• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun range rant

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
so I went to my gun club today to re-zero my .308 and initial zero my AR. Since it's a "private" club but is open to the public on Saturdays and Wednesday evening only I thought Sunday would be a good time to go. Big mistake, the place was packed! One member brought his Dad, two other adults and two kids, all non-members and a couple other guys (members) were there with a friend or two each. So they start taking up all the bench space. Pissed me off! I said something to the RSO because I thought club rules said you were only allowed to bring one guest on non-public days and he just shrugged his shoulders and basically said "deal with it". He did make them free up acouple of positions. Don't get me wrong, they were all nice folks and were obeying range rules and all but, sheesh, there was no way I could zero anything with all the shit going on. Oh well, I feel better now! Rant out!

Re: Gun range rant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... there was no way I could zero anything with all the shit going on.</div></div>How does activity affect your ability to zero a rifle?

Gun clubs are getting like this all over the place, I'm afraid.

The Colorado Rifle Club, for me, a member of 14 years, is losing it's appeal thanks to the ranges being monopolized by matches every weekend. Now some people want to use the weekdays for matches as well.

Since here in Colorado the women are ugly and the jobs don't pay very well, well, the CRC is about the only good reason to live here.

Seriously consider buying some cheap land and do it yourself. I'm looking and it isn't as expensive as I was led to believe.

I know, it's just that the guy next to me was shooting a.300 win mag and a guy two doors down was dumping mags like crazy out of an AR. Seems like every time I got myself settled in and was about to squezze, BOOM next door or bang,bang,bang. Shook my rest and all. I know the pros probably wouldn't be bothered by it but I am not that accustomed to it.

Only thing worse is when your range closes for the day because someone rented the club house and doesn't want to hear gunshots all day. Irony.

Are you f*ckin serious? If you cannot sight in a rifle with people people around you shooting "to much" then you need to go play freakin golf or something. The only issue I have at the range is when people come up and just start touching my rigs. I don't go up to your wife and stick my finger in her count, don't touch my rifle (unless you ask).

I have a good time meeting people and shooting with people. Allot of the time I go alone and usually run into someone to shoot the distance with. You run into some tards sometimes like the guy who was shooting my freshly put up target while I was setting up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Since here in Colorado the women are ugly and the jobs don't pay very well, well, the CRC is about the only good reason to live here.

</div></div>

HAHA funniest thing ever.
On a side note isn't there a lot of BLM to shoot on in colorado I just shoot on public BLM land usually. I only shoot at gunclubs for skeet.

The only thing that stands out to me about the club here I am a member of is there is one jerk off who is somehow in charge there who wants to act like I am a border line criminal for shooting suppressed. Loves to tell me you better have your stamp on you. I do of course but I if am not doing wrong after the first five times you asked F*ckoff. This club wont allow full auto or even more then five rounds in a rifle magazine to prevent the mag dump issues. They also have strict rules like no torso, zombie, bad guy, Osama etc targets. They are always worried about a reporter filming something that even looks like a problem. Good luck PG

So let me get this straight. You have issue with people bringing potential shooters to a range to show them what fun it is to own guns and shoot? You cannot zero a rifle in an area with a lot of noise? We will make sure to tell any potential threat to you to make sure they are quiet, take their time, and don't rattle you when they attack then so you can handle the stress better
wink.gif

The most fun I had an a range I was a member of was when I took my son and his friends to shoot a bunch of stuff. One kid, a raised Quaker and pacifist had more fun than anyone else. He now owns several rifles and is working on obtaining his pistol permit in in NY(Syracuse). If no one is trying to mess with my stuff, I love having a range full of people around. It lends to that bit of chaos in the air, a lot of distraction, and an overall good place to shoot for precision. The other fun part is when those 'regular folk' see something that isn't a 30-30, 12 gauge, or .22, or 30-06 and want to know what it's all about. Giving a little educational talk goes distances to inoculate folks into our hobby and making it grow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't go up to your wife and stick my finger in her count, </div></div>

The last coughwhorecough I mean exwife told me there was one gent in the whole US who didn't walk up to her and wanna stick his finger "in her count", now I know who it was and I want to thank you for being a gentleman!!! Just sayin
smile.gif

Found a cigar, a pic of Charlie Sheen, couple a hub caps and Tupac but never dug any further.......

At an old range I used to go to; they had private "bays" for a few bucks more. 2 50yrds and 2 100yrds. The range master would walk you out there give you a safety run down and if you were obviously knolledgeable they left and let you shoot alone. The only exception was auto fire. Where they had to be there. Auto fire was private bay only. Not sure if suppressors were allowed. The 100 was a typical 4 seat set up , just for you or your party. The 50 yrd bay had a picnic table and a rifle rack. The rest was open , you could practice point blank of need be. No outside non paper targets were permitted.
The range masters were jerkoffs on public ranges and constantly touched and rough handled your weapon for "safety checks" even when locked back with a safety block.
The employees were just in general assholes anyway .
Due to this ive Been shooting at my home range untill we made some recent land changes. Now im having to make another, without already having a,natural hill (berm) (making a berm sucks fyi)
Anyway I know how you feel. Public ranges should really seperate the shooter benches to limit the vibrations. And seprate non shooters , who should have a sitting area behind a painted line (seperating the shooters).
Bring these ideas / complaints up with the owner.

Yeah, I know I should just cowboy up. But when the guy next to you only 4-5 feet away is shooting a .300 Win mag with a muzzle brake it tends to get a little distracting, just sayin'.

Helping people out at the range has only benefited my life, irony is when one guy went to my wife's work trying to find me. She had the day off and the other guy she worked with got all stressed cause he was talking about shooting. Wanted to thank me again for helping him and asked if I would help some other friends of his, he was a vet from WW2.

Shit doesn't get cooler than that. Not going to lie, I get stressed out a tad when people are there, but the best way to overcome fear is to tackle it. I go talk to those folks, worse thing that can happen is they tell you to piss off. Often, you will find out some nice ideas on loads and every now and then, learn some awesome new trick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But when the guy next to you only 4-5 feet away is shooting a .300 Win mag with a muzzle brake it tends to get a little distracting, just sayin'. </div></div>

Was at sac valley 2 years ago, @ the 300yd line, under a tin roof someone had a 300win mag with a brake on it. Was throwing burnt powder into the side of my face, that did suck. But I learned to forgo it and forge ahead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you f*ckin serious? If you cannot sight in a rifle with people people around you shooting "to much" then you need to go play freakin golf or something. The only issue I have at the range is when people come up and just start touching my rigs. I don't go up to your wife and stick my finger in her count, don't touch my rifle (unless you ask).

I have a good time meeting people and shooting with people. Allot of the time I go alone and usually run into someone to shoot the distance with. You run into some tards sometimes like the guy who was shooting my freshly put up target while I was setting up. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try zeroing in your moms basement Nancy</div></div>

HA HA HA HA HA! Some of the funniest shit I have ever read on here. Damn, I love this place!
laugh.gif

It does suck but consider it practice. Shooting with distraction improves your shooting without distractions.

It's something I'll gladly put up with if it means that more people are taking part in, or at least understanding, shooting sports.

I had some guy fondling my .338 LM ammo without asking on Sunday. I did not like it.

Myself an a buddy are members of Mississippi Gun Owners. Another member in our area puts on a shoot a couple times a year. Folks visit,shoot and eat. We just had one a couple weeks back with around 50 members and guests. We always bring a bunch of oddball and specialized stuff to let everybody shoot. My 50bmg is always a hit and this year we shot spotter/tracers into Tannerite filled Teddy bears.

Last range in Mi I went to range rules are only one round allowed in the mag at a time. One RSO for every three lanes and these clowns are trying to teach people to zero their optics shooting one round at a time. So now I just go find an abandoned building downtown and shoot a few mags and leave.

When I was looking for a gun club to join, I looked all over the metro area and surrounding counties. Every club around had issues that pissed me off. Most had public range days, which I did not want to deal with. I don't mind going to public ranges if I need to, but they're a hassle. You deal with excessive safety rules made for the lowest common denominator, and that is problematic when you need to do something beyond shooting slowfire from the bench. It broke down like this:

Range 1: 2 year wait list, mandatory work days where you had to RSO several times a year, no silhouette or human-like targets, no rapid fire, shooting only from the firing line, Open to the public a couple days a month and all through hunting season, 200yd max range.

Range 2: no wait list, 600yd rifle range, open to the public once a month and every weekend during hunting season, mandatory RSO work, during public days, must shoot with supervision, must shoot from the firing line only at the specified ranges (cannot move the targets closer), no rapid fire.

Range 3: wait list, shotgun, handgun and archery only, public range days, must shoot from the line only.

I have to drive 50 miles to go to my current club, but it's a great club. The only one that I was able to find that actually allowed me to do what I want. 1000yd rifle range, 200m multi-purpose range, 100yd multi-purpose range, 3x50yd pistol bays, archery, campground, clubhouse, NOT open to the public except during events, no full-auto fire (unfortunately), you can set up targets at any range and shoot from wherever you want as long as you're safe, lots of events (which is fun, but also annoying at times), and generally not busy during the week. We have a 2-guest maximum per member which is strictly enforced. We have no RSOs working- it's all self-policing/self-accountability.
I used to get bothered on occasion by the old guys when I'd be off on my own doing rapid fire shooting drills with movement with my ARs in one of the separate bays. At first they started making comments about questioning the safety of it. I started wearing my tactical body armor with my POLICE patches on it, and I haven't been bothered since.
Only real issue is that there's always some goober that shows up with an AK or SKS and a buddy in tow, and wants to tell me how cool it is. Don't care.

Then, when it comes to public ranges, the indoor ones are always populated by ghetto superstar thuglettes shooting a "trey-five-seven" or "a nine", or Ese's rapid-fire shooting a Ruger 10/22 with a banana magazine. I once tried going up next to them and shooting my 7.5" AR, which is just obnoxiously loud and concussive, to drive them off the range. Nope- they just wanted to talk to me. Didn't ever do that again.

So what's the problem? Some people would kill to have 4 ranges within 50 miles with that kind of variety.....

Suffer in silence dude. If you can't shoot/zero your rifle with a little noise, golf is nice and quiet. And like others have said, why are you bitching about a lot of people coming out to shoot? The gun owning community needs that now more than ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what's the problem? Some people would kill to have 4 ranges within 50 miles with that kind of variety..... </div></div>
I'm one of those people. I drive 2 1/2 hours to shoot at a range and at that range the longest bay is 200 yards.

i am spoiled. i belong to a range 10 minutes away. 300 yards on the flat, steel on a hill at 425 yards. belong to a range 90 minutes with pits at 600 & 1000. matches at 600 90 minutes away, 3 hours to camp perry. 2 hours to another 1000 yards and 3 hours to even another 1000 yards range. all have pits and regular matches. almost forgot a 500 yard range 2 hours away and a 300 yard range under an hour. all these have f class matches. pittsburgh area is great.

Haha sucks for you guys. Owell I remember what it was like shooting at a indoor range. Now I live in the country and open my door for rimfire or drive 5 minutes up a logging road to a 600yd cross canyon shooting into a clay bank.

Maybe you should bring this up at one of your club meetings. I understand that young people should be introduced to firearms as I have my sons. However, if you pay a membership to a club that has rules these rules should be followed. Otherwise you might as well go to a state range and watch some jackass in jeans,work boots, and an airsoft tactical vest rip through 1000 rounds out of his sweet AK74 and not hit one single target all the while pelting you in the back with hot brass.

Other than Camp Perry are any of these ranges in Ohio I live near Cleveland and I am quite new to long range shooting. I am a member of a local sportmans club but our range is only 200 yards.

i shoot at 2 ranges in ohio that are longer. solon sportsmans assoc. has a 600 yard range near andover, oh. alliance rifle club has a dual 600/1000 yard range near malvern,ohio. both are members only, but have matches open the the public. no steel, paper targets with pits.

i dont feel so bad, tucson dave and i made our own range.
we will run out of gun before we do land . you guys should come to Arizona

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you say "firefight"? </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ff5DlpZiMZ0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ff5DlpZiMZ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

VolGuy in less than 3 hours you could be sitting at Thunder Valley Precision and enjoying the hell out of targets up to and exceeding 1 mile. Tom has a helluva nice place there. I can't wait to drive up from Kentucky again probably next weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing worse is when your range closes for the day because someone rented the club house and doesn't want to hear gunshots all day. Irony. </div></div>

Are you serious? What range/club is that?

I guess those folks that came as guest need to seek life else where until you get your crap together.

When they start waving around the muzzle on an unsecured weapon, then you have some thing to wine about

Here is an idea take that membership fee and put it towards a lease or your own land.

Yes, sighting in is a BITCH when every asshat shoots your 500m target:(

My backyard only has a 300m range. Time to get the D9 out and clear some trees.

I find it very frustrating when you are trying to shoot for groups and other shooters are shooting the sh*t out of your target!

If you can do it, by all means buy property and have your own, private range. Mine is only 200 yds, but it is MINE and use is strictly by invitation only.
I can also shoot 60 yds out my basement window, and clays off my deck.

I love it.....

I used to have 200 yards in a straight line at my house. Then an industrial park was built about 1/4 mile behind me, it's too close, don't want one to bounce over the berm. My luck, some ding-dong would be collecting butterflies... or someshit.

I see some of the pics from the Western states, makes me wish I could pick up camp and head that way. I would miss the water.

Been asking local realtors if any owners would be willing to lease for a 1000yard range, my insurance guy said a hunt club lease would be ok regarding liability. Got my fingers crossed. Ranges suck, unless you can go during the week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VolGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you should bring this up at one of your club meetings. I understand that young people should be introduced to firearms as I have my sons. However, if you pay a membership to a club that has rules these rules should be followed. Otherwise you might as well go to a state range and watch some jackass in jeans,work boots, and an airsoft tactical vest rip through 1000 rounds out of his sweet AK74 and not hit one single target all the while pelting you in the back with hot brass. </div></div>

you still have nightmares from it all, huh?
wink.gif

Dang! I didn't mean to draw flames with my original post. Hey, I am all for members bringing friends and family to introduce them to our collective passion. I usually welcome it, it's just that when trying to do serious zero it was distracting and, like a said, against club rules. I will cowboy up from hereon out!

Krav, I hear ya on the CRC thing. I was a member about 7 years ago before joining the Army and during the weekdays CRC was almost always a ghost town. I remember one warm spring day shooting prone on the smallbore range and just rolling over and taking a nap in the sunshine...good times.

Oh yeah the smell of steel casings, generic Mountain Dew (I believe it was actually Dew Drop if not mistaken), and hand rolled cigarettes will haunt my dreams forever.

The reason I ask if you're from North Texas....

My brother in law from Amarillo gave me a call the sunday before you posted this. Said he finally got a chance to hit the range, but it was crazy crowded. He was itching to shoot his new Savage 300WM (with muzzle brake).

He said it seemed to disturb the people sitting on either side of him.

Got to tell you. I read this post and almost fell over.

Sure makes me happy to live in the country with a bench just off my front porch. I use tractor tires full of dirt for back stops and also have 400 acres that I can shoot as far as I want. no one to tell me what I can or cannot do. You got to love it!

Hell, Ron . . . you're so far freakin out in nowhere Y'all ain't even got any road kill. I've been through that God forsaken wilderness.

The only thing ya see out there is retarded armadillos.

Psh come to my range and get on a 1 hour waiting list to shoot 100yd.