• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gun mount for tripod head?

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
I'm looking for something reasonably priced to use in a hunting scenario.

I have a rifle mounted in an XLR Element Chassis. What I'd like is to have something quick and kind of on the lower priced side that attaches to the chassis and can quickly click into my tripod head. I have an extra ball head laying around that I could use, or buy a quick detach plate for my Manfortto pan head and just slip the plate in and connect to the gun maybe via picatinny rail or something?

I use a bi-pod, but there's times in a hunting situation I would need to shoot in a siting position due to terrain/vegetation preventing a prone shot.

I did a quick search and didn't come up with my answer. Figure this ones been done many times and theres a simple solution at low costs.

Thanks iun advance for the tips!

Xlr has dovetail mounts for the Mlock chassis if yours is Mlock. Could also just find a small dovetail mount on Amazon for $10 and mod it to fit.

i got the pig saddle, which threads directly into the screw atop my tripod. sure you can get a pistol grip, leveling base or other intermediate piece, but the direct mount has less crap in the way and gives a little wiggle room despite being pretty sturdy. you just turn the side knob on the pig saddle to tighten it down on your rifle. pretty straightforward and doesn't break the bank. i also got their 0311 tripod, under $300 combined.

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig-saddle-1/

I went with the Pig Saddle as well as their tripod. Absolutely no regrets with either.

i got the pig saddle, which threads directly into the screw atop my tripod. sure you can get a pistol grip, leveling base or other intermediate piece, but the direct mount has less crap in the way and gives a little wiggle room despite being pretty sturdy. you just turn the side knob on the pig saddle to tighten it down on your rifle. pretty straightforward and doesn't break the bank. i also got their 0311 tripod, under $300 combined.

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig-saddle-1/
+1

How much can you move the rifle with a direct thread pig/hog saddle? Seems like it’d all lock in with zero adjustment.

How much can you move the rifle with a direct thread pig/hog saddle? Seems like it’d all lock in with zero adjustment.
You have to have a leveling head, at a minimum. I think what he's saying is he doesn't add more stuff like a ball head atop the leveling base.

Reactions: sodakhunter
Leveling head? Sorry, I’m just starting to actually learn about these.

Cheap arca swiss plate and a couple screws to attache it to the XL. https://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DPL-100-PL100-Release-Compatible/dp/B00CIV065S . If you don't have the correct clamp for your tripod this will attach to the tripod head. https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Alumi...&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=arca+swiss+clamp&psc=1

I put a full rail on mine.

This is pretty much what I did on my krg. Bought a 200mm and cut it to fit behind the pic rail for my Harris. Cost 12 bucks.

If you can't / want to fit an RRS dovetail and a leveling head to the tripod the hog saddle will certainly fit the bill. A ball head will be useful if you hunt on steep slopes thus requiring bigger angles

Xlr has dovetail mounts for the Mlock chassis if yours is Mlock. Could also just find a small dovetail mount on Amazon for $10 and mod it to fit.
-
what he said, or just get a Quick Detach. plate for the tripod head and just tap/thread a QD Pic. lever attachment to the QD plate . It will just attach off/on to the Pic. Rail of XLR handguard .

This is pretty much what I did on my krg. Bought a 200mm and cut it to fit behind the pic rail for my Harris. Cost 12 bucks.

Yep, 350mm rail a few fasteners, a couple clamps, less than $100 bucks for the whole thing on my XLR.

Dumb question but here goes. Is 50mm the standard width for the arca? That comes out to 1.9685 inches. I saw someone had mentioned 1.5 inches for width.

I'm looking for something reasonably priced to use in a hunting scenario.

I have a rifle mounted in an XLR Element Chassis. What I'd like is to have something quick and kind of on the lower priced side that attaches to the chassis and can quickly click into my tripod head. I have an extra ball head laying around that I could use, or buy a quick detach plate for my Manfortto pan head and just slip the plate in and connect to the gun maybe via picatinny rail or something?

I use a bi-pod, but there's times in a hunting situation I would need to shoot in a siting position due to terrain/vegetation preventing a prone shot.

I did a quick search and didn't come up with my answer. Figure this ones been done many times and theres a simple solution at low costs.

Thanks iun advance for the tips!

Triclawps

Dumb question but here goes. Is 50mm the standard width for the arca? That comes out to 1.9685 inches. I saw someone had mentioned 1.5 inches for width.

Yes, it's typically 1.5". But the width of the dovetails is only one part of question; you also need the height of the dovetail over the base. RRS has a well defined standard, whereas there is no standard for "arca."
http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/patents