• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safe Lock question

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I currently have a Liberty safe with a Digital Key Pad. I know the digital key pads are known to go screwy every now and then.
My question is, can the normal joe citizen change out the digital key pad for the old fashion mechanical combo lock?
Im sure everyone will know where Im coming from about who you can trust these days, especially a lock smith. With the digital keypad, you can change the combo yourself and be done with it. With the mechanical lock, the combo is set either by the factory who made the lock or by the lock smith himself. Either way, he will have the combo to the safe. Its either you take everything out of your safe when the lock smith arrives or leave it all in there. Either way, Im sure hes no fool knowing what is going into a gun safe.
Looking for yall's thoughts and ideas..

Re: Gun Safe Lock question

The locks themselves generally have the same mounting footprint. Where you might run into trouble is if any sort of linkage or re-locking system is mounted directly to the lock case or lock bolt. Not an impossible problem to overcome with basic hand tools but some amount of mechanical ability is required.

Combination changing instructions and changing "key" will come with your mechanical lock. Not rocket science but it pays to go slow and pay attention to what you're doing. If you have any doubts at all about how to proceed it would be in your best interest to have a safe technician handle it for you, at least the first time. Safe and lock repairs can get spendy.

I've had my Liberty S&G digital lock for about 15 years now and have never had a problem with it. In fact, I've only changed the bateries a few times, and this safe gets a lot of use.
Not to say it could never happen, but there is a backup key that goes with the digital lock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LanceS4803</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had my Liberty S&G digital lock for about 15 years now and have never had a problem with it. In fact, I've only changed the bateries a few times, and this safe gets a lot of use.
Not to say it could never happen, but there is a backup key that goes with the digital lock.
</div></div>
Mine didnt come with a backup key and its Digital from Liberty

When I bought my safe I had a long conversation with the dealer about electronic versus mechanical locks. As with anything else, life is full of little trade-offs, but the basic jist was that, while you can wear out keypads and have electronic glitches with electronic locks, mechanical locks wear, too, and do not offer a clear advantage. Being able to easily change the combination with electronic locks is pretty nice.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to have a spare electronic lock. I never looked into what it would take to make the swap, but it would have to be at least as easy as swapping for a mechanical (the exception being if the electronic crapped out prior to the swap).

Food for thought. Good luck either way you go.

I love my electronic lock.

As mentioned, you can install the other by yourself and change the combo yourself. Call Liberty, I'm sure they sell the change kits. Hang on to the digital one, I'll bet you'll want to go back after dialing that traditional style a few times.

That depends on how the keypad and lock is mounted. Some electronic locks use a remote keypad so the keypad on the outside of the safe is physically distanced from the actual lock inside the safe, instead of being directly in-line with one another. Given that the keypad is linked to the lock by only a cable, you can theoretically put the keypad on the rear of the safe if you wanted to. This protects the exact location of the lock.

However I believe most safe manufacturers for sake of logistics will have the hole in the door such that a mechanical dial and lock system can be used interchangeably with an electronic lock and keypad system.

Having a digital lock and a low-security key to override the digital lock defeats the point of having a secure digital lock, which if UL rated is often Group 1. The keylock becomes the weak link unless you have an actual high-security key. Gun safes don't have high-security key locks. They look like this and you wouldn't enjoy adding it to your keychain:
MAUER-Locking-Systems.jpg

I see why they call that high-security.... That would be a major pain in the ass to work a pick in!