• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun store ban!

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Had to say. I can't go to a Gun store, any more. Went to get my 2 new 5R's. While the "paperwork" was being processed, my eye fell upon an old 99 Savage, for under $500. With a "vintage" Weaver scope. Now it's in my Safe. I can't stop myself! I need help! Is there a "program", out there, for guy's like me?Last time, I went to get powder, a guy walks in with an old German Mauser. I bought it. I'm out of control. Am I alone, or are there "other guys" out there that "Can't stop"?

Last edited:
Your not alone but it will get better. The gun buying will slow down cause your money will soon run short. LOL

You, like many of us, have a disease for which there is no cure. Symptoms of the disease are: empty bank accounts, maxed out credit cards, full gun safes, deciding where to live based on property/range proximity, being a Snipers Hide member, ect...

There is no cure, embrace it and live with it.

If nobody else answers you, they're probably going to, at, or on their way back from a gun shop. Me? I'm just leaving now to go ... :D

Funny how the logic changes from "Wow, I'd be able to use that rifle for caribou, moose, black bear..." to "Wow, that rifle deserves a good home..."

Man I love the savage 99 I am looking for one and if I found one for that I'de have been all over it too. Ive been holding out for a 308 but now i'm thinking Ill just get a 300 savage. You've renewed my search efforts. Now ban yourself from the internet cause now your not doing anyone any good.

Well, where were you when I needed someone to say, 'STOP, don't buy that rifle!', eh? I have no pity for you ... ;-)

Yes, this happens, the only thing that can really stop me is lack of funds. Last year, before all the craziness began, I went to a gun show to pick up some ammo from the Georgia Arms people and browse. The browsing was a bad idea, as I ended up with a Winchester 100 with leather sling and Nikon scope mounted. Sure, it was a post '64 version with the embossed stock vs. the older checkered versions, but once I talked him into including the extra mag (these sell for up to $100 each used), I walked out of there just slightly less than $500 poorer but feeling giddy like a school kid in a dime store (remember those?).

Sure, it's no tack driver, but it's a fine woods hunting gun, with 1-1/2" to 2" groups at 100 yds using inexpensive box store SP hunting loads. I certainly didn't need it, but then I think that's the point of this post, isn't it. :)

I can probably go on and point out at least a dozen residents of the gun safe(s) that got there in a similar manner. All, mind you, very necessary!

And yes, my wife does think its a form of sickness, but apparently a tolerable one.

My current problem is that my lovely really doesn't pay much attention to the guns I have, the safe always looks full (and she keeps her jewelry in there) but the problem is that the number of guns has exceeded my gunsafe tetris skill and as of now they won't all fit (at least with scopes on) and I know she will notice if I get another safe... doh! :)

My current problem is that my lovely really doesn't pay much attention to the guns I have, the safe always looks full (and she keeps her jewelry in there) but the problem is that the number of guns has exceeded my gunsafe tetris skill and as of now they won't all fit (at least with scopes on) and I know she will notice if I get another safe... doh! :)

Buy a bigger one, and tell her that research had shown that the old one did not have enough fire/theft protection for her jewelry, so you had to do something, and the bigger one was by far the better value. Then, put the old one in your man-domain where she won't see that you still have it, and WOW, will you have options then! Think of all the stray guns you could provide comfort and nourishment to then!

Get these: Gun Storage Solutions | Rifle Rods

You'll be surprised how much more you can fit in! Lol.

I picked up a Winchester 94 30-30 from a collector over the weekend because it was the first gun I hunted with. Today I went to a gun store and left with $200 in ammo and reloading items. My wife has no clue as do I of her shopping habits. It is a perfect union

dont carry your credit cards in your wallet and only have $20 cash on hand..that should stop the impulse buying

Josh........... here`s the cure........... start shooting........ competitively............no more loose money.......... just better equip.

Funny how the logic changes from "Wow, I'd be able to use that rifle for caribou, moose, black bear..." to "Wow, that rifle deserves a good home..."

To: "GREAT, now with that consecutive serial-number segment, I can finally complete that line of my collection, in that particular caliber! Only 7 more caliber traits to finish, and then that model will be done!!! Of THIS brand!!!!!!!!!!!"

Heaven, I'm in heaven......

"******brought to you by my Find-a-Font from my ever popular Tin-e-Tower in my Hide-y-Home wearing my Romp-n-Robe simply because it is so Ridicu-lously-Relevant that you know that******"

My name is bluto77, and I am a gun-buyingaholic. I'm having the same running out of room problem with the safe. I've considered buying a bigger one, but ironcially (not sure if ironic or sad), I hesitate to do so as it will take away from funds "needed" to feed the gun addiction. I go in spurts. I'll buy several within a 30 day period, play with them for awhile, and then sell at least half of them and buy more. One of the problems there is that I'm buying much less than I'm selling. I've even set up a separate bank account just to be used for gun stuff and told myself that I'll only contribute to it with proceeds from selling part of the collection. Unforunately I always find a way to talk myself into moving just a little more over from the family checking account. And my rationale is always flawed at best. For example: I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP .338 LM. The rationale....I was standing in my gun closet, yet I have a closet that also contains the safe, looking around for stuff to sell on gunbroker. I've already owned a Savage .338 LM about a year ago, the 110 BA. I sold it back then to buy something else. I had purchased 4 boxes of different brands of ammo, as well as a case (10 boxes) of S&B ammo. I shot 77 out of the 100 rounds of S&B prior to selling, and I kept every piece of spent brass b/c I was going to start reloading .338 (I bought dies and bullets too). I only shot 6 or 7 rounds total out of the 4 other boxes. Once I sold the .338 I kept telling myself I was going to sell the .388 ammo, sell the leftover brass and live rounds of S&B as a package, and sell the dies and bullets. I even went as far as taking the pictures to post on gunbroker. But the little voice in the back of my head kept telling me to hold off because I might own a .338 again someday. Fast forward to the present, I'm standing there looking for things to sell, looked at the ammo, and then decided I should go ahead and BUY a .338 rifle instead of selling the ammo because I'm waiting on Scout Supply Company to finish a build for me, so I figured I would play with the 338 LM until it was finished, and then sell it and whatever ammo was left over. The Savage was $1300 and the bullets/dies/ammo have to be worth $500'ish. So instead of selling them and getting $500, I spent $1300 instead.....that's an $1800 swing! Don't even get me started on the scope!

If i leave graf's for less than a c-bill I'm happy! If you want your gun funds to dry up, start shooting competition. You'll end up with a closet full of gear and room in the safe :)

Embrace it! it's a good thing! Right now guns and ammo and better investments than silver and gold. Mark my words, someday you won't be able to walk into a gun store and walk out with what you want, buy buy buy!

you could just embrace the habit. Become some what of a crack whore, but instead if selling ass to fund your habit you could sell some of those guns to support it. JWCOTTON is looking for that model 99, he may be your first.....

Maybe like me, as I am leaving gun shop with latest firearm buy, looking back over my shoulder to see next one I am going to get...........if that's not enough, how 'bout collecting range brass for a caliber you don't even have...........well some day.............xray9

Maybe like me, as I am leaving gun shop with latest firearm buy, looking back over my shoulder to see next one I am going to get...........if that's not enough, how 'bout collecting range brass for a caliber you don't even have...........well some day.............xray9

I did that. That is why I had to buy a 1911 Para14-45 in 45ACP and a Stoeger 9mm.

We all "got it"! One of my best friends and I went to a gun show in Atlanta several years ago, between my buddy and me we bought a "few". After the show we went to his house, he opened one of his safes, and was trying to find a spot a pistols he just bought, when I spotten one just like it in the rear of the top shelf! He admitted "I thought I had one, but I couldn't remember"! This hasn't slowed him down at all, as one guy pointed out, where would the fun be in that?

Long ago I decided to embrace the madness and Live the Lunacy. My brother slickrick makes fun of me for buying Rem 700s in 22-250. I don't like the cartridge, but they make wonderful .308s.

Glad I could help and if you ever just need to talk, give me a call.

Last edited:
You know your really screwed when your gun store that does not accept checks is perfectly willing to take yours. Your completely f-----d when you tell the store owner "I'd buy that if I had my checkbook" and his response is to start filling out paperwork and he tells you to "stop by next week with the check."

Your wife tells you put all those guns back in the safe, you tell her there's no room, she tells you to get another safe, that's heaven. A week later you tell her you sold a gun and her response is "why'd you do that", that's being in heaven with a country girl.

To: "GREAT, now with that consecutive serial-number segment, I can finally complete that line of my collection, in that particular caliber! Only 7 more caliber traits to finish, and then that model will be done!!! Of THIS brand!!!!!!!!!!!"

Heaven, I'm in heaven......

"******brought to you by my Find-a-Font from my ever popular Tin-e-Tower in my Hide-y-Home wearing my Romp-n-Robe simply because it is so Ridicu-lously-Relevant that you know that******"

Hell yeah dude! My latest purchase was inspired by a visit to the gun shop to send my K98 down to my gunsmith in AZ for full parkerizing and some sick New England Custom Gun three-leaf express sights...
I saw this beautiful straight stock bolt-action on the wall, and curious, I asked what it was. Brand new M1903A3 (manufactured in AUG 1943, barrel AUG1944, been sitting in a warehouse for going on 70 years). Then when I went to Georgia to visit the family for christmas, I started digging into the history behind my great grandfather, Ol' dude fought at The Marne with an 03. Kept running into 03s everywhere I looked. so I came back home, walked across the street to the gun shop, and dropped the cash down.

l'Audace doesn't have the backstory of Great Grandpa's 03, but it feels damn good to look at her in my hands when I'm out in BFE Alaska, and know that she's the finest bolt action battle rifle ever devised.

image.jpg
I just wanted to see if I could post a pic directly from my phone while posting. This is the Winchester 100 that ultimately led me to the Hide (and therefore to buying a bunch more stuff, lol). After shooting this, I had a desire to find something that would be more precise. And so it began...

you could just embrace the habit. Become some what of a crack whore, but instead if selling ass to fund your habit you could sell some of those guns to support it. JWCOTTON is looking for that model 99, he may be your first.....
The "problem", is that when I sell one, I regret it. That's what happened with the 99. Years ago, I got my Grand fathers guns. One was a "pretty much new"99, from the 20's, or 30s. I should be "strung up and whipped". I wanted a new black rifle, and let her go for $400. Now, I'm older and wiser, and kick myself, daily.

^^^Lol, that's true ^^^

And when you hear someone tell you to get a bigger gun safe than you think you need, what it should really mean is, "Get a gun safe at least twice the size of what you think you need". Then start saving up for the next one.

You cannot stop it, you can only hope to contain it!! There is no cure we just need to adapt to living with this disease. Oh but what a great one it is!

Hell, I've managed to squeeze all nine of my rifles into a 7 gun safe..... Just gotta use a little finesse.

My wife always asks after me after my latest gun purchase "how many guns do you need?" My reply is always the same.."babe, its simple...I just want at least two of everything". She says its a sickness....I call it a healthy obsession.

OK, OK, slowly put the money down, all of it. send it to me and I will make sure you receive a stipend each month that fits a budget. After you have shown stability, and have made sure you get permission from your spouse for purchases, your stipend will increase. Show you cannot control it, and you will be cut off.
I am currently on cut off mode myself...damn car and bike parts are killing me!