• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Shops Houston, TX

calsh

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2007
Central Coast
Just moved to Houston, TX and wondering if anyone could suggest some good gun shops in the area.
Thanks

Re: Gun Shops Houston, TX

There are several Carters Country stores around Houston. The on over in Spring has a range, just 100yds though. Hope this helps a little

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trailgomer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Collector's Firearms in SW Houston. They have a pretty good website but go visit the store! </div></div>

And be prepared to choke on their prices... Pruitt's Gun Shop on the northwest side, Class 3 Weapons, & SOG Armory are all located here... American Shooting Center has a range out to 600 yards & there is a 1000 yard range located down Hwy 288 past Pearland.

Also Republic Arms near Oak Forest just north of the 610 North Loop. They are a class 3 dealer that sells suppressors as well.

I've heard good things about selection and price at Tomball Pawn on (NW side 249@2920), haven't been yet though.

I've been into collectors firearms (WSW side Richmond@Fondren) and they have the biggest selection of any gun store I've ever been to, but they are on the high side with their prices. I bought a USP 45 there and was able to talk them down about $150 I think.

I do transfers with Jimm Pruett's but probably only because they're easy for me to get to on the way home. They have some stuff, priced too high for me. Jimm Pruett himself comes off as arrogant to me, his wife Joy who handles the transfers is very nice though, the rest of the staff is ok, Carl (the antique guy) is funny.

That's about all I got, hope it's been helpful.

If you want the best deal in Tx go to Tomball Pawn,if they dont have it theyll order it with no deposit.ammo is cheaper there too.Acogs,Eotechs,Leica,Swaro,Zeiss,Leupold,Nikon,Surefire,streamlight,Bushmaster,RRA,SW,Glock,Springfield,Kimber,Colt,Taurus,Berreta,Remington,Fn,CenturyArms,so on so on.About $200 cheaper than carters on Kimbers,Glocks cost $475 new.

Depends on what you're looking for. Tomball Pawn always has good prices, nice people, $25 transfers. I make all my local black rifle purchases at Texas Tactical Gear, their store is off I-45 south of the Tollway, and they are at every gunshow. Pruett's is OK too for black rifle stuff. I only buy small parts and cleaning stuff at Carter's, they have the highest prices and surly service. The Texas home town forum on ar15.com is rife with stories about Carter's. Plus Mr. Carter tried to kill gunshows here in Houston in an attempt to kill the competition. I'll admit I didn't know better in the beginning and bought a Glock 17 for about $75 more than the going price locally there, and friend bought a S&W 442 and paid about $100 more than what Academy, the local big box sporting goods chain, charges. BTW, if Academy has what you want their prices can't be beat.

I'm a member of Bayou Rifles; as mentioned, they have a 1000 yard range. Don't like to shoot anywhere else, all are expensive and/or have ridiculous policies. Carter's range will even charge you extra to shoot ARs.

carters country like what has been said before....also there is carrols in wharton....if you are a police officer you cant beat their prices and service...

bench

Tomball Pawn, hands down. Don't always have the best selection of stuff but they can get anything and will do so at some of the best prices you'll see. I miss it a lot. GREAT customer service.

Carter's Country? Not too bad but would rather not deal there if I ever moved back. High prices on almost everything. Still, they have a good selection at their various locations.

Collector's is nice. They have a good website. High prices on most things but you can almost always find a deal of some sort and used gun prices are often very fair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Mayo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tomball Pawn, hands down. Don't always have the best selection of stuff but they can get anything and will do so at some of the best prices you'll see. I miss it a lot. GREAT customer service.
</div></div>

My father and his boss always get their firearms from Tomball Pawn. 9 times out of 10 they don't have what they want in stock, but they can get it(quickly) at a decent price.

+1 for Carrols. I have purchased several rifles there and the service is awesome. Selectio n is also very good.

Also, a little further down 59 is R&M. The have a great selection of reloading stuff (powders and primers). They even have a good selection of guns. Right now they have an AR-30 and a TRG42 in stock. Not very many places keep that kind of merchandise.

There is also Mr Money pawn where they sell suppresors. All brands.

I love the country life. We even have a really nice range here in town I am a member of and on the boaed of. Pistol and rifle to 300. Kind of a honor system and annual dues are $65.

Another +1 for Tomball Pawn. Everyone else in the area is really overpriced, especially Carter's Country and Collectors.

Thanks everyone, this really helps. Moving from CA and one thing we cannot have are AR type rifles so now I can explore the fun of acquiring one in TX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasheed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trailgomer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Collector's Firearms in SW Houston. They have a pretty good website but go visit the store! </div></div>

And be prepared to choke on their prices... Pruitt's Gun Shop on the northwest side, Class 3 Weapons, & SOG Armory are all located here... American Shooting Center has a range out to 600 yards & there is a 1000 yard range located down Hwy 288 past Pearland. </div></div>

CRAZY prices and the WORST customer service.... nobody waits on you unless you look like a buyer, I've been in retail for the last 13 years and still don't know what a buyer looks like but they think they know.

If you know what you want, give Talon Arms a call. While they do not have a retail showroom, they are in Houston and can source what you need and are Class III. If you are coming from Calif you might as well jump in both feet and get a SBR with silencer! Also, we have good sized gun shows once every couple of months and there are stacks upon stacks of ARs for sale.

Pruett's is a joke. Bunch of ninja shit there nothing but overpriced crap! I have a hard time taking anyone there seriously. + 1 for Tomball pawn.

Michael T

I just buy everything online. ALL the gun stores are grossly overpriced in Houston. Tomball Pawn is too far away from my house.

Even if you don't buy anything, do yourself a favor and visit Collectors Firearms, on Fondren street. I purchased my very first firearm (blackpowder model 1851 Colt reproduction) in 1978. I was fifteen. It is still the most impressive gun store I have ever visited.

If you are up on the North side of town try SPRING, GUNS AND AMMO 4409 Spring Cypress. Opened up late last year and is in the process of building an indoor range.

I suppose you should give us an idea what side of Houston you'll be moving into. It's rather large and traffic makes it a beast to travel from one side to the other
laugh.gif

South Side down I-45 is ProDefense ( also carries LE uniform and gear ) and The Arms Room in League City ( off of FM 518 ) I've tried to find Texas Tactical Gear but have never been able to physically locate the damn place lol. I know they are there as I've run into them at the gun show, but be damned if I can find em. All are Class III I believe and can do SBR and Suppressors.

Bayou rifles does have probably the only 1000yd range in the area, but they do not allow the big guns to come and play ( .338 LM, .408 Chey-Tac and my favorite sitting in the safe, the .50 BMG ) if they did, I would be a member tomorrow
laugh.gif

The only place that does allow them with semi-long distance shooting would be American Shooting Centers off the West side near Westheimer and Hwy-6 I think.

Texas City has a 100 yd rifle range open to the public. It is also where T's Guns and Ammo calls home. Great place to pick up reloading components including primers and powder at reasonable prices.

PSC in Friendswood / Alvin / Pearland ( varies on who you ask ) is a private range that goes out to 300yds I believe. No .408 or .50 BMG though ( any rifle producing over 5000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle to be precise about it )

I've had good luck with Tomball Pawn, too. Take a look at Texas Gun Runner (http://www.texasgunrunner.net/) in Montgomery; the owner is a real nice guy and the drive is well worth it if you want to see a bit of the old Texas.

A big +1 for Collectors Firearms.

Like CavSoldier3ACR said, even if you don't buy anything,
you'll see things there that you won't see anywhere else.

They will pay a good price for firearms they buy from you.

I bought a S&W PC 500 @ Collectors Firearms a couple of years ago and will never buy guns there again. However if you are looking for hunting/firearms related books, they have one of the largest selections I have ever seen.

Not mentioned above is Fountain Firearms on Hiway 6 @ Belaire (I think). On occasions they have reasonable prices.

I've never bought a gun at Collector's but I always stop in when I'm in that part of town, The staff has always been eager to ask me if I'd like look at anything. one of the salesmen told me most of the guns were "in the back" and they have alot on display.

If you like unusual guns, old guns, new guns and such I highly recomend Collector's

I may buy a gun there just because I like the place.

I lived in Spring before I moved back to Louisiana. I have traded with and purchased from Collectors before and have always been treated fairly. I agree some of their stuff is priced a little high, but the great thing is they have a broad selection and will make a deal - especially if you are trading. Also, I have bought from Carter's Country before but only when they ran a sale on something and it actually was a good deal. Tomball Pawn is excellent and is one of the best places to buy shells for duck and goose season. The best deals I found in Houston were at gun shows - believe it or not. The one that is in Pasadena is smaller but you can usually run across some good deals there. I also ran into some good deals on used guns at the Gander Mountain on I45N at Cypresswood.