• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gun Safe Recomendations

Re: Gun Safe Recomendations

I recently bought an AMSEC BF series off Craigslist....this thing is a tank in comparison to my other safe. Very impressed with the build quality. My next safe will be another (bigger) AMSEC BF.

I own a Steelwater 39 gun safe and am very happy with it.I shopped around for a while and this was the best safe for the money.It had more locking bolts,heavier locking bolts ,better steel,etc.Check them out at steelwatergunsafe.com

Several manufacturers I researched offer different product lines. Delivery and setup are two things to consider. I ended up with a cannon that has a higher rating (better insulation, stronger structure and more bolts.
A nice thing the installer mentioned to us is that any paperwork that is in the save should be placed in a plastic bag and folded (or zip-lock sealed). In a fire the insulation emits chemicals and the plastic protects the paper from damage.

Sorry for bumping an oldish thread. Don't know if the OP already purchased his safe. But I second the AMSEC (American Security) BF series safe. Gloss finish paint is optional so you don't have to pay for a pretty safe if you don't want to. My local dealer sells the BF6030 with the door organizer for $1899 (which I highly recommend because it saves so much precious floor space inside the safe and it's so easy to organize and find things) or $1799 w/o. The 59.25" x 30" x 29" BF6030 weighs 976 lbs. This thing is build like a tank! I should paint mine tan and name it M1 Abrams. :p

BF6032LEPW_wPDO.jpg

Having worked with die grinders/angle grinders/and cut off wheels a few times in my life, I can vouch for the difficulty of trying to cut through plate steel. Especially when it's practically laminated with some other material, in this case, a poured in hard fill. I saw one of their cut-away display samples and the material feels almost like concrete. Also, with the body being 2" thick (door being 4.75" thick), the depth alone will make for a very difficult and frustrating cutting experience, not to mention that the outside diameter has to be even larger for any tool to fit. The door, having 1/2" plate steel, is probably never gonna get attacked with a grinder unless the thief has more time than brains. BTW, cutting plate steel with an angle grinder is NOT an easy thing to do. It takes quite a bit of time just to go through 1" of 10 gauge steel. You're basically crawling at snail speeds if your lucky.

Also, the gap between the door and the body is so tight that I can't even imagine a small pry bar fitting in between to start for a larger pry bar.

It's rated for 90 minutes in a fire and has expanding Palusol door seals. And one minor detail that I like is that the bolts stay in the open position when unlocked so that you don't slam it into the body by accident (unlike in that picture).

Made in the USA with an excellent warranty. Someone tries to break in and they'll repair or replace it for you. Your house catches on fire, they'll repair or replace it for you. Even flood damage is covered. Can't go wrong.

I can fit three times the number of guns into my Pendleton safe than I was able to fit into my Liberty safe. Plus it's well-lit, and access to everything is much easier. Of course it also cost at least three times as much, but since I have limited space now it's just what the doctor ordered! Here it is in a corner, flanked by shelves:

Pendleton_small.jpg

I really liked the Pendleton but I just couldn't justify the cost of it for the convenience.

I bought a Steelwater. Will hold up to 45 long guns, and it's 9 gauge steel all around. 1080 pounds. $1745 shipped.

I have been researching safes for 6 months. What I found was that Sturdy and AMSEC were very nice, however for a little more money I got a Fort Knox. With the 3/8 plate steel door upgrade and ¼ plate steel body and 4 pieces of 10 gauge laminated together as the liner 1/2 inch liner. I could not do this with any other safe I found. It was less than the Graffunder I was looking at. I bet no thief will get through this before my alarm summons the police.

I bought a Liberty and I like it a lot. However, brand recommendations aren't worth much. I think in any brand they have a wide selection from cheap and ineffective to expensive and very effective. Sure, bad guys probably don't bring angle grinders along with them, but that still means that whatever safe you get should be able to defeat whatever tools you keep nearby in the garage.
wink.gif

I also got an electronic lock. I'm not sure how I feel about it. There are a few advantages. For example, I can change the combination easily. I can have multiple and temporary combinations, and therefore revokable combinations. I can open the safe VERY quickly. I can also open it by feel <span style="font-weight: bold">in the dark</span>. Can you open yours in the dark with the power out? Do you reliably keep a flashlight nearby?

The drawback to the electronic lock is reliability. There are many times it won't open on the first try, even when I'm 100% certain I got the combo right. If it doesn't open on the first try, it always opens on the second try, but that's still a little scary. Also, an EMP probably means your guns just got permanently locked inside.

Don't skimp on your safe. Get the biggest , heaviest one you can afford.
I bought heritage years back. I was lucky at the time they ran a few test (heavy) safes, mine is 2300 pounds empty. I think now the heaviest they make is 1850

Another poster had it right ( it only buy's you time) the right person will get in there given enough time.

Not saying I do but Some people keep a good little supply of black powder in there for the bad guy who want's to use a torch or grinder. Defeats the purpose of protecting your gun's but at least the low life that was trying to get them will be removed from the planet. Even if you don't. Post a little sign on your safe that say's Warning black powder inside. Bad guy might think twice before lighting up the torch.

As far as the dial I'm old school and like the dial. But I don't need to get in there that quick because I always have a gun outside the safe if I need it.

Contact Safe City in Mesa Arizona. The couple that own the business are wonderful to work with. He will walk you through the variables in a way that you will understand.

He has many brands of safes that are sectioned so you can actually see what you get for your money.

He is an authorized Fort Knox representative. He will make you a smokin' deal. He will deliver and install.

Top notch people with best products available. You can even ask him about Sturdy Safes and he'll give you an unbiased explanation of features.

You will not be disappointed.

http://www.azsafecityinc.com/gALLERY.html

I like Superior safes, they have very good fire rating and are pretty damn heavy considering their size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can fit three times the number of guns into my Pendleton safe than I was able to fit into my Liberty safe. Plus it's well-lit, and access to everything is much easier. Of course it also cost at least three times as much, but since I have limited space now it's just what the doctor ordered! Here it is in a corner, flanked by shelves:

Pendleton_small.jpg
</div></div>

Wow, I have never seen a safe like that. That is a neat idea, what was the MSRP on that, if you don't mind me asking?

+1 for sturdy safe manufacturing, from what Ive seen, watched and read they are one of the best you can buy but are quite pricey. Check out the site before purchasing any other company
www.sturdysafe.com

Glad I searched before I posted anything, this thread is great. Thanks for the information everyone!

Just ordered a Liberty Fatboy Jr - found it at Lowes of all places for $1097 plus another 475 for delivery - seemed to be a solid price for a decent safe. Looks like it gets here in a week so I'll see how it looks then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">safes.....................Gods way of telling you you got too many guns</div></div>

Is there such a thing as too many guns????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UserM4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for bumping an oldish thread. Don't know if the OP already purchased his safe. But I second the AMSEC (American Security) BF series safe. Gloss finish paint is optional so you don't have to pay for a pretty safe if you don't want to. My local dealer sells the BF6030 with the door organizer for $1899 (which I highly recommend because it saves so much precious floor space inside the safe and it's so easy to organize and find things) or $1799 w/o. The 59.25" x 30" x 29" BF6030 weighs 976 lbs. This thing is build like a tank! I should paint mine tan and name it M1 Abrams. :p

BF6032LEPW_wPDO.jpg

Having worked with die grinders/angle grinders/and cut off wheels a few times in my life, I can vouch for the difficulty of trying to cut through plate steel. Especially when it's practically laminated with some other material, in this case, a poured in hard fill. I saw one of their cut-away display samples and the material feels almost like concrete. Also, with the body being 2" thick (door being 4.75" thick), the depth alone will make for a very difficult and frustrating cutting experience, not to mention that the outside diameter has to be even larger for any tool to fit. The door, having 1/2" plate steel, is probably never gonna get attacked with a grinder unless the thief has more time than brains. BTW, cutting plate steel with an angle grinder is NOT an easy thing to do. It takes quite a bit of time just to go through 1" of 10 gauge steel. You're basically crawling at snail speeds if your lucky.

Also, the gap between the door and the body is so tight that I can't even imagine a small pry bar fitting in between to start for a larger pry bar.

It's rated for 90 minutes in a fire and has expanding Palusol door seals. And one minor detail that I like is that the bolts stay in the open position when unlocked so that you don't slam it into the body by accident (unlike in that picture).

Made in the USA with an excellent warranty. Someone tries to break in and they'll repair or replace it for you. Your house catches on fire, they'll repair or replace it for you. Even flood damage is covered. Can't go wrong.

</div></div>

I have an AMSEC BF 6030 and am very happy with it. Great value and protection for the money.

Eric

I want to be helpful here, so I'll pass on an important rule. One of a handful of rules, many of which have been mentioned in this thread.

Do not use electronic locks.

I just bought this one last week.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-safe-model-6028-19-44-cu-ft--1015639

Very pleased with it. We were able to get it into the basement without tearing anything up too!

My plan is to get 3 or 4 of these smaller safes. This is unless i can get a walk-in built some day. But anyway, i figure I'll keep ammo, reloading, and my muzzle-loading supplies in one and guns in the rest. So that said, if someone wants in bad enough they will get it. But how long will it take them is the real key. Now multiply that by 3 or 4 times longer and add in a nasty surprise if they're using a cutting torch, that should keep your collection safe. Just my security plan.

Also as far as resistance goes consider this, Say for instance your safe is in a basement, in the corner, against 2 concrete walls and you keep the immediate area around the safe clear, there's nothing that's going be right next to the safe to burn hot enough long enough in order for it to burn through before the Fire Department can get it put out or under control. Your house will have to collapse all around it in order for that to happen.