• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safe Recomendations

brianlangeliers

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just bought my first house... so naturally I need to buy a gun safe to protect the goods... I live in the Phoenix Az area. Brand recomendations? stores that sell them at reasonable prices that will deliver and install? any info will help. thanks.

Re: Gun Safe Recomendations

Get the biggest one you can afford, they fill up so fast, plus the wife starts putting crap in them, that does not help!

Keep your eyes open for sales. You'll have to balance security and fire protection against price, but I figure that once you've moved to a "real" safe (as opposed to a lockable cabinet) it is probably diminishing returns as the features improve. You will find that fire ratings are not uniformly determined, so comparisons can be difficult.

You can move and install by yourself if you pay attention - safes tend to be top heavy and so can be tricky - but professionals make it very easy because they have all the great tools. Vertical moves, like stairs, are difficult, but pvc rollers work fine for horizontal moves.

I ended up with a Cannon that has a lot of space and decent fire protection, purchased from a local dealer who was very knowledgeable and helpful and who has good sales every quarter or so.

I have ordered my 4th safe. I'm expecting delivery in the next 2 weeks. Over the years I have had several smaller ones. I have sold them all to another "gun nut". I have a pretty fair size Liberty on order through Gander Mountain. There are cheaper ways to go. But they also have a local guy that will deliver and set it up. When you get old and broke down, that means a lot.

The last one I had to rent a truck with a hydraulic tailgate to get it home and refridgerator type furniture dolly to actually get it in the house. Did I mention the other 2 guys I had to get to help muscle it around?

By all means, GET THE BIGGEST SAFE YOU CAN AFFORD AND HAVE SPACE FOR. (Those caps were intentional.) There will always be other "stuff" that you or family want to put in it. You need to be thinking about what limiting factors you will let someone else store things in it.

While we have children and grand-children who know MOST of the numbers in our life, my wife and I have agreed that she and I will be the only ones to know how to open the new safe. She will make a video of me opening it with instructions that will be left in the safety deposit box at the bank.

Just things to think about.

I agree you should get the biggest you can afford, then borrow some money and get a bigger one. Then get some big friends to help you move it, and give up on ever taking it with you. You might take a look at Zanotti safes. Especially if you want to move it. I like my Canon, I just wish I had gotten a bigger one.

I just recently purchased a 30x60 (23cu ft) Summit Teton EX safe and very happy. It's my first safe, but certainly will not be my last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b2!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why would i ever get married? what sense does that make?</div></div>

SOMEBODY has to be locked in the safe for "internal security"

Cabelas brand - made by Liberty Safes - They also have the network for delivery and setup.

+1 on getting something Bigger than you'll ever think you'll need.

You will lose some capacity if you have a scope or pistol grip on your rifles/shotguns. Depends on layout.

Zanotti Armor - made to be put together on site, and disassembled if you move. Maybe costs a little more than others, but this was my only option for getting a safe down the stairs to the basement.

Most all safes are fire resistant to around 1200 degrees for a given amount of time. None are really fire proof. Apply heat long enough, and the fiber or gypsum board inside will give up it's water vapor and the contents will char and eventually burn.

My Zanotti doesn't have any fire board in it at all. Don't want any. I'm better off with a fire sprinkler head mounted in the ceiling above it, so that if there ever is a fire, water will cascade down over it. If that isn't enough, I have bigger problems.

I got a Liberty. I need another. I will probably buy another Liberty. But there are several decent safes out there. Just make sure it is bolted to a concrete floor and you have fire and burglar alarms for the house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a Liberty. I need another. I will probably buy another Liberty. But there are several decent safes out there. Just make sure it is bolted to a concrete floor and you have fire and burglar alarms for the house.</div></div>

and desiccant bags for the rust prevention....

I bought three of the fire-resistant Liberty safes (two 20 gun and one 17) at Gander Mountain when I was a 2LT. I did not need all of the space then, but they were on sale and I had a giant moving truck for my first PCS move anyway. I was moving into my first house, so I made the investment up front to have three matching safes with the same locking systems.

In 2009, I did two DITY moves and decided it was worth the investment to buy a good dolly. At $180 it was a chunk of change, but I could write it off as moving expenses and keep it around for whenever I needed to reorganize my safe room.

The point of this narrative is that if you are old and settled, giant "50 gun" safes might be nice, but chances are, if you are under 50, you will be moving. I, for one, am not leaving a $2000 safe behind me every place I ever live, so being able to move it is key. When I put them in my house (which is not too hard, depending on the layout of the house, your physical capabilities, and the capabilities of the friends helping you) I nestle them close to one another and against other objects. In theory, someone could probably move them, but it would take a long time and involve a great deal of effort.

Having multiple safes also allows you to keep different guns in different places. There are some guns I don't needs access to all that often and some I shoot a couple times a month. Having one safe more accessible is convenient, especially if you have enough room between the safes to separate guns by type, size, regularity of use, etc.

Also, you hit the point of diminishing returns very quickly on safes. One of the fancy 50-gun models will usually cost more than several 20 gun models. Also, if both designs (50 and 20 gun) have only one door apiece, the 50-gun door will be very large and heavy, further restricting where you can effectively put it in your house.

One last thing: look hard at internal storage configurations. The 17-gun safe I have is much easier to get in and out of because it uses a dvided "U" shape rather than solid rows of gun positions. The U design is more efficient for rifles with optics and/or pistol grips, which describes the majority of my rifles and probably the great majority of the rifles on this site.

Lots of good safes out there but Liberty has the best warranty in the business.

I have a summit safe and I think it's the best bang for the buck. Holds a bunch and weights 1300 pounds empty. Nice features that come with it. Shop around and don't go cheap.

Fort Knox. It ain't cheap, but its a heck of a safe. I have never had one regret about buying mine, except that I didn't get a bigger one than I did get. They really do fill up fast.

I would also agree with not letting anyone know how to access your safe except someone you trust with your life. Only my father knows the combination to mine. Not the little lady or anyone else.

Liberty makes a really good safe for a decent price Gander Mountain has sales on them a few times a year +1 for big safe or multiple safes you will grow out of it and have a ton of extra things in it hard drives important documents. +1 for bolt to concrete floor preferably wedged into a corner or cubby of some sort.

I'll stress:

RSC (Residental Security Container) vs Real Safe.

I've never seen a Real Safe at Cabelas or Bass Pro. It has been my job to rip apart steel structures with a multitude of tools. The construction techniques used in a RSC do not impress me at all.

A real safe is "TL" rated and one big enough to hold firearms starts at about 2000-lbs.

The only RSC I would even glance at is:

American Securities BF-Series.

Take a look at the AMSEC AMVAULT for a REAL GUN SAFE.

Fort Knox RSC's are pretty but, safe? Not to a 4-inch angle grinder.

Good Luck,

AnschutzNerd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stress:

I've never seen a Real Safe at Cabelas or Bass Pro. It has been my job to rip apart steel structures with a multitude of tools. The construction techniques used in a RSC do not impress me at all.

A real safe is "TL" rated and one big enough to hold firearms starts at about 2000-lbs.

Good Luck,

AnschutzNerd </div></div>
As far as I know every safe or security system can be breached.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltactionfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I know every safe or security system can be breached. </div></div>

Point being: Do your homework before buying a RSC. A Real Safe can often be had for the same money. In buying a Safe you are buying peace of mind. Get your money's worth as with time and knowledge any device can be defeated but, some far easier than you think.

I recently bought a Fat Boy Jr. It is a Liberty safe. I prefer a manual combination over a digital. It is not the best safe. But for the money, it was the best buy I could find. I got it for $900 plus tax. It weighs about 800 lbs. And my brother and I unloaded it and moved it into the house. I bought mine from a farm and ranch store called Atwoods. The safe normally sells for $999 but the have 10% off pretty often. God luck chosing what is right for you.

I have an American Security with the factory door organizer which costs a little extra, but to me well worth the money. Like others have said get the biggest safe possible.

There is an Invincible at CS Tactical. After Mike Cecil showed me how it was constructed, I would not buy anything else.

I did investigate most of the other brands available, but the Invincible was much better. You can buy a door assembly or the entire safe.

Personally I like the idea of a vault, as it can be made large enough to put other items inside as well. When I go on vacation, I worry about by high end bicycles as much as my rifles.

I would surf Craigslist and see what comes up. I often see safes selling for 1/2 the retail price used.

Also, no matter what size you get be sure to SECURE the safe to the floor and walls. 3/4" Carriage bolts with 1/4"x2"x2" steel plates as washers and the nut inside the safe. If the safe can fit through a standard 30" door then it can be taken no matter how heavy. I've seen a safe that weighed well over 1000lbs walk-off...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltactionfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stress:

Good Luck,

As far as I know every safe or security system can be breached.</div></div>

Anything can be breached with the right tools. That doesn't mean one shouldn't try to mitigate the risk though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stress:

Good Luck,

My research over the years has confirmed this as well. However, we can go down that rabbit hole a long way. Most BGs aren't equipped with the appropriate tools to get a locked door open let alone a safe of any type. However, as you said, a REAL safe can be had for similar money. In that respect, it would foolish to choose the lesser product for the same $.

I prefer cages, such as these:

http://www.secureit-usa.com/secure-weapons.asp

http://www.b-esales.com/weapons_storage.htm

in a secure room behind a secure door.

If for nothing else, purchase something that protects your valuables against fire.

I got one a Cannon EX20 from costco in January which turned out to be a great safe. Especially for $600. They even deliver it for free. I would highly recommend checking out their offerings. Most are hard if not impossible to beat.

Here's a few:
http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx...&lang=en-US

That wide body for $800 is looking like a pretty damn good deal.
Worse case scenario and you grow out of it... then it just becomes an ammo safe and you buy a bigger one for the guns.
smile.gif

As mentioned already get the biggest one you can afford. I just helped a friend move his Liberty Fatboy 64 into his apartment; it was heavy (880lbs) but nothing that 4 guys can't handle. Keep your eye out for deals and make sure to get something fireproof. I recently got my Stack On Elite 21 gun safe for $500 on clearance.

The wide body canon safes from costco will do unless your dealing with a real pro or you have nobody around to hear someone attacking your safe. My only worry with these safes is the electronic lock. I'm a locksmith and those are the ones we replace(electronic ones in general). Get a good quality dial type combo lock installed by a locksmith. Sargeant&greanleaf is a well respected brand.
Good luck in your search!

Liberty Fatboy is great, but i need a second or even a third, business and personal, they are great, couldnt be happier. great product, great price and life time warrenty.

After researching matters for quite a while, we bought a Liberty safe (Lincoln Model almost 900 lbs) from Gander Mountain when they were having a sale, 2 years ago. I'm glad I have it and the peace of mind it has provided me with is priceless. My only regret is that I did not get a big enough safe. What ever you decide to select make certain that you buy MUCH LARGER than you think you will need because you will end up using every bit of space. All in all, I'm satisfied with the Liberty safe. I nearly forgot to add, stay away from the electronic lock, go with a manual dial. When I looked into things I discovered that most warranty work/problems on these safes revolved around the electronic locks/keypads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A real safe is "TL" rated and one big enough to hold firearms starts at about 2000-lbs.
Take a look at the AMSEC AMVAULT for a REAL GUN SAFE.</div></div>

Good advice here - most gun safes are RSC's full of wall board for fire protection.

I went with an AMSEC 6636 - fiber cement filled instead of dry wall making it probably the toughest RSC on the market. In my opinion, Liberty, Ft. Knox, Canon are all roughly equivalent competing on finish and warranty. I say that having had a Liberty as my first safe before replacing it with the Amsec.

Their 'premium door organizer' is also very nice to squeeze out some more space in the safe too.
http://www.deansafe.com/amg-bf-6040.html

Good clip on how easily a pair of pry bars can get into an RSC:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBhOjWHbD6M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBhOjWHbD6M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good clip on how easily a pair of pry bars can get into an RSC:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBhOjWHbD6M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBhOjWHbD6M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

It took them over a minute? Looks like somebody needs to workout prior to shooting a video... lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good clip on how easily a pair of pry bars can get into an RSC:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBhOjWHbD6M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBhOjWHbD6M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I've seen that before and it definitely gives you something to think about but most safes I've seen inside homes, flipping it on it's back would be out of the question due to it's location and orientation.

I bought a liberty - these videos are what was part of my final selection reasoning.

This is a link to part 1 of a multi-part series where Liberty put $1000 in a safe and said go get it.... the first few parts are weak but they get REALLY aggressive. In episode 6 they use dynamite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXa9THD3b6c

I have a fort knox, great safe wasnt cheap.. I am military and I have move that beast 4 times!! (it tips the scales at 1400+ pounds) and I hate to say it, it is too small now.. SO I totally agree buy the biggest one you can afford but you have to make sure you are able to move it if have too (or a company can move it for you).
If I ever get around to building a house I am just adding a room vault! Nice vault door, fire proof the room and so forth... and hopefully I wont run out of room! LOL
Good luck with finding what your looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a liberty - these videos are what was part of my final selection reasoning.

This is a link to part 1 of a multi-part series where Liberty put $1000 in a safe and said go get it.... the first few parts are weak but they get REALLY aggressive. In episode 6 they use dynamite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXa9THD3b6c
</div></div>

Keep in mind that is their top of the line Liberty Presidential model that costs almost $4000 for a 30x60 safe. There is a reason why they didn't pick a Centurion of Franklin model for that torture test.

You buy a lot more safe when going from $1200 to $4000 as that video shows.

Fire proof, burglar proof, bullet proof...no such thing.

When you buy a safe/vault/vault door you're buying time. More money you spend (generally) the more time you buy.

After a lot of research, I chose Sturdy Gun Safe. 100% made in USA. Very reasonable on cost. Not as shiny as some, but better protection than most. Good options for fire protection too.

www.sturdysafe.com

There was a guide I read on 6mmbr.com a while ago. It seemed to have good information and explained some things I didn't know about. Also, it opened my eyes about things I never thought about. I've always thought 6mmBR to have reliable and important information, especially their technical articles. Either if the article doesn't appeal to you there is a list of manufacturers they recommend at the bottom of the page.

6mmBR Gun Safe Buyers' Guide