• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Number?

ohaley

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2017
Valdez
Can you guys help me understand gun number? I was watching a dvd on Tremor2 and also the youtube video on Tremor2 and gun number is mentioned. A 308 it s "10 gun" etc. I have a .223 bolt gun so how do I come up with my gun number? Do I run muzzle velocity, grain bullet, etc., in a ballistic calculator? Please help the new guy, sometimes....well a lot of times, the obvious just passes right by me! I have a bad habit of making things a lot harder than they need to be.....
Thanks in advance!

I think "tremor 2" is a reticle. Sounds like you were watching videos where some one was selling a paticular reticle. If some one needs to make a video to sell a reticle then it's not for me.

Im assuming this is the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvLBKjLHgI

If so, they are just giving you a fast DOPE for your gun. by establishing what your elevation is for a given range for a given size target (12" in their example) you can have a quick dirty estimated holdoff that will if anything get you in the area for a quick follow up second shot hit.

12" target is .8 mils in your reticle and hold off is 2.62 = 10.62 (from the video) so basically what they are saying is figure this out for your gun and you can have a a quick estimate of your holds. then hold at the closest actual mill line to the target. In order to use this, you have to have an idea of what your holds are at given ranges.

Ive actually never seen this method or heard of it, but thats what i gathered from the 5 minutes i spent watching the video. Incidentally, this method would work on any reticle.