• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gun Safe in Garage

Re: Gun Safe in Garage

M-rated is something they made up. There is no recognized M-rating in the industry, and it's promoted as resistance to firearm attack which isn't what someone uses to gain entry to a safe. That doesn't really matter anyhow as the "concrete" composite fill in safes and vaults are waaaay tougher than the steel casing which is there to prevent pry attack (since concrete's strengths are compressive strength, not tensile strength). Citysafe's Modul-X series has several nice videos of their modular composite safe panels being tested against 40mm HE, C4 charges, and RPGs, as well as 50BMG and other small arms (they make modular vaults/structures for mil/gov as well). The composites are commonly filled with carbide to defeat power tool attack. Carbide is harder than any steel in the world.

An F-rate safe simply requires 1" steel walls and a 1.5" on doors. Anything extra can be any variety of things like manganese steel, AR500 plate, or even something like MIL A-12560 class 2 rev h Amd 3 armor (which might be what Brown uses). That Chronos safe is very light compared to other F-class safes or specifically UL ratings like TL-30, or TL-30x6 or even higher. They should submit their safe for UL testing so the contents are actually insurable. I am sure it isn't true F-class(has the full 1/1.5 steel casing) given the weight, but calling it M-rated is fine because it's not a real category so its probably got less steel and makes up with some armor plate. It's also a luxury safe so if you can afford a $75,000 safe and several million dollars in watches, you probably have top notch security already for your home.

I have one in the garage as well. I live in Georgia and it doesnt get as cold. I still get some moisture in there from the change in temperatures, I believe. I just put a plug in rod dehumidifier, but havent had it very long. any other suggestions about keeping moisture out of the safe?

put a barrier like tarpaper or felt down too, a little insulation on the slab works wonders. cold transferred from cement to steel = humidity. I'm in Florida and mine stays cold and a golden rod can't keep up. I'm using regeneratable silica to boot. of course its always humid here too.

My safe has fireproofing in it. Where would you put the paper? Under the fire panels? Also, I have mine raised up about 3.5" from the floor (in case of flood as part of my garage is below grade).

my dad does custom woodwork, cabinets etc. one of his projects is basically a disguise for the safe and other concealed hiding places. bookcases with false fronts, end tables and tables with secret compartments etc. designed to keep your guns close and concealed. a thief cant steal what he cant see. my point is we market them at local gunshows etc, and every show we do at least 5 people tell us about how their safe was stolen from their garage. some were bolted down, some were not. its fine to put it in the garage, i recommend bolting to the floor and the wall. if it has to be elevated because of flooding etc, dont put it in the basement. if someone can get under it, they can easily take it.

Anybody living in the southeast i.e. Georgia, South Carolina, Florida where the humidity is 100% at most of the time in July, August, and some of September?

If you have your safe in the garage that isn't climate controlled are you having problems due to the humidity and heat?

My garage can get 90 degrees at least in the hottest part of the summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody living in the southeast i.e. Georgia, South Carolina, Florida where the humidity is 100% at most of the time in July, August, and some of September?

If you have your safe in the garage that isn't climate controlled are you having problems due to the humidity and heat?

My garage can get 90 degrees at least in the hottest part of the summer. </div></div>

I am about 30 minutes west of Atlanta. My safe is actually in the finished part of my basement, not in the garage. I need to do some work to make is climate controlled. This is the goal for the summer. I do have a problem with humidity, but I think this will be easily fixed with some heating/AC duct work. I have a humidity rod, but don't think it's going to do much good until I can keep the temperature constant. I don't know if there is much you can do, short of preventing drastic temperature change.

My first one was in the house. Kids and the next one was in the garage. Divorce and it is in a garage again.

I just bought a new safe since we out grew the last one. It is mounted in the garage like the other one was for 5 years without any problems. I live in the desert so humidity isn't much of an issue. We do have temps in the single digit in winter but I have never had an issue. Mine is also bolted down my biggest problem is my Plasma torch is 10' away. If we are not expecting to be home for a while I pull my torch handle and toss it into the safe. I would just be pissed if I came home and they used my own tools to rip my stuff. one piece of advise I would give is get the biggest best safe you can afford. You will always want something bigger and it is foolish to lock up $50,000 in guns in a $300 gun locker

I bought a used Amsec safe that is TL rated and fire rated @ 1500 degrees for 90 min. It weighs almost 5000lbs, so the garage was the only option. Two times now I've had issues with humidity and condensation. After a long cold winter, we'll get a few days where it warms up to 55-60 degrees. The concrete starts to sweat and dew forms on the dial.

I opened up the safe and there was condensation on all interior surfaces. My pistols are on the vinyl coated racks, and they all had dew on them. Needles to say I was freaking! Got them cleaned up and lubed. Other guns were all cased and were O.K.

When I bought the safe, I had a small hole drilled in on side at the bottom so I could feed a cord through it. I bought a golden rod and an external computer fan that plugs into a USB port for power. I also found an adapter that plugs into an outlet or cord, and it has 2 USB ports built into it, so the fan gets plugged into that. The Golden Rod will be on the bottom, the fan on an upper shelf. With the heat and constant breeze blowing, it should keep the moisture at bay. We'll see how well it does.
Steve

Mine is in a pole building,that in not heated on airconditioned 100% of the time. By putting a 3/4 sheet of treated plyboard as a barier helps alot. Went to Lowes and bought a dehumidifier unit for the room...no more problems!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine has always been in the garage. No worries. </div></div>

Even though you live on the gulf coast? If I put mine in the garage it would rust-time down here.............

i always worry that someone can break the safe loose from its anchors if its in an area like the garage where something as strong as a car or truck can be tied to it. Humidity isnt my fear but its dry here in ca.

Mine is in the garage and it works fine. I do like the silica beads that Cesiumsponge mentioned. Makes it easier to know when to change them out and how much moisture you are getting in your safe.