• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun help,

Nowayimissed

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2011
Just about to buy me a long range gun I'm new to it, I've practiced a lot with my rem 700 22-250 only out 600yd now I'm looking to get a bigger gun. I've been told several different calibers like 243,260,308 just wanted some insight on what you guys thought!

Re: Gun choice?

We are shooting 24in steel man silhouette targets and my goal is 1k yards

If you're just shooting steel at 1k, then I'd recommend a 243 with 107 SMK's over some H4831SC. Put a brake on it and rock on.

There are definitely a couple calibers you can choose from. The .308 is a tried and true round which I think the US Forces use up to around 1000 yrds. If you go bigger, the .338 is a fantastic round that is very accurate and powerful at 1000+ yards. I've also shot a 7mm Rem Mag (though not at extreme distances) and its a damn good and flat round as well. Ultimately, its up to you and what gun you want to use.

260 ftw way more energy at distance than 243. I loved my 243 but it just didn't swing the targets with as much authority as I needed so I switched to 7 wsm but 260 was my 2nd choice

7mm Rem. Mag. is a good "killing" round and is good at long range.
A bit of a punch at the receiver end. Very flat shooting. I think it's under rated, but then I'm not the board expert.

I shoot .308 because I grew up deer hunting with it, went through basic training with it in the M-14, and my crew used it in our M-60's on or birds.

I shoot what I know.

Get a 7mm Mag. and a good brake or suppressor.

7mm Rem. Mag. is a good "killing" round and is good at long range.
A bit of a punch at the receiver end. Very flat shooting. I think it's under rated, but then I'm not the board expert.

If I could have but one round, other than the .22 Long Rifle for survival, for survival, it's be the 7mm Rem. Mag.

I shoot .308 because I grew up deer hunting with it, went through basic training with it in the M-14, and my crew used it in our M-60's on or birds.

I shoot what I know.

Get a 7mm Mag. and a good brake or suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm Rem. Mag. is a good "killing" round and is good at long range.

I shoot what I know.

Get a 7mm Mag. and a good brake or suppressor.</div></div>

I agree. 7mm RemMag is a wonderful round. Shoots very flat and is predictable. DEFINITELY get a break or suppressor. I have a Tikka T3 (the action is like butter) and I love it but its a light gun and the kick is terrible. I could barely get through 2 boxes. But, I slapped a break on that thing and its great.