• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Gun Show Wisdom

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    I have been at the Big Reno Show the last 3 days and wanted to pass on some of the wisdom that has been bestowed upon me.

Today I was chatting with a retired Marine and Vietnam vet. He told me 2 things he has learned during his life.

1) The only time in your life you can have too many guns is when you are swimming.

2) No one that has ever won a gun fight complained about having to carry too much ammo.

Another gentleman and I were chatting about current social and political events. He mentioned the alarming number of prominent black Americans that are converting to Islam, he said Cassius Clay became Muhammad Ali, then Lou Alcindor became Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, but the one that really bothered him was when Buckwheat from Our Gang became Kareem O-Weet.

I learned today from a very informed individual that .300wsm is 400fps faster than .300wm, and he has a custom AR chambered in that caliber. Further more he can hit a beer can at 1500 yards.

One young guy came up to my table and stood near my FAL's in his most rough and tough voice asked "Do you have any 556 mags?"
    I asked "For what?"
    He said "556"
    I said "For which gun, AR-15, Mini-14, Galil? You have to tell me which gun."
    About this time I noticed off to the right about 15 feet away was another young guy videoing us over his girl friend's shoulder.
    Now this guy bellows in the toughest voice he can muster "I said 556 mags."
    I leaned over the table and motioned for him to come closer. I whispered to him "I can see your friend taking video and unless you want to be the next person on Live Leak getting your ass beat while everyone else is screaming World Star you better get the fuck out of here."

To top the day off late this afternoon and young boy (maybe 10 or 11 years old) and his father were looking at some vintage single shot .22 rifles I had on my table. I have a few Stevens Favorites and Crackshots, a couple of Hamilton Boys Rifles, and a couple of Belgian made falling block rifles. His father told me he did chores, saved his allowance and did some odd jobs for neighbors to save up his own money to buy his first rifle. I let them come around behind my tables and let the young guy look at any rifle he wanted to. He decided he wanted a Belgian falling block rifle. It is a really nice guild gun built in Liege with a full octagon barrel and a really tight action. I showed him the price tag of $300. I told him I was impressed with his hard work and what it took to save up that much money at his age. I told him hard work always pays off in everything you do. Then I told him if he promises to work hard at school and get good grades, when he plays sports to always be the one who works the hardest and if he promises to do his chores when his mom and dad tell him to, then as a reward for the hard work he has already put in to being a good kid he can have the rifle for free. I said this is a contract between you and I and if you break the contract your father will take the rifle away and bring it back to me. The smile on that kids face was worth putting up with all of the shitbags at the show. I then told him to use part of the money he saved up and buy his mother something nice and I gave him a brick of .22 ammo. Needless to say, I made to friends this afternoon.

Did anyone else notice the fact that a 10-11 year had a desire for a quality single shot 22??? Wow! No semi auto spray and pray but a good quality single shot! Good on you! There is still a glimmer of hope for this country.

NOT MY PICTURE AND CREDIT. Taken from a friend who saw this.
    Gun show wisdom. Do not steal at a gun show out of all places.

76638424_10157579122484631_701536045413433344_o.jpg

NOT MY PICTURE AND CREDIT. Taken from a friend who saw this.
    Gun show wisdom. Do not steal at a gun show out of all places.

View attachment 7184754
    The only gun (Desert Eagle) I have ever had stolen at a gun show was stolen at night by one of the security guards. He got caught trying to carry a bag full of guns out the back door when he got off work the next morning just as the show was opening. It was in CA about 25 years ago and it took me about 6 months to get the gun back.

• Sad
    Reactions: Barneybdb
    Very refreshing thread. Thanks for this. If only it were 'commonplace' as opposed to 'the rare gem....'
    Thank you. This is not the first gun I have given to a kid, just the latest, but this kids reaction was probably the best.

I also gave away a lot of baseball gloves and cleats when I coached Little League and Babe Ruth baseball. I have almost as many baseball gloves and mitts as I have guns. Some of the kids I coached are now grown and playing college or pro ball.

IMG_0030 (2).JPG

Well done. It is things line this that make a measurable impact on the next generation of shooters.

One can overhear some pretty unusual things at a gun show. Some of the “knowledge” makes for great stores.

I was there Saturday too. First gun show ive been to in 15 years or so. I enjoyed the fact that it wasn’t aisle after aisle of AR crap. I witnessed a few loud and argumentative haggles going on too, which was kinda funny. I really want an original Sharps and dang there we’re a lot of them! Never seen so many lever actions in one place either. Only thing I regret passing up was a really nice 50’s era Hi-Standard 22 pistol, which I probably could have had for $350. Left the show without spending a dollar.

Man 168, I don’t know if I could spend that much time at a place like that. I’m worn out just walking around for three hours. You make any good sales?

Kudos for your generosity and good example to the boy!

I was there Saturday too. First gun show ive been to in 15 years or so. I enjoyed the fact that it wasn’t aisle after aisle of AR crap. I witnessed a few loud and argumentative haggles going on too, which was kinda funny. I really want an original Sharps and dang there we’re a lot of them! Never seen so many lever actions in one place either. Only thing I regret passing up was a really nice 50’s era Hi-Standard 22 pistol, which I probably could have had for $350. Left the show without spending a dollar.

Man 168, I don’t know if I could spend that much time at a place like that. I’m worn out just walking around for three hours. You make any good sales?

Kudos for your generosity and good example to the boy!
    I didn't sell very much but sometimes that isn't what makes a show good. I bought 4 Unertl scopes, a S&W model 17 8 3/8", a nickel S&W model 19 4", a nice Remington patter 17 Enfield, a set of case colored O & E blocks to mount a Winchester or Lyman scope on a 1903 Springfield and a lot of small parts.

people are stupid , just a couple hundred dollars and a ghost gun he could own . now imprisoned , molested , and turned into somebody's love bunny . would love to have been able to ask him if it was worth it . or give his celly a few packs of smokes for special treatment .