• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gun smithing schools

Mike0341

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Houston Texas
Conversation keeps coming up on what am i going to do now that I'm out of the service. I'm medically retired and hate dealing with people typically unless we have a common interest so my dream was always to open a gun store but that takes a lot of start up capitol that i just do not have. that and in todays day in age the guns do not make the profit but ammo sales, gear, and other little things like that typically do. it just doesn't seem profitable to me.

so i figure i will just use my GI Bill on something i would enjoy and thats why I'm here.

I know I'm most likely beating a dead horse to death but i was wondering if it would be better to find a gunsmith school so i can learn how to build my own bolt guns at some point or to take machining courses and courses in how to use a CNC.

i wouldn't mind learning the machining and cnc part and then working for a smith for free just to learn how to actually build a quality rifle.

I'm married so moving all of my crap to another state for a short time and returning to houston would be a pain in the arse. thats why i ask if learning the machine and cnc courses would be a good idea.

the draw back for the gunsmith course is also the fact i have little to no use of learning how to fix other peoples 1911s, revolvers, and other weapons. i just want to learn how to do my own work on my own weapons and maybe help my buddies out here and there.

thanks in advance
Mike

Re: Gun smithing schools

Others will chime in here with more applicable advice but here's my 2 cents worth. There a four schools that I would consider attending: Lassen CC, Susanville, CA. Montgomery CC, Troy, NC. And closer to you, Murray State College in OK and Trinidad St. JC, Trinidad, CO.

All of these offer AA degree GS programs and I've heard great things about the two closest to you. I've been to Susanville and it was great. If you were in CA I would recommend it.

The best part of these schools is they offer NRA Short-Term GS programs (google it). This is what I attended at Susanville. I highly recommend them. One and two week gun or topic specific courses. At Susanville you'll spend the most money on tools, then parts, then lodging. Tuition is almost an after-thought it's so cheap, even out of state.

One of the best things I saw there were father-son teams. A couple of times there were dads with teenage sons there to take a class. The kids had so much fun that they stayed there the whole summer taking classes and the dads were there for a class at the beginning and the end of the summer. The staff there is great at gunsmithing and they were trusted enough by these dads (and me too) that they basically watched over these kids all summer. Most stayed on campus but a couple were in dive motels downtown (were I was) and the instructors, and basically everybody in the classes, watched over them.

About half the attendees are LE. The biggest challenge is it's remote, about 2 hours NW of Reno, NV. But there were people there from Florida and the East Coast, flight and a rental.

Look into them. At Lassen even the summer classes count toward a degree. A couple of years ago they switched their whole program from semesters to short courses.

Benchrest legend Speedy Gonzalez is at Trinidad. Lots of familiar names at all the schools. Check them out.

I went to Trinidad back in the early 90's. I went right out of high school which was a mistake looking back.

I recommend that you enroll in a local school and learn machine shop and bench tools first. Then take the NRA Gunsmithing summer courses (two week classes) Then if you like them, enroll in a school. Since your in Texas, Id go to Trinindad.

yea i plan to take the machine shop courses at my local college along with the CNC shop courses. i make an extra 1600 a month from the GI bill to "help pay for rent" here in houston so i want to take as many courses here in houston that will be beneficial because i won't make nearly as much a month for "rent money" in the areas where these schools are located.

only problem i have about going to a full out gunsmith course is the fact i only want to focus on bolt guns. also if i take courses and I'm not in a full out program then the GI bill may pay for it but i won't get the "rent money" unless I'm a full time student"

it really is a shame that Texas considers itself a very gun friendly state yet their isn't a single reputable gunsmith school based out of Tx.

i want to get the most out of my GI bill that i can and learn something i actually would enjoy instead of some random crap that someone thinks i need to know (like a second language for instance).

thanks for the input
Mike

as an x gunsmith I suggest this...find a regular job and work on smithing your own stuff for a few years. Buy as many parts guns as you can then see what you can do to make them work.

Gunsmithing is a job of passion and paying the bills is just luck, if it's your only source of income.

Get a job in a machine shop would be the first thingsI'd look at doing...work with them on your medical issue.

One problem you'll have learning from another gunsmith is their feeling of your taking their business. You'd probably have to work with them for a while then not work on any guns within X miles from their place of business.