• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

gun stock painting with 2 parts epoxy?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Has anyone tried this? Other than cerakote what is durable paint for a stock? Not talking about rustoleum or other Walmart rattle cans. Which I do like on my AR10. Looking for durable paint for my Remmy 700p right now. Thanks guys and gals.

Most pros use Polane, can be bought at better auto paint stores. Very expensive but very durable.

I gotta tell you, Krylon really sticks pretty damn good. I got a little carried away when I painted my rifle/scope and painted the knobs on the scope. I used lighter fluid to clean them off, but it was a BITCH!!! This gun gets handled a LOT and has almost no wear.

Did mine 20+ years ago with Brownell's acraglas. Tinted it with stain. Let it get a little bit tacky and stippled it with a sponge. Still good today. Smooth out the cheek piece area before it hardens. Scratch yourself otherwise.

Rattle can paint dissolves with gasoline. True automotive paint is not dissolved by gas.

Some say duracoat is similar to sherwin Williams automotive finishes.

My smith talked be out of painting plastics. I was warned that it does not hold up as well as one would expect on a working gun.

Automotive paints add flex additives when they shoot bumpers and plastics parts so the coating holds better.

The best I have seen on plastic parts is cerakote. You need to sand blast the parts correctly to create enough "pockets" so the product will stay in place.

What 2 part epoxies are you considering? Macro Poxy by sherwin Williams - about $110 / 2 gallons 1 gallon A & 1 gallon of B

Or what products?

Duracoat is hard to beat just for the shear colors it comes in and it's pretty durable too.

Here is my turkey gun I did with it.

NovaDigital1.jpg

....and another digital I call the green monster.

65digi3.jpg

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I've rattle canned THEN coated it with that pourable 2 part clear epoxy bar top stuff they sell at Home Depot. Brush it on using foam brushes.