• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gun storage

pnaples92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
NC
I just have a few questions about storing my guns. I am pcsing to Germany tomorrow and I cannot bring any of my guns with me so they are being stored in my safe at my parents house. Will they be alright in the with just the plug in dehumidifier? I only ask this because both my parents dont like guns or want really anything to do with them, so I need a solution that i can do to them to make it less work on them. As i dont want to come back to the states and see my guns ruined. I am not sure the next time i will come back to the states to do anything with them. So what can i do to make sure they dont rust on me while im gone.

thanks

Re: Gun storage

Kind of late to be asking. NC is kind of humid, do your parents have a plan to check on the dehumidifier while you're gone (I am assuming for three+ years). What kind of dehumidifier? A golden-rod type or one that needs to be emptied?

Did you give your firearms a light coat of oil? That would certainly help. While I was there mine were kept by a good friend who was able to care for them...do you have such a friend whom you would trust to do that?

I know it is really late to be asking this but thought i should at least ask it before i head out. I have one of the 18" golden rod dehumidifiers and i was planning on putting on Hoppes gun grease. My parents dont know anything about guns but i told them to keep an eye out for rust. The only friend that i would trust to hold them as talked about going active duty and not sure what is going to happen with that.

When I store for longer periods, I use Sweetshooter. It costs around 17-19 bucks a pint.
It penetrates the metal including the bore, so I have NEVER had a rust problem. I travel to a humid part of the country, so I have to be very very particular.

where can you find that stuff? any major retail stores?