• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safes

THRASHER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
I am in the market for a new gun safe. I am leaning towards a Fort Knox Vault particularly the Titan, but open to suggestions. I want security, storage, fire protection.....all that good stuff.
So please post up and include pics. I would like to see everyone's safe so I can make an educated purchase. Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Gun Safes

I dont know how much you are willing to spend, but it seems high end if your "leaning towards Fort Knox". Most are worried about price and that is what regulates most decisions. I only had $3k so I went with Browning Prestige 27 and am extremely happy. There website has pics and info. The only problem for me was trying to figure out where and how much LED lighting to put for the configuration I decided on.

I went with a Browning. It has plenty of room, for now. Delivery was free from here...

http://www.gunsafes.com/

My advice would be to go bigger than you think you need. Having a bunch of extra space is cool, but running out of room and wishing you'd bought a larger safe is not cool.

i have a fort knox and a winchester they are both great.my advice is buy the biggest you can because it will get full,

After all my reserch...I went with a Sturdy Safe.
The fire protection is top notch for an RSC. It's designed for function, not for fashion. I found a nice LED set-up at the local funshow and it looks great! Good luck with your search
grin.gif

Also remember when they say it holds a certain amount of guns, it never holds that many so always buy bigger......aaaaaaaaannndd the fact that if you have a wife part of it becomes hers which all of a sudden you have an AR-15 crammed next to her jewelry and a picture album of her goddamn mother shoving cake in her fat face on her 65th birthday.

Definitely get the biggest and heaviest you can afford. If you can get one big enough to put the actual mother in law in, it's a win.

This is what you need:

DSC05618.JPG

About $10k installed and 6k pounds worth of steel and concrete. Remember most "gun safes" are just formed sheet metal and drywall. Real safes are letter rated and start at 1/4 walls and 1/2 doors. Most of the Residential Security Containers (RSCs) will work for most people, but are not true safes in any sense of the word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also remember when they say it holds a certain amount of guns, it never holds that many so always buy bigger......aaaaaaaaannndd the fact that if you have a wife part of it becomes hers which all of a sudden you have an AR-15 crammed next to her jewelry and a picture album of her goddamn mother shoving cake in her fat face on her 65th birthday. </div></div>

Haha!!! +1

Like krecon, I went the large double door filled with concrete route. Between the safe purchase and installation I was into it for over $10,000. Plus I had to remove my slider door and took the opportunity to re-frame things so I could standard sized french doors. More $$$. The install took professionals 9 hours to accomplish. It was a long day.

The safe weighs over 5000lbs. The weight of the safe and the forklift cracked my driveway.

But I'd do it all over again.

Look at Brown Safes, they make nice stuff. You can save some money by looking at their commercial line, same safes without the gloss paint, leather trim, lighting, etc. Locally, the best I could find was Amsec and Graffunder, both very nice but did not have the capacity I wanted...and Graffunder was a lot more money.

I'll echo what a few others have suggested, Sturdy Safes. For me, the website looks a little cheesy, but if you call and chat with the folks there, they are good people with a great product. They are building these safes right here in the states and are a family run business.

I went with SteelwaterGunsafes , and I'm very happy with it aside from the fact I got the 39 gun safe and it is full now.I agree with some of the others get the biggest one you can afford.Steelwater safes are reasonably priced and heavier built than some of the more popular safes.

Went with a Pendleton King Series because it fit through the door, made the turn down the basement steps, and fit in the corner. I especially like the accessibility, nothing gets buried in the back.

I found THIS video funny and interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No....

Start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

</div></div>

He does a good job. A lot of uniformed safe buyers will open a door and see how thick it is - usually several inches and think it's a solid door. What they fail to realize is that it's usually just 11 or 12 guage steel, formed over a couple times, with drywall stacked in.

I am starting to think buying a safe is very confusing and discouraging.

Don't think that man, just remember its a long term investment and with gun safes you most definitely get what you pay for.

Just do alot of resource. Unfornantly the more i did the more expensive and larger it started to get. im also 100% for buying 2 sizes larger than you think you need as long as you get it to fit. you can downgrade the steel thickness if you are going to have it hidden and in a tight spot. The more research i did the more i started leaning toward at least 50" wide and 7ga.

Anybody have a couple pics of their Graffunder or Sturdy safes?? Or a FT. Knox Titan?

thrasher, pictures will be useless to you. A knowlegeable person could not tell you much from pictures about the core construction.

But how lucky are you? You , the person that actually asked what to do do BEFORE they bought? You are incredibly lucky.

Two call for you to make, make them both:

Call this number: 888 242 8933 and ask for Kurt.

Then....

Call this number: 800-821-5216 and ask for Jon.

Then you will know more than the vast majority of the folks owning safes.

RollingThunder51, thanks for the info. I will make those calls this week.

Hang in there...I spent months researching safes, it paid off, now I know exactly what I bought and the level of protection I have.
Consider this,
Once you decide the level of protection you want in a safe, buy two smaller safes from the same line rather than one big one. I suggest 72 inch tall safes.
By doing this you increase the time it takes a thief to get ALL your stuff by 100%.
Split your valuables between them, If one gets breeched, they only get half of your stuff.
BOLT THEM TO THE FOUNDATION!
Install them side by side to limit the exterior wall exposure.

+2 for Sturdy gun safes. The safe in a safe is a game changer! Also like Visalia safes, very legit. Check out Visalia "HIS and Hers"

39 gun "Collector" from Patriot Safes. The 2hour LEO special for $2500 ( I posted a link but it didn't turn out right sorry)

I cannot speak highly enough about this safe. You will not find something this heavy with 2 hour fire protection for twice the price! I wasn't too sure on the lock at first but for $2k savings I rolled the dice. I love this safe! Whatever you choose, don't get something cheap that any Tom dick and Harry can wheel out on a dolly. Get at least 90 min protection. If you have cash and documents, go for the 120min. The safe is beautiful. I have it in my front room next to my tv, and my wife even thinks it looks good in there.

I took about 6 weeks researching safes and this is the holy grail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikeltee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[url=Http://www.patriotsafe.com/Up-to-39-Gun-Safes_c_4.html][url=Http://www.patriotsafe.com/Up-to-39-Gun-Safes_c_4.html]Http://www.patriotsafe.com/Up-to-39-Gun-Safes_c_4.html[/url][/url]

I cannot speak highly enough about this safe. You will not find something this heavy with 2 hour fire protection for twice the price! I wasn't too sure on the lock at first but for $2k savings I rolled the dice. I love this safe! Whatever you choose, don't get something cheap that any Tom dick and Harry can wheel out on a dolly. Get at least 90 min protection. If you have cash and documents, go for the 120min. The safe is beautiful. I have it in my front room next to my tv, and my wife even thinks it looks good in there. </div></div>

No offense but I've never heard so much negativity towards a safe company as I have patriot. My FFL has one and said the electronic lock has been replaced numerous times. Several locksmiths that deal in safes have told me the $500 canon's at tractor supply are better safes. I hope you have better luck with yours though.

Had mine for 2 years. I get in it multiple times a day. No trouble at all.I have never read any bad reviews either. I am sorry your friend has had trouble.

You aren't offending me bro. I have no affiliation with them. I guess I do kind of stake my like on it though. Your FFL should post his side of the story online so others can learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fire4fx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After all my reserch...I went with a Sturdy Safe.
The fire protection is top notch for an RSC. It's designed for function, not for fashion. I found a nice LED set-up at the local funshow and it looks great! Good luck with your search
grin.gif
</div></div>

Can you post or email me a pic of your Sturdy safe?

"+2 for Sturdy gun safes. The safe in a safe is a game changer! Also like Visalia safes, very legit. Check out Visalia "HIS and Hers"

I checked out both the Sturdy and Visalia websites. I def like the Sturdy from the research I have done. Anymore info on Visalia?? Anyone have experience with them?

I have a Visalia and it has everything I wanted and nothing I didn't... 1/4 inch Door! 7G PLUS 12G body.

I didn't need glossy paint, deluxe graphics, or gold colored locking bolts. I didn't want to spend 30 minutes on a manufactures web site looking for the steel content in the safe I wanted only to realize...it's not listed. No smoke, BS or fancy advertising.

Visalia lists the steel content of the walls, (inner and outer) and doors on the web. Dollar for Dollar, it is a great value. I am not affiliated with them, I just like the product.
The Baby safe would be an awesome addition to a visalia, as sometimes you want to keep some things secure from....well, everybody, even if they have the combo to the big door.
If you call them, you won't get a slick salesman on the phone, you will get someone who knows they make a good product and wants to help you make an informed decision.
Amsec is also a legit player in this level of security. I highly recommend you get a 72 inch model which ever you choose, way more room with long guns plus shelves above.