• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Guessing this is why Marines are giving up armor......

I don’t know how to win wars. I’ve never won one.

I don’t think we should confuse revenge with winning a war. It worked, no doubt.
Do you understand how inflammatory your statement is to a lot of people here?

Maybe you stay in your lane,here's a suggestion take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.
Go to the library and start reading some history books, or go on HBO and watch the "Pacific".
Then go back to the library and get the books that each of the characters wrote,some more than one.
I bet your opinion would change

Reactions: Soulezoo
Do you understand how inflammatory your statement is to a lot of people here?

Maybe you stay in your lane,here's a suggestion take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.
Go to the library and start reading some history books, or go on HBO and watch the "Pacific".
Then go back to the library and get the books that each of the characters wrote,some more than one.
I bet your opinion would change
I have. As much as I can comprehend as someone that was not there, it was horrible, and we needed to win the war that they started.
I am stating as my opinion that I think two nuclear bombs might have been excessive and not necessary to ending the war, fully understanding what was at risk if we launched a land invasion. I am not stating that our history books are wrong or I’m privy to some unique knowledge. I’m privy to less knowledge than tons of guys here. It is my opinion, and just that. It’s not set in stone. It’s not revisionism. You guys are acting like it was either 2 nukes, or hundreds of thousands more Americans dead; I’m saying I don’t think those were the only two explicit options.

• Angry
Reactions: tomcatmv
Perhaps a little more reading of history? The first bomb let them know we could do it, and encouraged them to surrender. The military officials refused. The second bomb forced the Emperor to surrender, over riding the military polity.

In fact, the second bomb was needed so much, that they dropped it....leaving our nuclear arsenal with an inventory of....0.

So yeah, the second bomb was absolutely needed, and history proves that out (since they now have access to all the internal communications of the Japanese empire).

Perhaps a little more reading of history? The first bomb let them know we could do it, and encouraged them to surrender. The military officials refused. The second bomb forced the Emperor to surrender, over riding the military polity.

In fact, the second bomb was needed so much, that they dropped it....leaving our nuclear arsenal with an inventory of....0.

So yeah, the second bomb was absolutely needed, and history proves that out (since they now have access to all the internal communications of the Japanese empire).
That is good to know. Correct me if my understanding is wrong then, which it sounds like it is. I learned that we believed the Japanese were on the brink of official surrender, and THEN we dropped the bombs to show them off to the rest of the world and particularly the Russians.

I believe everyone knew the Japanese couldn't win (even the Japanese), but they were unwilling to surrender unconditionally since it would radically change their society. The military polity flat out refused to those terms. The US then dropped the first bomb (13kt yield). The military polity refused again, and told the emperor it would be catastrophic. They felt (initially) that the claims of the effectiveness of the atom bomb was over stated, and that it was likely the only one. Then the US dropped the second (and slightly larger yield of 21kt) plutonium based bomb. At that point, the emperor finally (and with the public backing) over ruled the military polity, and ended his reign (the main reason unconditional surrender was refused...it required the abdication of the throne). Hirohito (realistically) did not rule Japan, the military effectively did...with the Emperor's tacit approval. But when the second bomb was dropped, it gave Hirohito the political clout and cover to over rule the military and declare surrender, unconditionally.

That is good to know. Correct me if my understanding is wrong then, which it sounds like it is. I learned that we believed the Japanese were on the brink of official surrender, and THEN we dropped the bombs to show them off to the rest of the world and particularly the Russians.

You are really going to get butt hurt if we go to war with China, because myself and a lot of others will be advocating not wasting a single American life on the war if possible, just nuking them back to the stone age once and for all.

The Japanese have been using being nuked as an excuse to falsely play victim pretend they weren't literally WORSE than Hitler, since the end of WWII
The Chinese and the Koreans haven't forgotten all about how bad the Japanese were to them.

The Japanese were committing horrific atrocities on civilian populations in China long before they sealed their fate by bombing us.

Keep in mind, that a lot of the world wanted to make both the Japanese and Germans basically extinct for the horrors they did and it was mostly down to the USA letting them off easy that any of them were still alive. Because the Japanese and Germans were all about totally wiping out populations to take their land and resources.

I have. As much as I can comprehend as someone that was not there, it was horrible, and we needed to win the war that they started.
I am stating as my opinion that I think two nuclear bombs might have been excessive and not necessary to ending the war, fully understanding what was at risk if we launched a land invasion. I am not stating that our history books are wrong or I’m privy to some unique knowledge. I’m privy to less knowledge than tons of guys here. It is my opinion, and just that. It’s not set in stone. It’s not revisionism. You guys are acting like it was either 2 nukes, or hundreds of thousands more Americans dead; I’m saying I don’t think those were the only two explicit options.

Hit the city with one nuke or do an incendiary raid both Dresden and Tokyo give thumbs up to the nuke.

Marines and soldiers were still dying in Okinawa "mopping up" and they were living in the stench of 100,000 dead Okinawan civilians.....

All they knew was that Honshu was going to be a total shit show and the logistics went out beyond 1946.

My first class in college dealt with this tripe.

I see that the commies now have that shit fully indoctrinated.

Guessing you think the internments was just based on racisim?

Read about Ni'iahu, kept top secret at the time, and consider what peeps were concerned about with the Nisei reaction.

Italians and Germans were relocated also just with more discretion.

I think mass internments were wrong, citizenship and the Constitution should have tempered the fears of the politicians, but the internments were not based on racism.

Racism may have found the willing enforcers but there was a military concern.

You are really going to get butt hurt if we go to war with China, because myself and a lot of others will be advocating not wasting a single American life on the war if possible, just nuking them back to the stone age once and for all.

The Japanese have been using being nuked as an excuse to falsely play victim pretend they weren't literally WORSE than Hitler, since the end of WWII
The Chinese and the Koreans haven't forgotten all about how bad the Japanese were to them.

The Japanese were committing horrific atrocities on civilian populations in China long before they sealed their fate by bombing us.

Keep in mind, that a lot of the world wanted to make both the Japanese and Germans basically extinct for the horrors they did and it was mostly down to the USA letting them off easy that any of them were still alive. Because the Japanese and Germans were all about totally wiping out populations to take their land and resources.
No butt hurt here. I’m happy to hear opinions, and here’s probably some past college ‘history’ still to be unlearned.

Marines and soldiers were still dying in Okinawa "mopping up" and they were living in the stench of 100,000 dead Okinawan civilians.....

All they knew was that Honshu was going to be a total shit show and the logistics went out beyond 1946.

My first class in college dealt with this tripe.

I see that the commies now have that shit fully indoctrinated.

Guessing you think the internments was just based on racisim?

Read about Ni'iahu, kept top secret at the time, and consider what peeps were concerned about with the Nisei reaction.

Italians and Germans were relocated also just with more discretion.

I think mass internments were wrong, citizenship and the Constitution should have tempered the fears of the politicians, but the internments were not based on racism.

Racism may have found the willing enforcers but there was a military concern.
Don’t read too far into what I’m saying. I’m sure there still some unlearning needed from what I learned back in college, but I’m thankful I don’t have today’s level of indoctrination.

It is a bit ironic, that the Japanese American Society (I forget the exact name) actually came out and politically supported the internment. A fact many conveniently forget. They saw it as their duty, and understood there was a military reason why it had to be done. In other words, they had their big boy pants on. Doesn't make it right, but they did understand the reasoning behind it.

ETA: BTW, "Debunking Howard Zinn" is an excellent read to understand where history has been selectively edited by the left/communists in our academia today.

Don’t read too far into what I’m saying. I’m sure there still some unlearning needed from what I learned back in college, but I’m thankful I don’t have today’s level of indoctrination.

"America Bad" is what is taught these days.

Both my kids tell me there is a nut case teacher at school that has argued for monarchy.

Public education is fucked.

I hope CV19 puts nails in its coffin.

Street smarts matter more than the Classics right now I fear.

No butt hurt here. I’m happy to hear opinions, and here’s probably some past college ‘history’ still to be unlearned.

@UpSideDown I appreciate your willingness to discuss maturely.

Often your sense is lacking.

Nothing says anything I say is 100%.

Im willing to change my beliefs based on facts.

Your instructors taught you based on feelings.

My feelings tell me incinerating 90,000 humans is wrong.

My facts tell me accepting a million dead Japanese and half a million American casualties over 90,000 dead Japanese is more wrong.

"America Bad" is what is taught these days.

Both my kids tell me there is a nut case teacher at school that has argued for monarchy.

Public education is fucked.

I hope CV19 puts nails in its coffin.

Street smarts matter more than the Classics right now I fear.
100%. I had a history professor that was the daughter of an Ambassador. It was nothing but revision of all the things we learned. When you have four versions of history that are 'right' and all the sources now disagree, we end up just living in the early parts of an Orwell novel.

Public education is the singular most important issue we have in my mind, long term. It shapes every downstream effect. And it's all Marxist. They're winning every single fight they start because they have the schools and the media, and it's just another race to the bottom of who can be more Marxist.

And this is where problems get created, festered, and expanded. You may very well have 'learned' something, from somewhere, and gone off onto that tangent of thought to base all other decisions of life upon. But that DOESN'T mean that what you learned in the beginning was correct. Nor does it mean that the person whom taught you this, was accurate in their teachings.

Explore MULTIPLE venues of fact. Cross-reference history with other perspectives. Formulate your own thoughts, instead of regurgitating that which you've been programmed to speak.

THEN, and only then, come onto a public/semi-private forum and tell everyone that they're wrong.

Explore MULTIPLE venues of fact. Cross-reference history with other perspectives. Formulate your own thoughts, instead of regurgitating that which you've been programmed to speak.

THEN, and only then, come onto a public/semi-private forum and tell everyone that they're wrong.
I have. I really enjoyed history my entire life. I'm not very well versed on the Pacific side of the war, and I didn't tell everyone they're wrong. I provided my opinion on the necessity of the use of two nukes.

Finally something you've said about military tactics that's based on reality
I’ve said little about tactics. We’ve quarreled mainly about your poor understanding of the Laws of Armed Conflict.
Isn't it funny that the people talking the most about what or who is the king of battle or whatever never served in any capacity, let alone deploy somewhere where they needed to do shit?
Military doctrine, history and policy aren’t the corporate knowledge of the services. And we wouldn’t expect a naval man to have any more credentials to speak about land conflict than I have.
Get the fuck out of here with your pussy ass revisionism. Seriously. Get the fuck out.
The emperor was ready to surrender the day Potsdam ended. It took a little while longer to get the military on board but it was a foregone conclusion. That said I have no objection to the use of the atomic bomb. I do object to strategic bombing but not on humanitarian grounds. It was a poor use of war resources given its inability to end Japanese production. The use of aircraft and ships to strangle Japan did that. I should have clarified that artillery is what wins industrial or peer to peer wars on land. The Navy is certainly the most important military service. And only nuclear airpower (missiles really) is strategic.
The only revisionist here is you. Did you have the same kind of revulsion against our carpet bombing of German and Japanese cities with conventional explosives?

You sound like a pussy who doesn't know how to win wars.

The Japs got what they got for starting a world fucking war.
Again, carpet bombing didn’t defeat anyone. It helped, but it wasn’t worth the 25% of war spending and US deaths.
I believe everyone knew the Japanese couldn't win (even the Japanese), but they were unwilling to surrender unconditionally since it would radically change their society. The military polity flat out refused to those terms. The US then dropped the first bomb (13kt yield). The military polity refused again, and told the emperor it would be catastrophic. They felt (initially) that the claims of the effectiveness of the atom bomb was over stated, and that it was likely the only one. Then the US dropped the second (and slightly larger yield of 21kt) plutonium based bomb. At that point, the emperor finally (and with the public backing) over ruled the military polity, and ended his reign (the main reason unconditional surrender was refused...it required the abdication of the throne). Hirohito (realistically) did not rule Japan, the military effectively did...with the Emperor's tacit approval. But when the second bomb was dropped, it gave Hirohito the political clout and cover to over rule the military and declare surrender, unconditionally.
The emperor didn’t abdicate.

Reactions: SethB
The Emperor abdicated his authority. He became a figurehead only. Now, if you want to start splitting hairs, and start playing the "I'm more right than you are" we can go there. But my patience for some of these fucking games are running thin these days...

I served in the Army for 10 years, half of that as an AD artillery officer. I am intimately familiar with rocket artillery.

1) It doesn't require military service to understand how these things work. The vast majority of the men and women that I served with don't understand how their equipment is employed against the enemy, let alone how other facets of the Army, DoD or other elements of national power work. As long as they can fire the missiles, I'm OK with that.

2) Artillery doesn't win wars, by itself, but it provides shaping and decisive effects. Artillery simultaneously denies freedom of moment to the enemy and requires that he relocate regularly to avoid massed fires. Applied to the ocean, this means that an enemy force that wants to move past a picket line has to conduct a large movement with support from air forces to overcome land based missiles. It magnifies their vulnerability at minimal cost. An artillery battery has a hand receipt of around $60M. A frigate is 10x that, a destroyer more like 20x, and the missile that can kill a ship costs $3M.

3) Nuking the Japanese wasn't a bad call, but it didn't end the war. The emperor not abdicate. Words mean stuff, and using the right ones is important.

Military doctrine, history and policy aren’t the corporate knowledge of the services.
LOL so you're a book reader. Just like I thought all hat and no cattle. You never put your balls on the line, or even ever said I will, and yet here you are sounding like a general.

And we wouldn’t expect a naval man to have any more credentials to speak about land conflict than I have.
And yet I have never claimed that expertise. Just called you out on your lack thereof. But nice deflection attempt.

Applied to the ocean, this means that an enemy force that wants to move past a picket line has to conduct a large movement with support from air forces to overcome land based missiles. It magnifies their vulnerability at minimal cost. An artillery battery has a hand receipt of around $60M. A frigate is 10x that, a destroyer more like 20x, and the missile that can kill a ship costs $3M.
Unlike infantry, combatant ships are not defenseless against artillery, rocket or otherwise.

Reactions: JakeM

Hey, I ain't agreeing with fucktard here but the way it's laid out to me is that's a popular myth they wanted the population to believe. The lawyers always come in after... I have two books that were printed during the war that FBI rounded up --these were hidden in an attic and given to my father in Detroit in the early 60's. They showed graphic photos, graphic by today's standard with decapitated children, that kind of shit. They were banned as propaganda though and govt. used the excuse that it showed dead servicemen in undignified poses. What the fuck is so dinified about dying in war? Anyway, these books have the ability to suck the lust for war out of the most hardened psychopath. One of the few times I ever saw my father cry. Fuck, the ONLY time. "WWII in Pictures" Vol.1 and 2. No, it won't be in your library, that's a different book (got that one too). These have Nazi red covers and are printed on newsprint, so they're falling apart. They paint a very different story about war and they don't tell you what to think.

Neither bomb was needed. Japan knew they were fucked, their head of the military said it but they replaced him over it IIRC. He's the guy that got shot down in a mathematical raid if you will, timing was key to make it look like an accidental crossing of paths. He orchestrated Pearl Harbor but was completely against it. Anyway, they just discovered his corpse and a gold bridge that proves it was him despite decades of people pouring over the wreck site, which is literally in the middle of nowhere. He's the guy that went to Ohio and Nebraska after going to Harvard or Yale and told 'em a war was impossible to win. Oh, he was also a Naval attache in DC prior to the war so nobody knew better what we were capable of circa 1930's.

The emperor was a tool the generals could use. The others, according to this admiral, were simply naive and Pearl Harbor and WW2 was simply a result of greed and ignorance. Sorta like when a moth flies into a bug zapper.

We were on Japanese Imperial soil --Okinawa. It was over. At this point we literally could have pulled a Caesar at Alesia and make it a war of attrition that they cannot win. They were besieged. It's an island. Russia was NOT an ally and they were deathly afraid of them getting into it now that Germany was over and we'd done it together. Remember, Russia had a bone to pick with Japan having fought 'em just ten or fifteen years prior. Forget the ideological concerns or fact that our generals wanted to keep on going to Moscow at the time.

So you tell me, how much longer could Japan keep up the war if we just sat the fuck still? They already ran out of material for making planes. Their pilots were all dead. Navy just shot to shit. What army? Training went to shit and they were damn near out of fighting age men. Not all were so fanatical about crashing a plane full of TNT into a ship by 1945 either.

So I'm not sold anymore the bomb was needed. I'm also under the impression that Japan tried to surrender but the surrender was delayed so they could drop the bomb.

But history also happens one way and it is irreversible. You can argue intentions of characters but you cannot argue the facts of what did happen. A war happened, a nuke was invented and used against an enemy. But let's not delude ourselves, had we just sat put then everyone in Japan would have starved to death in short order.

It's how Caesar won Alesia without a shot fired once he circled the city. Just sat 'em out. Why risk one man? Why use a cannonball to crush mosquito?

And with the discovery of Pu, that arsenal would explode to thousands including megaton hydrogen devices that were air deliverable. We still live under that threat. On the other hand, maybe it was best we dropped it then and everyone saw what it did vs. waiting to use it in N. Korea during the cold war --we may not have been born in that case. And you can't argue it wasn't better for us to use it vs. an invasion. But I can argue neither were necessary in the end.

Reactions: tomcatmv
Unlike infantry, combatant ships are not defenseless against artillery, rocket or otherwise.

Okay, so maybe it takes a few but that doesn't alter his argument.

Infantry ain't that defenseless... We got our ways. We also cost over $60,000 as a military item x200 or 12million dollars per company in today's (well, 2000 era) dollars. So yeah, we're pretty cheap. But not that defenseless. No war has been won yet without the use of the infantry in some part and without it, wouldn't have been won.

Queen of battle and all that shit...

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
LOL so you're a book reader. Just like I thought all hat and no cattle. You never put your balls on the line, or even ever said I will, and yet here you are sounding like a general.

And yet I have never claimed that expertise. Just called you out on your lack thereof. But nice deflection attempt.

You served. So what? I served... So what?

Infantry has a lot of defenses, they can be sneaky bastards, or they can dig in. More importantly, they have artillery assets behind them that are locked in an artillery duel with the enemy. Whoever attrits the enemy artillery faster can tear up the infantry as their dessert. The important thing is that fire and maneuver work together. An enemy that deploys itself to fight a maneuver force is vulnerable to artillery. This is why air power fails without a ground force to act as an anvil.

A ship on the ocean has to try to avoid detection or else engage incoming missiles. Given that the USNs worst case scenario for a war starts with a salvo of missiles that cripples or kills a number of US warships, it's obvious that there are still vulnerabilities. That's a lot like aircraft; ADA can shoot them down so you have to plan carefully designed missions to avoid detection and use artillery to suppress enemy air defenses (SEAD). So you're making the enemy's job harder just by employing missiles in the littorals.

Or strike first

Striking first, against a dispersed, land based force that is camoflauged against visual and radar sensors and emits no electromagnetic radiation because it is running all comms through fiber optic cables?

You can try it. It's going to be really difficult.

I have a formal education in these matters and read doctrine for fun. So your complaint is that we are equally ignorant? Noted.
It’s not a regular rocket, it’s an anti-ship missile similar to what a ship or aircraft would shoot. Except you can’t sink the island the launchers are on and by the time you shoot at the launchers they are driving away as fast as they can. They started driving before the ship knew they’d been fired.

Reactions: deersniper
I have a formal education in these matters and read doctrine for fun.
LOL armchair general

It’s not a regular rocket, it’s an anti-ship missile similar to what a ship or aircraft would shoot. Except you can’t sink the island the launchers are on and by the time you shoot at the launchers they are driving away as fast as they can. They started driving before the ship knew they’d been fired.
Rocket artillery is a well used term to include all guided and unguided missile batteries. If you think land vehicles are undetectable to ships offshore you clearly don't know much about network-centric naval warfare. Only an idiot like you thinks warships are purely defensive.

Striking first, against a dispersed, land based force that is camoflauged against visual and radar sensors and emits no electromagnetic radiation because it is running all comms through fiber optic cables?

You can try it. It's going to be really difficult.
You can't hide batteries from all the fleet's sensors no matter how hard you try. Your comms may be FO but your thermal signatures and radar cross section are still easy to find. From above.

You can't hide batteries from all the fleet's sensors no matter how hard you try. Your comms may be FO but your thermal signatures and radar cross section are still easy to find. From above.

Underneath nets designed to scatter radar and conceal IR? Sure, you'll get some... but enough? While also fighting air launched naval strike missiles, surface combatants and submarines?

The battlefield is getting much more dangerous than it was even 20 years ago.

So uh...did we win that one?
Shit was just fine when we pulled out. Like, quiet for the last 45 days fine. What happened after wasn't due to lack of artillery either. We did send in our arty battery, sans guns though, those men reopened the Kabul Embassy as a provisional rifle company and did one hell of a job.

One thing about COIN, it doesn't allow massive use of artillery or even air, everything must be precision strikes and for that a howitzer just doesn't cut it. War would be so much simpler if those darn pesky civilians weren't there, but for some reason even the most blood thirsty Marines don't like killing kids and women who just want to live peaceably.

I've done more than my fair share of calling in both indirect and air to know one piece of the battlefield pawns doesn't mean shit, it's all about combined arms and command of battle space through numerous facets of control. Combined arms isn't preached from day one in the Marine Corps for no reason, and whether it's "YATYAS", "Retreat, Hell" or "King of Battle", absolutely none of them do it by themselves.
Even the water dogs play a critical role. We still give them shit, but they're still important.

But, I still say tanks aren't expeditionary. If Marines need tanks, let them call the global best at it - the US Army.

OMG, you guy's are killing me.
There's nothing like being on the ground and calling up support, ground or air.

I guess I'm going to show my age when I say nothing compares to Navel Guns.
I seen the New Jersey in action before they mothballed her and IMHO nothing comes close to that.

Red man, agreed about combined arms. I was being lazy at the start of the thread. As Seth posted, artillery is used to prevent the enemy from massing and damage them when they do. Infantry and tanks exploit that. In an industrial war 80% of casualties are caused by high explosive.

Reactions: Redmanss
Are naval ISR assets better than the ISR assets that artillery hides from normally?

OMG, you guy's are killing me.
There's nothing like being on the ground and calling up support, ground or air.

I guess I'm going to show my age when I say nothing compares to Navel Guns.
I seen the New Jersey in action before they mothballed her and IMHO nothing comes close to that.
Oh shit, now that's just scary. Like that guy from True Lies, whom was self-proclaimed "navel lint" you have a whole new line of weaponry, there.

And yes, to have seen the Black Dragon actually "laying it on" would have been incredibly fabulous. I'm working on a 1:96 scratchbuild model of her, ish.... and almost finished working on the logistics. I'll be cutting metal for the ribs within a month or so.

Through out my life I was in a profession that allowed me to see a lot of amazing things.
Nothing I've seen to date can even get on the scales in comparison to The Jersey.

As for seeing it, well at the time I didn't understand the magnitude of what I witnessed,not until 25 years later.

The people that designed her were some serious bad asses, slide rules,paper and pencils

The Navy is doing some soul searching right now and there are a lot of signs that they are going to trim back their carrier and large combatant fleet in favor of smaller ships that are harder to find... and to put their eggs in more baskets in case they do get hit by a bunch of missiles.

I would expect to see fewer carriers at some point in the near future.

Except that artillery is the King of Battle.
That Marine artillery battery taught the Russian mercenary battalion and their armored vehicles this lesson a few years ago In Syria.

The leaked audio tape of that afterwards was fucking hillarious.

I will say I'm of the opinion technology has shifted a great deal even in the last 15-20 years if not since the last major whole sale wars. Not this piddling shit in the sand boxes of the world. History has shown that when technology shifts the results tend to lead to a bunch of dead people when a large scale conflict. Unless we are attentive and inventive we will repeat our selves in that history at some point; Then again it may be unavoidable as well even if we try to adapt to the new world we live in.

Very interesting discussion gents. What y’all think of the F35?
@Ravenworks wish I could see a ships full battery of 16”ers lighting off at once.

Also, can a 155mm take out a modern battle tank? Who wins if a armored self propelled 155 and a MBT have to duke it out?

Reactions: Ravenworks
Very interesting discussion gents. What y’all think of the F35?
@Ravenworks wish I could see a ships full battery of 16”ers lighting off at once.

Also, can a 155mm take out a modern battle tank? Who wins if a armored self propelled 155 and a MBT have to duke it out?
Since almost everything on the f35 is classified if you know.....

A 155 can very easily take out any armor with a rap round or a copperhead from a safe distance...

The abrams would destroy an m109a6-7 10/10 times if it was in range of the 120. Not a ton of armor on SP's

MacArthur was insane. He had this idea that we had to physically seize Japan and kill every person who opposed us. An island with almost no raw resources and few fighting men left, who we could have shelled from the sea for years if we wanted. This is the same psychopath that wanted enough nuclear weapons to kill every person in China and North Korea for daring to fight us.

We needed to win the war. We didn’t need to kill hundreds of thousands of people to display a weapon in a nation we knew were on the verge of surrender. You can not justify to me that we are in the right for immolating people who had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor, simply for being Japanese. That’s a very simplistic way of looking at war. OUR team are the GOOD guys and everything we do is RIGHT. Anyone whois against us are the BAD guys and nothing too bad can happen to them.
For all your pontificating, you're pretty ignorant and come up short on a lot of FACTS.

Reactions: plong
MacArthur was insane. He had this idea that we had to physically seize Japan and kill every person who opposed us. An island with almost no raw resources and few fighting men left, who we could have shelled from the sea for years if we wanted. This is the same psychopath that wanted enough nuclear weapons to kill every person in China and North Korea for daring to fight us.

We needed to win the war. We didn’t need to kill hundreds of thousands of people to display a weapon in a nation we knew were on the verge of surrender. You can not justify to me that we are in the right for immolating people who had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor, simply for being Japanese. That’s a very simplistic way of looking at war. OUR team are the GOOD guys and everything we do is RIGHT. Anyone whois against us are the BAD guys and nothing too bad can happen to them.
Mac was not insane, however he was egotistical and narcissistic to an extreme.
What you totally fail to understand and know nothing about is that the Kwantung Army in Manchuria was intact and well equipped and ready to come back to the mainland, especially after being beaten back by the Red Army. They numbered about ~700k troops. Not exactly no fighting age troops as you put it. Also, Japan had been training most of the civilian population to fight and defend to the death. Post war translations of their plans indicated that they expected in excess of 10 million civilians to perish in this defense and figured the US would lose so many troops as to quit trying to invade.
It was the atomic bombs in addition to the threat of invasion by the Soviets that finally convinced the Emperor to stop the war. Tojo was committed to keep on keeping on. The Japanese, by most accounts, felt it was their best interest to surrender to the US than be conquered by the Soviets.
So save your pity party about the 10's of thousands lost by the A bomb. We likely saved 10's of millions doing so. Besides, many more were lost in the fire bombing of Tokyo. I guess that's ok by you. And as an aside, at no time did any religion play a part in the plans. So you can stick that self righteousness as well.

I will add this: if you truly want to get facts and understand what was happening at the time, then take the advice others here have given regarding reading the books of people who were there. Also, you would do well to listen/read to anything Victor Davis Hanson has to say on the subject.

Also, as much as I dislike MacArthur, consider how the world would be different today if we had used nukes against the Chinese in Korea. And before you get to crying about how many people would die, consider the genocide committed by both Kim and Mao. The cultural revolution in China murdered over 50 million civilians. And that is a conservative estimate. If the nukes had of stopped the Chinese and N. Koreans, and put in new governments.... just how many more might have lived in contrast? Things to ponder...
Sometimes you have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

It doesn't work like that. In a direct fire engagement the tanks would slaughter the artillery, but getting to that point means crossing other tanks as well as infantry with their ATGMs.

Artillery can kill tanks with DPICM ammunition of even a large amount of HE that will shred their tracks, antennas, etc.