• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Guide to Pulsar 2017 line-up

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
Hello, Pulsar announced a large number new model numbers this yr. Here is a very rough list to help you wade through the 2017 line-up. Some things may change with the production units so please take that into account with the following info. Other folks please feel free to add info as it becomes available.

APEX LINE

The new Apex line will initially have a XQ38 and a XQ50. These will be in the same housings as before but the "Q" signifies that it has the new 17 micron 384x288 res core. These new 17 micron units drop the pixel pitch down to 17 microns from the previous 25. This both sharpens the image and allows for more Mag out of the same or slightly smaller lens. The XQ38 and XQ50 will have optical mags of 2.1x and 2.7x respectively. The new units will all use the OLED display that was previously an upgrade. There may be some slight software tweaks but as far as I have been told, those two items are the main differences in the new APEX line. The real kicker is the pricing.....

MAP on the Apex XQ38 is $2499 and the APEX XQ50 $2799.....yep better picture and OLED display for less $ than the models they are replacing. Having used the XQ38 quantum hand-held for the last several months, I can say that the new 17 micron internals make for a very crisp image.

APEX LRF LINE

The LRF line will be the XQ38 and XQ50 APEX housing with an integral laser range finder that has a 1000m capable range. The units are still getting tweaked but the shot show model had a small rectangular box on the display that coincided with the LRF. Line the box up with what you want to range and press a button... range is then shown on the display. Those of you that hunt regularly with thermal know that range estimation can be quite difficult especially if you are varmint hunting. If you are shooting subs out of a 300 blackout it can mean missing a 100yd shot. Pricing was released at shot show but I believe they are tweaking that a bit too... expect a 500 or so dollar premium over the standard XQ apex line.

TRAIL LINE

The TRAIL line comes in a completely new housing that has a smaller footprint than the APEX line. The menu is accessed using buttons on top of the unit and the focus knob has been relocated to the top of the unit near the lens. The TRAIL series has a 8gb on-board DVR, 5500 (IIRC) Mah rechargeable battery with 6+ hour run time (bigger battery available as an accessory), wifi that can stream recorded and live video to an external device (ie, computer, smart phone--ios & android, ipad, etc), and several more features. The sensors will be a 640x480 17 micron unit in the XP line and a 384x288 17 micron like the other XQ APEX models. The DVR will have a recoil operated recording feature with continuous buffer ( not sure on buffer time but 5 seconds was being discussed) so you can get the full shot on video. You still have the ability to save rifle profiles but can now save different bore-sights within each profile. Another change to the TRAIL software is the ability to use variable PIP zooms. The APEX line allowed you to use double the optical mag (2x) in the PIP window. The TRAIL allows you to use 2x,3x,4x for the PIP so for example on the trail XP50 the optical mag is 1.6x so the PIP window can now be set to 3.2x, 6.4x, 12.8x. This makes the already great PIP feature even more user friendly and allows for precise shot placement through the PIP window while keeping an extremely wide FOV at 640x480 res (XP) through the rest of the display.. The TRAIL units still offer the .1 "smooth zoom" increments that the APEX line features on the main screen.

TRAIL MAP pricing is as follows

XP50 1.6x $4999 PIP- 3.2x, 6.4x, 12.8x

XP38 1.2x $4499 PIP- 2.4x, 4.8x, 9.6x

XQ50 2.7x $3799 PIP- 5.4x, 10.8x

XQ38 2.1x $3299 PIP- 4.2x, 8.4x

XQ30 $2799 this will be a fixed focus model. Still awaiting confirmation on optical mag...more than likely around 1.5x.

NOTE***One thing to remember is some manufacturers round the Optical mag up when naming models ( brand commonality, marketing etc). Sometimes a 2x model from brand A is actually 1.8x and a 1.5x is actually 1.1x. Pulsar listed actual mag with the TRAIL. For example, when looking through a competitor's 1.5x 640 side by side with the XP38 it was obvious that the 1.2x TRAIL had more magnification. Field of view is sometimes the best reference when comparing optical zoom numbers.

I purchased an XD38A rifle scope, very nice unit. I wanted a monocular so I had a bit of a gun room yardsale and I ordered one of the new Helion XQ50F monoculars. Supposed to ship in mid March. Looks pretty slick, has lots of options, streaming wifi, video onboard, rechargeable battery pack, (coming soon cartridges that will take replaceable batteries for hunting remote areas) I am excited to try it out. 4.1X base magnification. Only downfall I can see is the new housing does not have a rail on it so it will be hard to marry it to an IR laser to "paint targets" for the night vision. Gonna figure a way to mount it to the tripod.

Any update on a ship date? I ordered 2 XQ50's. They looked great at shot show. I think the XP50 isn't worth the extra grand unless FOV is very important to you. 2.7x still isn't a ton especially for hunting in a field or at a feeder which most people do. The XQ50 and XP50 have the same detection range. I think these scopes are going to change the market in a really good way!!!

Reactions: Dark-water
Thanks for the write-up. I'm keeping my eye on the new thermals.

I'm new here and new to thermals. Just recently started coyote hunting, as they are rapidly becoming a problem.
The thread is very helpful in my research! Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will somebody compare what xp and xq means in reference to xd for those of us who don't know the difference please?
it looks like the xd50a is now the xp50, a 640 version and the xq is the new 320 version. Clarification from somebody who knows would be nice.

Last edited:
d52dba095f3fad51c724daf454e5e224.jpg

Very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post all of this.

Will somebody compare what xp and xq means in reference to xd for those of us who don't know the difference please?
it looks like the xd50a is now the xp50, a 640 version and the xq is the new 320 version. Clarification from somebody who knows would be nice.

q is the 17 micron 384x288
p is the 17 micron 640x480
d is the discontinued 25 micron 384x288

Any update on a ship date? I ordered 2 XQ50's. They looked great at shot show. I think the XP50 isn't worth the extra grand unless FOV is very important to you. 2.7x still isn't a ton especially for hunting in a field or at a feeder which most people do. The XQ50 and XP50 have the same detection range. I think these scopes are going to change the market in a really good way!!!

Just received our first TRAIL units. They are slowly coming in. The XQ30 trail is almost identical spec wise to the xd38a and has a 1.6-6.4x mag. MAP is 2799 on that one and of course it has all of the TRAIL features..........these things are great.

The trail is an awesome scope. Just got a couple in and they have fantastic features and very impressive image. I'd argue they are the best value on the market right now.

I ordered the trail xp50. Now we're just waiting for them to ship... I am not a patient person when it comes to my toys!

Here is a pic through the XQ50 at 45 yds. The 2.7x optical mag is really nice and the 384 17 micron core is impressive and a great alternative to the 640 if you want to save some $. vlcsnap-2017-04-13-21h58m03s707.png

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2017-04-13-21h58m03s707.png
    vlcsnap-2017-04-13-21h58m03s707.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 33
  • vlcsnap-2017-04-13-21h59m07s466.png
    vlcsnap-2017-04-13-21h59m07s466.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 31
Someone compare the difference xq38 image quality compared to xp38? I mean an actual comparison side by side, same night, same humidity, same distance. Anyone do the same for the xq50 and xp50?

what kind of battery do these use? are they all the same? or is there a different system for different models?

please forgive my ignorance....i know no one who has experience with these things.

Last edited:
The Trail and Helion both use same battery pack... rechargeable, throw a lever and it pops right out of
either said unit.
The battery packs come in 2 sizes.
Ips5
Ips10

The Ips5 comes standard with either unit, and seems to work quite well for me.
Easy to use and holds a charge a long time.. I didnt keep track of exact hours but
I know I went out several nights on same pack before charging.

i have not tried the Ips10 pack. So far the Ips5 has more than enough reserve,
even in the sub temps we have been out in thus far.

I cannot comment on the latter Apex line as far as batt packs, as I have no experience
with those.

Are the Trail and the Helion the same except the Trail is mountable? So essentially if you take the mount off the Trail and add the strap you have a Helion? If not what are the differences?