provided a refutation, and you chose to dismiss it. No surprises there...

Give it a rest. I don't wish to argue this further. I regret having argued it at all, <span style="color: #FF0000">disagreeing with you is always a mistake </span> .

Greg </div></div>

Generally.

There is this really wise guy I know who once said "Ye %$#&*'s, you enforce the letter of the law to the utmost while violateing its spirit". Can't seem to recall his name. Anyone remember?

So what should we do with people that are captured during combat operations (caught red-handed engaging US forces) or detained with suspected intelligence that might prove valuable to save the lives of US citizens?

Do we just execute enemy combatants on the battlefield if they are captured or surrender? Of course not. That would be murder.

Do we practice catch and release in the theater of operations? Eh, sometimes.

Do we turn them over to local authorities that may or may not hold the human life as valuable as we do? Or can be bribed by the highest bidder? Not as much as we used to. (My opinion and not verifiable)

How do you propose we get intelligence that allows us to persecute our nation's enemies? We can't just ask them nicely, because it isn't in their best interests.

So, we follow US and international laws and when those laws are broken we investigate the incident and take action. Our system isn't perfect, but none ever are.

To echo Greg's comments (which I thought were very well thought out and written) if you don't like our system, give extremist's a try. Take the Pepsi challenge and see which one you prefer.

Guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Three Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what should we do with people that are captured during combat operations (caught red-handed engaging US forces) or detained with suspected intelligence that might prove valuable to save the lives of US citizens?

Do we just execute enemy combatants on the battlefield if they are captured or surrender? Of course not. That would be murder.

Do we practice catch and release in the theater of operations? Eh, sometimes.

Do we turn them over to local authorities that may or may not hold the human life as valuable as we do? Or can be bribed by the highest bidder? Not as much as we used to. (My opinion and not verifiable)

How do you propose we get intelligence that allows us to persecute our nation's enemies? We can't just ask them nicely, because it isn't in their best interests.

So, we follow US and international laws and when those laws are broken we investigate the incident and take action. Our system isn't perfect, but none ever are.

To echo Greg's comments (which I thought were very well thought out and written) if you don't like our system, give extremist's a try. Take the Pepsi challenge and see which one you prefer.

Guns </div></div>

Detain them? Sure...for a while. But after 10 years any intel they had is 10 years out of date. Try them and give them what they earned.But holding someone for 10 years without charging them with something is horseshit.

No folks, it's OK. Maggot is right. Disagreeing with him is always a mistake. The second one. Taking him seriously was the first one.

There will aways be folks in this country who cannot be satisfied with what our nation does. Maybe they call themselves Americans, but I get the sense that it sorta makes them maybe a little embarrassed to say so. Always something not quite right, not quite good enough to please them completely, don'cha know.

Never mind that no other Nation even makes the effort to fake an interest in pleasing one's detractors. It sorta like they can never be wrong, and we who think otherwise can never be right. No matter what this Nation does, it's never enough.

For some reason that's tolerated here. Not sure why, but it is.

I got an answer for that, but it's not polite.

I told you that I didn't want to argue this further, but you keep throwing down the gauntlets.

Maybe you're trying to piss somebody off. Maybe you're trying to piss a lotta people here off. Maybe you shouldn't.

Greg

One thing that I haven't heard on either side of this "discussion" is whether or not any of the detainees are at least cooperative. Are they even speaking to anyone other than amongst themselves, or are they just intent on becoming martyrs?

You cannot help someone who doesn't want to be helped. It they are obviously militant, can you turn them loose with the knowledge that they may take another life shortly after being released?

Obviously a touchy situation without a well thought of result of what to do with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarkinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing that I haven't heard on either side of this "discussion" is whether or not any of the detainees are at least cooperative. Are they even speaking to anyone other than amongst themselves, or are they just intent on becoming martyrs?

You cannot help someone who doesn't want to be helped. It they are obviously militant, can you turn them loose with the knowledge that they may take another life shortly after being released?

Obviously a touchy situation without a well thought of result of what to do with them. </div></div>

Who said turn themm loose. I only suggested that they have a right to a trial. If their found guilty then put them in prison. If their found innocent
    then turn them loose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No folks, it's OK. Maggot is right. Disagreeing with him is always a mistake. The second one. Taking him seriously was the first one.

There will aways be folks in this country who cannot be satisfied with what our nation does. Maybe they call themselves Americans, but I get the sense that it sorta makes them maybe a little embarrassed to say so. Always something not quite right, not quite good enough to please them completely, don'cha know.

Never mind that no other Nation even makes the effort to fake an interest in pleasing one's detractors. It sorta like they can never be wrong, and we who think otherwise can never be right. No matter what this Nation does, it's never enough.

For some reason that's tolerated here. Not sure why, but it is.

I got an answer for that, but it's not polite.

I told you that I didn't want to argue this further, but <span style="color: #FF0000">you keep throwing down the gauntlets </span> .

Maybe you're trying to piss somebody off. Maybe you're trying to piss a lotta people here off. Maybe you shouldn't.

Greg </div></div>

I never considered them as guantlets, just replies. If you see them as guantlets and dont like it, why keep picking them up? Sounds like its your way or the highway. I could interpret your commentary as a veiled threat. Seeing as its you Ill just be disappointed, but not surprised.

So you think you're being threatened now? Get real.

Believe me, if I wanted to threaten you, I'd say it plain

In the interest of saying things plainly, and because you insist on throwing out comebacks despite my declared desire not to continue this, here are my hopefully final thoughts on this. First, there is no threat.

There's more here than you or I, but you keep making it personal. Now it's threats.

Instead of being ludicrous, why don't you address any of the other points I raise? Deflecting attention and changing the subject gets old fast.

You say they have a right to trial. This is clearly not so, and I've already provided ample factual evidence to that effect. If you can't accept the work of Wikipedia as factual, maybe you have some other factual links to offer in <span style="font-style: italic">serious</span> rebuttal.

Until then, making snide comments about my logic and intimating imagined veiled threats seems a bit thin to me.

I think you have a flawed opinion, and mighty few actual facts to back it up. I think your interest in this subject is little more than for the sake of argument and lacks serious commitment.

I mean, besides simply flapping your jaws (or maybe rattling your keyboard?) on the matter, have you taken any substantial and constructive steps to effect either the release or adavancement toward trial of any of the Guantanimo detainees? Have you put even one penny of your money where your mouth is on their specific behalf?

Speak up, inquiring minds want to know. The time for evading the questions is past. Either speak to the questions, or give it a rest.

Further, I think it's at least inappropriate, and maybe even well beyond the recognized limits on acceptable forum subject matter, for you to be using this forum as a soapbox to attack our Nation's policies regarding lawfully detained illegal combatants.

I fully support your right to argue politics, I just wish you could do it somewhere else. This is a tactical marksamanship forum, and not your personal political soapbox.

I'm done here, regardless. Attempting dialogue with you is clearly a waste of time and my scant, fading intellect. But you need not be concerned, there will always be ample others here with whom you'll be able to argue. It's their choice, and their time to waste.

For my part, I've chosen to place your Userid on Ignore, so I don't need to endure any more of your comebacks. From now on, please address your comments to the rest of the forum.

It's not about you, it's to prevent me indulging my own curiosity and other weaknesses. I really don't want to take this any further.

Again, give it a rest.

Greg

To steal a line from our Hidemate, Shankster,
    2542178244521.gif

ive been their had to work with the worst of the worst, i doubt their are any that are not guilty of something major. or at leat i never come across any that were not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive been their had to work with the worst of the worst, i doubt their are any that are not guilty of something major. or at leat i never come across any that were not </div></div>

Bro, I dont doubt you. Im sure that many of them would slit my throat even as I argue for them. But thats what makes me different. I think that despite that they are entitled to their day in court. Put the trial on tv like Casey Anthony and let the world see what its dealing with. Then if they are proven guilty, drown em in pigs blood if ya want. But noone deserves to be held without recourse. Its just basic human dignity, which I insist on for myself, desite them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive been their had to work with the worst of the worst, i doubt their are any that are not guilty of something major. or at leat i never come across any that were not </div></div>

just like maggot said its the fact they are not even charged with a crime - let alone not being sent to trial - i think both maggot and I completely agree they should not just be set free or anything of that sort - yes they should be in prison and yes I dont really doubt that what they did is horrible but - after this long the info they have is useless and they should be charged and tried

as greg said - yes what they are doing is currently within the law - but that does not make it right - and thats the core of what we are talking about -

how if you start doing bad things it just domino effects - just look at the NDAA bill that went threw along with the patriot act - we are destroying our own freedoms and liberty in the name of protecting it - and that is absurd - we need to stop this if we want to be the beacon of freedom America once stood for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its just basic human dignity</div></div>

Bingo! It seems some can't understand that. But as with most of the things governments do hypocrisy is one of the most common around. I guess US has stomach to "torture" (officially it's just encouragement to divulge information :)) those there but not a stomach to put 9mm through their skull. I wonder why is that?
    Greg many things are law but not all law is just, fair or inline with human decency and while i understand a desire to kill/maim/whatever an enemy i do not understand hypocrisy behind it. In the words of Forrest civilized is who civilized does and vice versa and in general holding people locked up and tortured for a day, week or several years does not make you civilized or any better that the enemy. But hey you want to do that sure i don't mind couldn't care less if you do it to "illegal combatants", "illegal aliens" or yourself or anyone else just don't expect everyone on the planet to faint from your greatness and civilization and self proclaimed greatest nation under god...

As I suggested, whether I or others like the law, that's what we have at present. I agree, it could be that the law needs changing. I think it's no small coincidence that it hasn't been changed yet.

Let's consider that point.

To what end should it be changed? Honestly; I don't know, and I kinda doubt that any really plausible solution could make it to the status of a bonafide law under any forseeable political climate.

The current situation was created under the prior administration, the current administration has (as I quoted above) already demonstrated rather clearly that they have no interest in improving on that, and I find it conscientiously impossible not to support both points until someone provides a better alternative. It's a thorny problem with no simple or potentially viable solution coming quickly, slowly, or in any other manner to forefront of the collective conscience. When folks can't agree, we often see a war follow. In fact, we've already seen just that.

We are probably at an impasse on this subject, in practical terms. To do what we do is just marginally better than to do nothing and turn the detainees loose. I think the country, and probably the world, is a lot better off with them in Guantanimo indefinitely than with them at large, free to engage in what they were likely trying to do when apprehanded, but with a new and additional helping of pent up rage. I don't thing any issues regarding intelligence even rise to this level of importance, and maybe even doubt they ever did.

If they were mad dogs, this would be simpler. That they are humans complicates the matter considerably. That they could reasonably be expected to behave like mad dogs if released into society by any means, including a trial, does not simplify the matter. I suspect that questions of simple human dignity might not apply here, when dealing with folks who have a serious interest in committing acts against humanity.

We confine the criminally insane, often without any trial. I think there's a good chance we're not talking apples and oranges here, but something rather closer to apples and pears.

They say fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I think we've found another place they were talking about. If it's broken, and that may or may not be fact, do we really need to fix it? Does anyone really know how? I think that would be a better place to start a dialogue than the original premise of this topic.

Do something, anything, but do it? Naah!

If I distrust criticism being offered without an accompanting viable alternatives, what does this make me?

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I suggested, whether I or others like the law, that's what we have at present. I agree, it could be that the law needs changing. I think it's no small coincidence that it hasn't been changed yet.

Let's consider that point.

To what end should it be changed? Honestly; I don't know, and I kinda doubt that any really plausible solution could make it to the status of a bonafide law under any forseeable political climate.

The current situation was created under the prior administration, the current administration has (as I quoted above) already demonstrated rather clearly that they have no interest in improving on that, and I find it conscientiously impossible not to support both points until someone provides a better alternative. It's a thorny problem with no simple or potentially viable solution coming quickly, slowly, or in any other manner to forefront of the collective conscience. When folks can't agree, we often see a war follow. In fact, we've already seen just that.

We are probably at an impasse on this subject, in practical terms. To do what we do is just marginally better than to do nothing and turn the detainees loose. I think the country, and probably the world, is a lot better off with them in Guantanimo indefinitely than with them at large, free to engage in what they were likely trying to do when apprehanded, but with a new and additional helping of pent up rage. I don't thing any issues regarding intelligence even rise to this level of importance, and maybe even doubt they ever did.

If they were mad dogs, this would be simpler. That they are humans complicates the matter considerably. That they could reasonably be expected to behave like mad dogs if released into society by any means, including a trial, does not simplify the matter. I suspect that questions of simple human dignity might not apply here, when dealing with folks who have a serious interest in committing acts against humanity.

We confine the criminally insane, often without any trial. I think there's a good chance we're not talking apples and oranges here, but something rather closer to apples and pears.

They say fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I think we've found another place they were talking about. If it's broken, and that may or may not be fact, do we really need to fix it? Does anyone really know how? I think that would be a better place to start a dialogue than the original premise of this topic.

Do something, anything, but do it? Naah!

If I distrust criticism being offered without <span style="color: #CC0000">an accompanting viable alternatives </span> , what does this make me?

Greg </div></div>

An alternative has been offered, at least here:

1- Public trial just like Casey Anthony.
    2- Guilty = prison or death
    3- Innocent = Set them free.

If they've had any real reason for holding them they should be found guilty, problem solved. I believe I read that its costing $800,000 per year to house these characters. Long term solitary at a (or several)high security prison should be much cheaper. No need to make it more difficult than necessary. But give them their day in court. If they dont cooperate then fuckem, but giveem their day.

I do see and agree with your points Greg - except that there is no alternative

Give them a trial - If they are guilty of anything then it should not be a problem to prove that
    (honestly it would be cheaper to kill them or just put them in with gen pop at some high security prison after being found guilty)

its just that simple - and its not like we dont already do that with murder / rape suspects

I also understand keeping them there for up to a year to try and get info from them - but after that long nothing they know is of any use - so stop just holding them forever and make then go threw a trial...i do not see how this would not work

also on the subject of people not doing anything to further the causes they talk about - sometimes thats all that is needed (to talk and spread the word / idea / message) - sometimes people dont have the money to do anything about it - sometimes they already have done what they could and are just talking about it on the side to help educate others or just vent frustrations - talking about it the BEST thing we can do!!!!

yes the current administration is not going to change how this works - i think we all understand that - but with the very real possibility of Ron Paul winning the presidency in 2012 we have a very decent chance of having an individual in charge who is a libertarian thus topics of this sort have an increased validity due to the current political situation

9mm or highway...

But with all seriousness i think the problem is a bit deeper as obviously 9mm option is not all that unpalatable to politicians (they use it all the time) and public would cheer anyway. I really believe that most of the people there are innocent and there is enough decent folks who know that so it's impossible to just do them in and at the same time impossible to admit that mighty US was wrong and set them loose. That's why our little chicken $#$# of a prime minister was offered an audience with your President in exchange for a "detainee from G-spot" and unfortunately for all Wikileaks made a leak
    smile.gif
    and the deal was apparently off...

The world is turning pretty sour and i'm thinking there will be plenty grim faces around in next few years and fate of few in G. will be nothing compared to the fate of millions detained in USA and Europe (and i hope this remains a figure of speech and not a literal fact
    frown.gif
    ).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive been their had to work with the worst of the worst, i doubt their are any that are not guilty of something major. or at leat i never come across any that were not </div></div>

Bro, I dont doubt you. Im sure that many of them would slit my throat even as I argue for them. But thats what makes me different. I think that despite that they are entitled to their day in court. Put the trial on tv like Casey Anthony and let the world see what its dealing with. Then if they are proven guilty, drown em in pigs blood if ya want. But noone deserves to be held without recourse. Its just basic human dignity, which I insist on for myself, desite them. </div></div>

Piss on them you bunch of fucking cry babies! Preach from your sofa you fuck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive been their had to work with the worst of the worst, i doubt their are any that are not guilty of something major. or at leat i never come across any that were not </div></div>

Bro, I dont doubt you. Im sure that many of them would slit my throat even as I argue for them. But thats what makes me different. I think that despite that they are entitled to their day in court. Put the trial on tv like Casey Anthony and let the world see what its dealing with. Then if they are proven guilty, drown em in pigs blood if ya want. But noone deserves to be held without recourse. Its just basic human dignity, which I insist on for myself, desite them. </div></div>

</div></div>

Now that theres f`unny....in its complete ignorance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

More respect should be given than that.

I think maggot has done a great job at posting on laws that have proven the case of government legislation hindering the freedoms of all Americans.

Case in point would be the topic concerning the ability for military personnel to arrest American citizens.

If you want to share a cell, at Guantananmo, next to the very people that you hate, then that's your deal, but keep in mind that laws that affect the American citizen are almost damn near permanent, and administrations, presidencies, and house majorities can change every couple of years.

Now with the topic...

It's been proven based on history that some of the former inmates, even inmates with no former ties, have gone back to Afghanistan and join the terrorist groups that we are fighting, and even within the AQ world, Guantanamo is a great thing for them to have on their resume, almost a future career builder for them. Case in point is the recent targeted killing of Anwar al-Awlaki(he wasn't at Gitmo, but I am making a comparison of what could happen), who prior to being what I term as his role as AQ's chaplain, or imam, was a publicly moderate Muslim after the 9/11 attacks(even though there is evidence that he knew one of the hijackers). Then he was jailed for other charges( involvement in a kidnapping of a Muslim teenager, and possible conspiracy to kidnap a U.S. servicemember). After that he put the blame of the U.S. for himself being jailed, and is heavily linked to the Fort Hood shooting(He was the shooter's "spiritual adviser"), and the Underwear Bomber(same "spiritual adviser", as well as all the propaganda with his face on it, advocating terrorism from all Muslims against the U.S., and her allies).

Which begs the question on whether or not, these inmates could, or will do the same when released.

[/quote]

Now that theres f`unny....in its complete ignorance [/quote]

Oh why yes dear! Complete ignorance! Liberal fuck! Speaking of the ignorance you preach of why not open a real history book and study it! It could be quite enlightening. Why you could actually learn how in the fuck we were so successful in WWII and have been sucking ever since. Political correctness does not win wars, only hearts.

War is dirty and not for the faint at heart. Thank God and those who have served and died that you can side line referee from the liberal media's perspective.

Fucking cowardly couch commandos!

I've changed my mind. Return them to their original locations. Put them 'back in play', then deal with them accordingly.

As they are now, they're protected and pampered. Turn them loose and let them fend for themselves in a genuine threat environment.

Heck, their own might even perceive them as a security threat and off them on general principle. Wouldn't surprise me much.

Probably bever happen, though, it sounds too 'Hollywood' to actually happen.

Lamenting their plight, in light of what's been paid in American's (and others') lives and wounds over the same time as their incarceration, seems a bit too close to 'giving aid and comfort' for my tastes.

I agree with Maggot about the laws falling far short of providing a desirable solution. I reiterate that the better course would be to change them. I further reiterate that such seems both unlikely and perhaps unfeasible in the practical sense.

Greg

We have freed some of them......as soon as they got back they started the IED shit again..... we caught them again and locked them up.....Let them go home........ march them off a gangplank into shark infested waters....
    bill larson

So maybe the thing to do would be to make a big megillah over relasing them, thanking them largely and publicly for their cooperation, and paying them each a nice hunk of 'Judas Money'. That should go over big with the most radical Jihadists. Cheap at twice the price.

Greg

Its not their plight I lament, Greg; its ours if we allow ourselves to become like them. Is that naieve? I dont think so. Ive found if you get the principles right the rest falls into place, but when you violate the principles that make you what you are, youve failed and become what you hate an fear.

Principles! You think some 18 yr old trigger puller made the decision to lock them up!?!?

There's that ignorance you're so fond of!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Principles! You think some 18 yr old trigger puller made the decision to lock them up!?!?

There's that ignorance you're so fond of! </div></div>

And just where did I saay that?

what would you think when a 11yr old puts 2 in your vest?? most of the country are normal people trying to live their version of a normal life but you have that 3% problem is over 1/2 the country believes the 3% is the correct its very hard to tell them apart especially when the population shooting at you. just saying.

maggot, and greg have you looked down the wrong end of a AK being held by a child that should be watching tv or playing basebal in the back yard? im just asking not trying to imply anything

although if some one invaded my land or this land i would be proud to see mine to pick up arms in defense of our nation so i guess that's not a good resperation.

Its a fucked up situation we should never have been in but we dont have any one blowing up buildings on a daily basis eather

Maggot,

The reason they don't have trials is because the battlefield is not a crime scene. What would you have our military do? Wrap each battle in crime tape, get statements from witnesses, collect forensic evidence, etc.

The position of the previous administration was that if are caught on the battlefield participating in any way in the attempt to kill troops, you are a POW. When the conflict is over and when these POW's can be released into a culture where they won't be recycled into killers, they will be sent home. This administration proclaimed the same arguments as you but apparently when they got into power and had to make real decisions, they somehow figured out the previous admin. wasn't so F'ed up.

I think the current system works. Somebody is caught participating in battle. Instead of shooting the bastard they pack them up and ship them to a prison. Seems pretty moral to me.

We are above the enemy. Our enemy executes POW's. When we can kill them and nobody would know the difference we don't. Instead, we capture them, take them to a prison where they are fed 3 squares a day, provide reading materials and exercise along with state of the art medical care. I don't see how that is beneath us.

Sounds very moral to say they should have trials. Trials for battlefield combatants would be a circus and you know it.

Maybe we should give all world citizens the same rights as the despised american constitution. I know, put cameras in every HUMVEE and broadcast miranda rights before each shooting. Then we can send in forensic teams to assess the crime scene. Hey, that would be job creation as a bonus.

Go back to your tent at the local Occupy protest and take a dump in public to show us what you really are. I am sorry that I participated in this BS thread. I have liked this forum because it has avoided these types of arguments. Can we talk more about the craft of marksmanship or are you going to tell me that I should put a daisy in my muzzle?

Out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maggot,

I should put a daisy in my muzzle?

Out. </div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000">like a poet </span>, im not makeing fun or trying to guys i just am on the other side of the fence

lets just put it this way if this was 50-40-30 years ago and they did this,from the mid 80's and back to the beginning of the U.S. we would have exterminated them. its a good thing its now not then most of the insent are not caught up in it, as well as our Americans who where here from their, before it started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Principles! You think some 18 yr old trigger puller made the decision to lock them up!?!?

There's that ignorance you're so fond of! </div></div>

Joe, regarding your sig line and the 9-11 reference. Do you think people learned all there is about Christianity from IRA nail bombs, or the Inquisition or Fred Phelps...?

No the 18yr old trigger puller did not make the decision to lock them up.

Joe you are making a different argument from maggot and are thus missing the point. You and maggot are on the same side. Maggot is saying that allowing our government to indefinitely detain is a dangerous authority if we are to remain a free society, and that we should oppose that.

You are saying we should prosecute warfare with maximum force.

You are both right. There is no reason we cant do both, and in fact we should.

Joe don't let your zeal for prosecuting the enemy lead you to damage your own liberty. If there were several jihadists in a room, you could call in an airstrike....but you would NOT do that if there were friendlies in the building too. You would select the maximum amount of force to apply that would not ended up fragging you or your buddies.

Common sense. We don't always apply maximum force on the battlefield for some good reasons. Same principle applies to our own laws.

If you doubt the validity of maggot's concern then I ask you to watch Rand Paul question John McCain on the Senate floor about McCain's amendment to the national defense act 2012 authorizing military detention of US citizens. McCain's response should be staggering to any patriot.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fi3SB7rrhwE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fi3SB7rrhwE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

This is about whether or not YOU as a citizen could end up next to one of the ragheads in Gitmo. Neither McCain nor this law recognizes your Constitutional right to due process; indefinite detention applies, in his own words, "no matter who you are" if the administration deems you a threat. By the way, DHS policy is that returning veterans turning extremist is the number one threat on US soil. If you doubt that, read about it here in their own words. It is an open source document that is all over the web now. link to DHS memo

We would all do well to remember that threats to our liberty don't always come from foreign invaders with a gun, our liberty can be, and often is, lost at the stroke of a legislator's pen if we allow it. If we want to remain a free people we must be ready to repel either threat.

If none of that convinces you, then perhaps you could read and understand the words one of our founding fathers:

<span style="font-style: italic">If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home.</span>

--James Madison, father of the Constitution

We should fight hard for our liberty, using maximum physical force on the battlefield and using reason, the rule of law, and our educated votes here at home, lest we reach a state where we must honor our oath to the Constitution and its principles by opposing our own government, as our founding fathers did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maggot,

The reason they don't have trials is because the battlefield is not a crime scene. What would you have our military do? Wrap each battle in crime tape, get statements from witnesses, collect forensic evidence, etc.

The position of the previous administration was that if are caught on the battlefield participating in any way in the attempt to kill troops, you are a POW. When the conflict is over and when these POW's can be released into a culture where they won't be recycled into killers, they will be sent home. This administration proclaimed the same arguments as you but apparently when they got into power and had to make real decisions, they somehow figured out the previous admin. wasn't so F'ed up.

I think the current system works. Somebody is caught participating in battle. Instead of shooting the bastard they pack them up and ship them to a prison. Seems pretty moral to me.

We are above the enemy. Our enemy executes POW's. When we can kill them and nobody would know the difference we don't. Instead, we capture them, take them to a prison where they are fed 3 squares a day, provide reading materials and exercise along with state of the art medical care. I don't see how that is beneath us.

Sounds very moral to say they should have trials. Trials for battlefield combatants would be a circus and you know it.

Maybe we should give all world citizens the same rights as the despised american constitution. I know, put cameras in every HUMVEE and broadcast miranda rights before each shooting. Then we can send in forensic teams to assess the crime scene. Hey, that would be job creation as a bonus.

Go back to your tent at the local Occupy protest and take a dump in public to show us what you really are. I am sorry that I participated in this BS thread. I have liked this forum because it has avoided these types of arguments. Can we talk more about the craft of marksmanship or are you going to tell me that I should put a daisy in my muzzle?

Out.</div></div>

First part of your post is great. Explains exactly why we cant do regular trials with the same standards we enjoy as American citizens under the Constitution. In the past we held military tribunals for enemy combatants. Certainly a US citizen is entitled to regular Constitutional protections.

Then, your post becomes an emotional rant where you project typical strawman arguments by making anyone who disagrees with you sound like some liberal panty waist appeaser. I dont know maggot from adam. Perhaps he is what you accuse him of. But there isn't enough in his post for you to know that either.

I have killed many of our nation's enemies, and others here have done far more. I am all about taking the fight to the enemy. You can believe that or not I could care less. My point is that even with that experience some of our responses to the war on terror give me pause. Should those of us entrusted with the awesome responsibility of defending a nation give no thought to our orders? We when consider how to defeat our enemies we must be careful not to win the battle but lose the war. I think of it just like I did CAS, the only thing I care about more than destroying our enemies is not destroying ourselves in the process. If we damage our liberties while defending them do you think these islamic fanatics care by what method we lose them?

Besides, as men we ought to be able to have discussions on these issues without turning it into a second grade level series of insults. This IS a great site full of those who have and are serving their country. It is primarily dedicated to the technical art of shooting, but it is also full of thoughtful people who have perspective based on real world experience and dedication to principles that will preserve our liberty including the right to bear arms. I am glad that some discussion is allowed in the interest of preserving those liberties. I am also glad that LL doesn't allow political advocacy or the usual democrat vs republican stuff, as that is what has led to a lot of the problems we face. These are higher level discussions (or should be) about current issues facing our military and our country. I saw no political advocacy here, and the mods here are quite capable of policing the site. Discussions on Constitutional issues, especially those related to to military members, seem well within the guidelines especially in the non-technical forums on the site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maggot,

Out.</div></div>

First part of your post is great. Explains exactly why we cant do regular trials with the same standards we enjoy as American citizens under the Constitution. In the past we held military tribunals for enemy combatants. Certainly a US citizen is entitled to regular Constitutional protections.

Then, your post becomes an emotional rant where you project typical strawman arguments by making anyone who disagrees with you sound like some liberal panty waist appeaser. I dont know maggot from adam. Perhaps he is what you accuse him of. But there isn't enough in his post for you to know that either.

I have killed many of our nation's enemies, and others here have done far more. I am all about taking the fight to the enemy. You can believe that or not I could care less. My point is that even with that experience some of our responses to the war on terror give me pause. Should those of us entrusted with the awesome responsibility of defending a nation give no thought to our orders? We when consider how to defeat our enemies we must be careful not to win the battle but lose the war. I think of it just like I did CAS, the only thing I care about more than destroying our enemies is not destroying ourselves in the process. If we damage our liberties while defending them do you think these islamic fanatics care by what method we lose them?

Besides, as men we ought to be able to have discussions on these issues without turning it into a second grade level series of insults. This IS a great site full of those who have and are serving their country. It is primarily dedicated to the technical art of shooting, but it is also full of thoughtful people who have perspective based on real world experience and dedication to principles that will preserve our liberty including the right to bear arms. I am glad that some discussion is allowed in the interest of preserving those liberties. I am also glad that LL doesn't allow political advocacy or the usual democrat vs republican stuff, as that is what has led to a lot of the problems we face. These are higher level discussions (or should be) about current issues facing our military and our country. I saw no political advocacy here, and the mods here are quite capable of policing the site. Discussions on Constitutional issues, especially those related to to military members, seem well within the guidelines especially in the non-technical forums on the site. </div></div>

This is one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum.

I don't want to get too deep into the discussions here other than to say that the battlefield CAN become a crime scene, that, as other people have mentioned, there is a historical record as to how to deal with these people, and that process is, in my opinion, the proper method.

Ultimately, this is, however, a political question. Many people think that applying the historical laws of war to the current conflicts is unfair, unethical, and ill-suited. I am among them, because we have laws of war that are/were created for conventional warfare, which is a dinosaur.

When I say that this is a political question, what I mean is that we've elected people to take care of this problem for us. Ultimately, it'll be them who decide. And we may choose to elect different people, for reasons unrelated to how they handle unlawful combatants. Ultimately, what that means is that our views may not be as well represented as we'd like for them to be. And that's a shame, because the laws of war need serious work right now, for a lot of reasons, among them, because the wrong parties are driving the debate. But in the end, courts aren't going to decide this--Congress will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

There are actually battlefield forensic teams out there. I was trained in a class by some of them. They're very intelligent and experienced men doing an extremely hard job especially within the theater itself. I get the point you are trying to make though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Besides, as men we ought to be able to have discussions on these issues without turning it into a second grade level series of insults. This IS a great site full of those who have and are serving their country. It is primarily dedicated to the technical art of shooting, but it is also full of thoughtful people who have perspective based on real world experience and dedication to principles that will preserve our liberty including the right to bear arms. I am glad that some discussion is allowed in the interest of preserving those liberties. I am also glad that LL doesn't allow political advocacy or the usual democrat vs republican stuff, as that is what has led to a lot of the problems we face. These are higher level discussions (or should be) about current issues facing our military and our country. I saw no political advocacy here, and the mods here are quite capable of policing the site. Discussions on Constitutional issues, especially those related to to military members, seem well within the guidelines especially in the non-technical forums on the site. </div></div>

I've always wondered who was the guy flying over my head.

I'm happy that I know the answer now.

Effectively they are POW's.
    We will hold them till they lose the war and surrender, or until we are defeated and forced to release them.(like either of those will ever happen.)
    Personally I think you are retarded for arguing like you are. They are not citizens, they have no rights, they murdered their own people, and treat they're women like crap, and they murdered our non combatants. They corrupt the Koran to mean what ever they want it to mean. Give them a drum head court martial and shoot them. They're god will forgive them when they are dead. Probably drain them of any intell first. How would they treat you, you self rightous son of a bitch.
    Semper Fidelis,
    Terry Hoover

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tipy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Effectively they are POW's.
    We will hold them till they lose the war and surrender, or until we are defeated and forced to release them.(like either of those will ever happen.)
    Personally I think you are retarded for arguing like you are. They are not citizens, they have no rights, they murdered their own people, and treat they're women like crap, and they murdered our non combatants. They corrupt the Koran to mean what ever they want it to mean. Give them a drum head court martial and shoot them. They're god will forgive them when they are dead. Probably drain them of any intell first. How would they treat you, you self rightous son of a bitch.
    Semper Fidelis,
    Terry Hoover </div></div>

You talking to me?

Talking to Maggot.

Now for you. You don't seriously mean that our military should process every battle site as a crime scene?
    Terry Hoover

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tipy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Effectively they are POW's.
    Semper Fidelis,
    Terry Hoover </div></div>

Your not terribly bright, are you? You should learn to read before you misquote me. Beyound that, anything I would have to reply to your idiocy would probrably get me banned and thats not why I started this thread. Go play with your mommy.