• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun safe for my ARs

Re: Gun safe for my ARs

Any "gun safe" you buy may make you feel like your guns are protected. All they do is keep honest people honest and protect against a minor fire.

If your house burns down you will probably loose all the firearms in the safe. If a determined or intellegent thief wants in they will get it open, in under five minutes. "Gun safes" aren't really safes, they are RSC's (residential security containers).

My opinion, start looking for a used safe. Businesses that close their doors sometimes have safes that no one wants to move. If you can get a few buddies and something to haul it away you can probably get a good, UL burglary rated safe, for $500 or under. Even an old "data safe" would be better than most gun safes on the market today. I know someone who wants to get rid of a data safe for $500 right now. It measures 76x54x32 and has a two hour fire rating.

I don't mean to piss all over the safes that others have on here, just let you know what you have. Gun safes don't use hardened steel in their doors, most don't have relockers, and some can be opened with just prybars.

I had to buy a safe with a TL (tool) rating for my company a couple of years ago. It cost $2300 delivered, and keep in mind its used and only a TL-15. A new one, or one with a TL-30 rating can cost several thousand dollars. So what are you really getting when you spend $500 on a new gun safe?

Did a lot of research as well and I ended up getting a Liberty Franklin 50 series and use the collector setup. It's a big beast. Right side is reserved for the long guns/AR's and left side is for ammo stored in .50cal ammo cans(14 of them and still have a little more room for a few more) You'll be surprised at how quickly you can fill one up. If you can afford it, go bigger. I'm glad I did.

Amsec safe for over 20years, zero problems...buy the largest one you can afford.