• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun shops like barber shops?

Elkhound

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
North Carolina
Okay, what I mean is, you probably have a favorite gun shop and a favorite barber shop. There, they know you, and you are comfortable. Generally, the experience there is pleasant and you like going there, or at least don't mind it. Then, there is the shop where you go now and then, it may be convenient to your work or on the way somewhere. They may be "okay" but the experience just isn't the same as "old reliable."

I ordered a Glock from an internet vendor, and had it shipped to the gun shop which is on my way home. Not my usual shop, but a convenient one. I picked up the gun today. The experience was fine, but "sterile" - all business, no fun banter, no true "how you doing, what's up" with a familiar smile. Just another transaction for them.

I guess what I am blabbering about is, there is a reason why I go to the "favorite" shop. They know me by sight and name. They make the whole experience more pleasant. I temporarily forgot that - but not again.

Do you feel the same way, or is this just oddity I possess? lol

I tend to order everything from my favorite place, even if I pay more than what i could from the guy online. I always feel like a customer in other stores even if they know me. But I don't get the big city attitude anywhere I go. I'd rather spend my dollar locally is what it boils down to.

I tend to order everything from my favorite place, even if I pay more than what i could from the guy online. I always feel like a customer in other stores even if they know me. But I don't get the big city attitude anywhere I go. I'd rather spend my dollar locally is what it boils down to.

+1 I do try to spend as much as I can with my local guy. He in turn takes care of me, part of the deal.

Cheers,
Breeze

The owner of my gunshop has known me pretty much since the day I was born. I buy from him if at all possible, and in return he treats me very well, especially on trades. There are others around, and their sticker prices may be cheaper, but through all of our past business, I usually get a better price anyway. I hate it when he can't get something, or doesn't carry something, and I have to go somewhere else.

I'm with you guys, buy American made when ever possible, buy locally when ever possible, but we are a minority. If most of the gun buying public felt as we do, a lot of vendors, including many on this very board, would be "out of business".
The best thing about buying locally, is: if they say they have it, you can see it and they have it. FAR to many internet bandits (those that say they have in stock, but do not) will say almost anything to get your CC and make the sale, or will indicate "IN Stock" and take your order electronically- I know they'll say, "ooops, it was a computer glick etc." but, the truth is, many have very little if any real inventory, but will show on their sight- hugh amounts of goods for sale- you order from them (as they show in stock), they order from someone else....... This is the new business model I guess, I liked it more when someone told you-or indicated- they have it in stock, that they had it in stock. I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Shit, I wish I had a local shop, not that we don't have any, I just don't care for them. I drive 145 miles to Rapid City, SD and get better service.

I've never hung out a barber shop...but, I get where you're coming from. I agree 110% too.
I would rather go to the place where I'm treated as a valued customer and friend. I'm also willing to spend a little more in order to keep the place I feel at home open.

To play devil's advocate though, having a FFL is a tough business....My father is one in Maryland. Sometimes you have to get to know your customers by seeing them come in frequently and try to make small-talk over time. You can't always drop your guard with everyone in this business, as there are many who would like to put you on the front page of the news. Sometimes, it's got to be strictly.....business. Just sayin'.

But yeah - home is where your heart is.

I have a really good little gun shop near my house that has had the same people there for years and they know me by first name and it's a fun place to hang out, and look at stuff or show stuff off etc.

I go to a gun shop to buy a firearm, not to make friends. That being said, I don't mind a friendly, helpful staff and some good-natured banter. But it's not essential to my purchase experience.

There's a barber shop here that is kinda both minus selling guns... Old guns on the wall, hunting pictures and trophies, straight razor cuts, and cigars while you get a cut! It's pretty cool.

Enter the "Cheers" theme:

'Where Everybody knows your Name,,,'

And now side that with the "But I can get it cheaper over there/online" and see where business is going and trending.

Barber shops around here suck so I have my wife cut my hair. Make my own ammo so no need for a fav gun store. Still looking for a good place to shoot as Houston gun ranges suck. I probably just need to move to the hill country, might be a real barber there.

I try to give all my business to a small family owned store. It's owned by 2 brothers. I've bought 90% of the stuff I've bought in the last 15 years. I don't usually shop around at out of town shops. It's worth a few dollars to me to help keep this store open. If I had to I could walk there. (Less than 2 miles.)

I try and use my local smith in our small town of about 300 people He is one of the top 1911 pistol smiths in the country But he's very anal about who he deals with and took me along time to get to where we talk now. He's also reluctant to touch anything NFA. He wouldn't put a trigger in my 700 because barrel was threaded for my suppressor and didn't even want to touch the rifle. Just one of his peeves but still use him as much as possible

The other day I felt like I betrayed one of my dealers who I typically go through, but he couldn't get a rifle that I was really wanting. I am usually self serving when it comes to the gun market these days as I can save hundreds or sometimes thousands on various firearms I would like to buy. I went ahead and asked him anyway if he could get a rifle. The answer was no, but I told him I bought it anyway online and he didn't get his feel-bads hurt. He is a good guy with the only local indoor shooting range in Humboldt county. He has gotten me things NOBODY else could find at a somewhat reasonable price, so I continue to go through him. Its also like cheers where he knows my name when I walk in the door which is kind of nice.

Went to my Favourite gun shop and one of the guys that knows me well says.... you want one of those KSG shotguns... One just came in.....

I have two shops I use, they are both really nice and I like them a lot. But, there are a few other shops here in town that really put me off, they are kind of jerks and rotate through employees something amazing. The one, he ran for State Senator here this year, and got caught lying about his education, really bad, realllllly bad, was embarrassing to see.

With all of this said, I pop in to the two shops I use, and I do buy some stuff from these guys and pay that little extra. Their ammo prices are a tad bit insane, but they have to be, or they'd be dry on their walls. And honestly, I can be at a computer so often through my day it isn't fair to be upset they aren't finding the good ammo deals like I am.

Last edited:
My LGS of several years closed a while back. But we have a pawn shop in town that is a mecca for 7-digit Remington SAs and other donor material. Always treated me well and nice guys to talk to.

The best shop I ever frequented was in Cookeville, TN. I received an education in Firearms 101 at a back table and made some good friends. A couple of whom have passed far too soon.

Most shops and ranges I've been to have not appealed to me. Mostly because of the profoundly wrong information peddled to everyone and anyone that comes in. Usually delivered with a heaping dose of arrogance and condescension. My favourite is as you describe: friendly banter, personal, the whole nine yards. They've even gotten me into the SHOT show several years. Many of the staff were in the Marine Corps.

I once asked to see something at one of the local gun shops. They had it in stock and I wanted it, but I saw the price and it was too much to swallow. He asked why I didn't buy it. I explained I could get much better deal online. He responded, "don't you want to support your local gun shop?" I said of course, and I will as soon as they support me. The item was almost 50% more than online, and a good 20% more than retail. I work too hard to pay a premium to be chummy. I don't mind being friendly and doing business with them when I can, but I won't let them take advantage of me either. He is not entitled to my business because I am local. He must earn my business. That's the attitude I take everywhere.

It's 2013: I can find out the lowest price available for a gun on the planet. So can my local shop which means they should be competent AND competitive with their pricing. I'm not going to pay a stupid price just because they're local. Its not an excuse.