• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guantanamo revisited

Re: Guantanamo revisited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tipy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking to Maggot.

Now for you. You don't seriously mean that our military should process every battle site as a crime scene?
Terry Hoover </div></div>

They already have.
They have already done so.
And the guys who trained me, helped capture an IED Bomb Maker because of their work, and that one just ONE team that did this, and there are multiple teams now.

BTW, the above happened a couple of years ago for them. My class was in 2010 so I would say they were doing this before 2008 or 2009.

Scoff all you want, but innovation and ingenuity are what helps win wars.

I can't speak for Maggot, and I can't relate to that specific scenario. Have I been shot at? Some, in 'Nam. I'd elaborate if there was a good enough reason, but I prefer to leave those memories pretty much alone these days. Is that a good enough answer?

When I was Grunting around, I was 19 and my training had been, as usual, tailered to the previous war. Initially we were naive and trying to fit the situation into the limits of our skill sets.

When that didn't work, we became baffled and skittish, and the odds of a prisoner emerging from that alive were slim. I think our own odds suffered right along with the enemy's; a lot of us got overly trigger happy at that stage. Fortunately it was passing phase and brief.

When we did some of that for awhile, we got real sick of it; and tended to try and back off somewhat, but they jumped on our butts real quick, like they were expecting suchlike.

At no point did it make sense, or lend itself to any preconceived ideas. About the only thing that did make sense was you did whatever it took to get yourself and your buddies back home intact.

The carefully crafted ROE's and the lofty intentions behind them were seldom explained to us very well, and seldom intruded into our fleeting thoughts once the powder started burning. 19yr olds didn't come across as deep thinkers when folks were shooting at them.

I'm not sure how it goes inside the furball these days. I feel rather certain that it's more confusing and more lethal. Maybe someone can give me an update.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0hN6kcIpQ&feature=g-all-f&context=G258600fFAAAAAAAACAA </div></div>

Good find. The CIA has been sanctioning the killing American Citizens at least since 1963. JFK. But thats anoter thread. Unfortunately I think the die is cast. "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power tends to ccorrupt absolutely".Once they get a power its unlikely it will ever be relinquished willingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't speak for Maggot, and I can't relate to that specific scenario. Have I been shot at? Some, in 'Nam. I'd elaborate if there was a good enough reason, but I prefer to leave those memories pretty much alone these days. Is that a good enough answer?

When I was Grunting around, I was 19 and my training had been, as usual, tailered to the previous war. Initially we were naive and trying to fit the situation into the limits of our skill sets.

When that didn't work, we became baffled and skittish, and the odds of a prisoner emerging from that alive were slim. I think our own odds suffered right along with the enemy's; a lot of us got overly trigger happy at that stage. Fortunately it was passing phase and brief.

When we did some of that for awhile, we got real sick of it; and tended to try and back off somewhat, but they jumped on our butts real quick, like they were expecting suchlike.

At no point did it make sense, or lend itself to any preconceived ideas. <span style="color: #CC0000"> About the only thing that did make sense was you did whatever it took to get yourself and your buddies back home intact.</span>

The carefully crafted ROE's and the lofty intentions behind them were seldom explained to us very well, and seldom intruded into our fleeting thoughts once the powder started burning. 19yr olds didn't come across as deep thinkers when folks were shooting at them.

I'm not sure how it goes inside the furball these days. I feel rather certain that it's more confusing and more lethal. Maybe someone can give me an update.

Greg </div></div>

That is surely understood, Greg, and NO ONE here is throwing any rocks at the grunts for trying to et home safe. I was fortunate and missed Nam. I do remember very well, and had one on my truck, the MIA/POW bumper stickers. How didn we feel about the S. Vietnamese keeping our boys as POW's for years. Pretty pissed off. I'm guessing thats probrably how they feel about our holding people w/o trials or even being charged. Thats not up to grunts.The ones we are railing against are much higher up. As Intrepid's vidieo shows, we need to fear them....all of them, ....

My own history at my government's hands is probably fairly typical.

There was a brief time when I harbored some resentment, but my own life's needs dictated that I detach myself from histories and resentments, and deal with the matters at hand; mostly about family and helping kids better prepare for whatever their future held. I figured helping other's kids would help mine, by helping create and immersing them in a sector where we all saw pretty much eye-to-eye.

For me, standing on principle mainly led to a recognition of the impotence inherent in devoting any significant portion of my energies toward dissent. Not that it's a bad idea, but mostly that there's damned little return on the investment.

So I redirected my energies toward working with the kids. It was a lot more effective, and held at least the potential to leave the world with more folks who shared some of my thoughts and interests.

Meanwhile, after encountering the Internet a looonng time later, I resolved to speak my mind, regardless of the prevailing winds. I am no great fan of any political philosphy, but I do love my country and I try to stand up to potentials for its injury from within. I tend to consider domestic critics to be more or less misguided, on a level that transcends issues.

Not everyone agrees, and that includes myself. While I try to be polite, I also recognize that if I managed that all the time, I'd be 'different'. I'm not 'different'.

Besides, I have no other country to love, and I think that's an important thing to be able to do. To me, the most valuable facet of love is its ability to forgive.

Greg