• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gun Metal Finishes

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
I appreciate the idea of metal finishes (ceracote, duracoat, gunkote, armorycoat, krylon, alumahyde etc...) for anti-corrosion purposes.
I struggle with it however. I have experience with them all. I've owned guns professionally coated and I've sprayed them myself. I've yet to see a finish that doesn't wear down, flake and look like shit. Some wear faster than others but they all do it.
The Teflon impregnated products seem to wear best in the actions and around moving parts. Believe it or not IMHO Alumahyde II actually wears with the closet look to worn metal.
I think for me tho, I am done with painting my pieces. I admire the way steel wears. It looks natural to me. From now on ill have my mild steel parked, my stainless nitrided and my aluminum anodized. To hell with painting anything but the stock.
Rant over..... You may now flame me.

Re: Gun Metal Finishes

Do you actually have a question?
confused.gif

You're not wrong. It's your opinion, and your choice as a free American to do or not do. Best of luck with your new choices.

I agree, I don't really like "coatings"...

I do like nitriding and parkerizing though.

Everything wears. Even case hardening will eventually wear off levers, receivers, etc. So...pick the finish you like the most and live with it. If you don't want your finish to wear then put your piece in a glass case, seal it, and admire it from a distance.

Some of you guys missed the point....... I don't mind wear. I just prefer the way steel looks when it naturally wears.

I like the way walnut and a polished blue job looks but it ain't worth a shit for hard use rifles exposed to the elements.

You had to call me out on the shotgun........
I'm running a Mossberg Mariner for my scatter gun. It has some kind of saltwater resistant coating on all the parts (that actually works). Funny thing is that in 20 years it has never corroded or shown wear, but it stains.
It's been completely submerged in saltwater. Cleaned it three days later (only time ever) and It's been good ever since.

I gave over my Savage custom to a friend to do a barrel switch from .260 to .30BR. I essentially leave everything up to him and let myself be surprised. In general, I'm not a fan of paint, but I keep that to myself in this instance.

The rifle I got back was simply a gem, no other way to describe it.

In addition to some reworking of the barrel, redrilling and remounting the scope base with stouter screws that I didn't even realize were (one) broken, an upgraded bolt handle, headspaced and probably lugs lapped, crowned?; the rifled action received a flawless application of a Light Gray KG Gunkote.

Some bucks changed hands, but I'm certian I only paid a fraction of the work's true worth. Same days, life is <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> way, and that was one of my luckiest ones in memory.

Over the past year, the rifle has been subjected to regular match usage, often several times a month. If the finish is getting wear, I'm not seeing it; whenever I see a blemish, I wipe it down with a damp Hoppe's shop cloth and it's gone, obviously gunk and not clobberage.

Greg

Ok, I have one. What type of finish is best used on a polymer frame for a pistol that would be used for EDC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I have one. What type of finish is best used on a polymer frame for a pistol that would be used for EDC? </div></div>

I'm not a fan of painting polymer but there are several products you could use. Both KG and NIC make an air cure. You also have Duracoat. You could also use H series Cerakote and bake at 180 for 2 hours. If you go the baking route I would confirm with NIC that baking wont harm your frame. I know it works on fiberglass stocks.