• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safes

jawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
TX
I looked on the search engine and found some older posts, but I want to hear whats good today. I have a limit of $1500, I need it to be 60" or 72" tall x XX wide x 24" deep. Maybe a 24 gun capacity, but shelving is a must as well, as I will need to throw my other important shit in there too.

I was also wondering if there is a safe manufacturer that produces safes to look like a piece of furniture, say an Armoire maybe... Probably be a little more expensive I know, but it would be worth it to me.

Re: Gun Safes

I have a Patriot "Collector" size safe and would highly recommend them. Patriot is one of the few companies that still use high-quality 10ga steel. Most of the budget line safes (those from cabela's, bass pro, lowes, home depot, sam's, wally world, etc...) will be 16ga at best. Patriot is very reasonable on shipping also and they look nice.

Take all of the fire proofing claims with a grain of salt though as most of the time it is nothing more than concrete backer board in the walls of the safe (this applies to all safe companies).

The best safes cost a lot. I'd buy the biggest safe I could find within the budget with an electronic keypad. <without a keypad getting into a safe is a pain in the butt.

If you can get pistol pegs on the door do that, they increase the storage capacity.

30 gun safes might be good for 15 guns. Usually they rate terribly optimistically so a 15 gun safe might fit 4 rifles. (tons of barrel nooks, but with stocks and scopes the rifles just don't fit).

If you see them in person they look big, but the door is 5" thick and takes up 1/4the space in many of the smaller safes. So keep that in mind.

i have a patriot 50 gun safe love it. got it for about a grand. make sure whatever u get has an outlet for a golden rod..silly Georgia humidity trying to rust my babies...Man i miss AZ.

I found Sturdy Safe to be the best value for me. 7 ga body, 5/16 door, no cold welds, fireproofing that actually may work. They have one that is 60H x 27W x 23D at around $1500 w/o fireproofing. They have an interesting writeup on fireproofing, testing, etc on their site.

They are low on bling but very robust. And Made in America.

Sturdy Safes

Draig has it right - give Sturdy a call and see what they can do for you/price.

a friends Patriot is pretty nice, Champions are not bad but less ga. steel.

Sturdy gives you alot of bang for your buck. I had them build me a custom sized one, and I am very pleased with it.

I'd buy a Sturdy in a heartbeat except that they ship directly from the factory to your location. I need to buy from a location/company that will deliver and then get it in the house.

Probably the most important thing when buying a safe is to make sure you get the absolute biggest you can afford - you will eventually fill it up and still wish you had bought a bigger one.

My requirements were also 10ga steel or better, both Patriot and Sturdy meet this requirement. I have heard really good things about sturdy, but ended up going with Patriot because of price and size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd buy the biggest safe I could find within the budget with an electronic keypad. <without a keypad getting into a safe is a pain in the butt.
</div></div>
Get the largest safe you possibly can. You will outgrow it. A friend bought one stating "I'll never fill that". He has had to buy two more - still didn't learn . . .

Kevin

if location and or moving are a consideration then I highly recommend Zanotti safes. Build quality is excellent and being able to move it easily and put it together in a location many safes can not go was a big plus for me.

I like the idea buy big. But unless you have it in the garage or walk out basement. It could be a huge pain in the ass. I would have bought a larger safe but my walk out basement door and the stairs to my basement won't allow it. Plus if you buy a huge safe and deceide to move. Better have some friends that really like you. Measure first see what will fit.

Tractor Supply Co. usually have some decent safes at a good price. This is $1000 at my local store: Cannon Gun Safe

It's not top of the line, but looks like a good deal.

Agree with everyone that says SturdySafe. They use 7 or 8gauge steel and they built like fucking tanks. I am very anal when it comes to these things and when i was buying i safe i looked at all the big names and their features and nothing could match the SturdySafes.

I've moved my 1200lb safe a couple of times. It's no picnic but it's also a lot easier than you may think once you get the right tricks down. One man and his small teenage boy put it in a back bedroom in 10 minutes when it was new. Lesson: bolt it to the wall and lag it into the slab if possible.

My 20+ years in LE taught me that the vast majority of home burglaries are the 'smash and grab' variety. Anything that slows them down and takes up time is a plus. Even a cheap safe will stop most of them, and even the best safe won't stop a pro.

go to the next gun show, you can see them there, but i have owned and still own the american made american security or amsec safe great safe long fire protection many shelving options great pricing

FYI, I called Zanotti when I was looking for a safe to fit into a hall closet this spring and they said they were 14+ months out.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11621869&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vb=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

Buy buy buy!! lifetime warranty, free curbside delivery. I bought the smaller version, wish I waited for this puppy.

I recently purchased a Liberty Fatboy Jr for $900. Its advertised as a 48 gun safe buts thats without the shevles and even then 48 is a stretch. For the protection I require it fits the bill but there are much better safes out there (for more money that is). Only problem is that it sticks out like a sore thumb in our family room, but that was the only spot for it.
Fatboy Jr