• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun stuff or new car

Nice, profanity and name calling. I didn't call you any names, just pointed out the obvious. If you took what I said as an insult I must have hit the target dead center.

Hmnm, building houses and commercial buildings, building cars, truck and airplanes keeps people at minimum wage or a bit better? I would venture a guess the UAW, Teamsters, IUPAT, and every auto maker, dealer, service tech, and general contractor in the world would like to discuss that with you.

As far as my "momma's basement" goes, I have been living in my own house since I was a senior in high school (41 years and still going).

You live lean so you can remember others are starving? Translation, you are a part time janitor at a junior high school. There is a place for everyone and everyone is in their place.

"That's a complete load of horseshit and nothing but jealousy on your part "

That may not be profanity but its tantamount to name calling because its not the truth. You dont know me so how could you know if Im jealous? Youre just being crass and insulting in a different way. Personally, I enjoy some good profanity at times...especially, when as you say, it is insulting an obvious dildo.

As tt my being a janitor, thats an honorable profession. One of my best friends, dead now, fought his way through WWII in Germany, came home and couldnt get a hob because he was black, so started a janitorial business, cleaning for all the rich white boys who werent half the man he was. Shows a pretty poor reflection on your sorry character to insult janitors.

I live lean because I choose to but the fact is I started a small business at 30, retired and went back to college at 40. Graduated from UVA at 45.

So back to your broadcast from Maser's underwear.

Damn, thats an insult to Maze.

So 168 I dont deny what you say. They do create 'jobs' inso far as it goes. But its like giving someone a fish rather than teaching them to fish. Creating programs that teach the core issues rather than just more bullshit. Before one learns the three R's they should be required to show proficiency in the most fundamental concepts which are really one and the same.

-"Every action has an equal and opposite action."
-"You reap as you sow."

If you know and understand those concepts then every thing else falls into line. With out them, not so much.

Should the uber wealthy be required by law to do do that? No.

Should they do it out of true compassion for their fellow human being AND because they know that their actions will return as sown?

IMHO, yes. I do.

If youve been around here long enough you may remember years ago I had a picture of some ancient Mayan gold jewelry as my avatar. I conservatively estimate it to have been worth 250K. Dennis Hopper looked at it and said a million at least. I didnt want it to get buried in some museum vault so I donated it to a charitable organization who sold it and helped people with the dollars.

I dont want accolades for that, just using it as an example. I have some nice shit, sure, but I intentionally live lean and below my means so others can just live.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I don't get what you're pissed about, Maggot..

If some dude is loaded and decides it's worth it to himself to buy a 3.5 million dollar camera, what the fuck does that have to do with Joe? Did Joe make the camera? No, Joe works at Best-Buy. They don't sell cameras like that at Best-Buy. They don't manufacture those cameras at Best-Buy. Joe doesn't even know there are cameras in the world that could cost 3.5 million dollars. Joe doesn't even know there's someone in the world with 3.5 million dollars he'd put towards a fucking camera.

Furthermore, as much as a communist faggot as Bill Gates is, he did manage to create a fuckload of jobs, some of them even pay pretty well. I think he earned what he has (aside from, y'know, stealing ideas and all).

So i drive an 04 car that is starting to rust fairly heavily. I'm sure it can get another 2-3 years out of it if i want to... I was thinking today if i forego a new car I can afford that much more in gun stuff.

Whats more important to you?

Newer vehicle; or optic upgrades, tripods, labradar, progressive reloaders, etc.

Can y

I'm a professional swimmer. In my sport are not so often injured as in others but I decided just in case to insure their health because if I get a serious injury in a career you can put an end. The insurance company also offered me general insurance and I insured my house in Washington. If something happens to him, I get paid because this house cost me a lot of money and I would not want to stay with anything if it is for example burned.

To the OP's question, drive it until the wheels fall off. Rust doesn't normally affect the safety or reliability of vehicles with the exception of exhaust systems. Certain manufacturers in specific models are noted for holding their value, buy those. Have your next driver on hand and vetted before your last expires. If that sounds overly simplistic it is. To be more precise would take a short book and I have no desire to be an author. Simple examples are Toyota 4WD trucks with the 22R. Be sure the timing chain tensioners have been replaced. Early Land Cruisers with original equipment will last almost forever if cared for. 2000ish Accords and Camrys with low miles (100K) are never worthless because someone else is always trying to keep their's on the road. In later model stuff stay with Honda, Toyota and Subaru. What I consider a particularly good buy currently are '78 C-20, K5 and Suburbans with 350CIDs and 400 trans. My qualifications are thirty years in the car business from early '70s 'til 2004. I sat in every chair in the front end of a store from liner to minority owner. Included in that is about ten years of dealing in collectibles, European heavies, exotics, etc. etc.

Art is a whole different world at the high end. If you want to see that Google the recent sale of the DaVinci. An absolute and complete hustle perpetrated by one of the worlds most reputable auction houses. Collectibles have a simple rule. The rule is get in early and get out early. Move on to the next opportunity. My qualifications here are that we (my wife, mother-in-law and myself) owned three relatively successful art galleries. The girls did all the work and I took care of some of the extraneous business matters. Nonetheless we represented a number of internationally known artists in both painting and sculpture. They also represented a collection of Japanese and Chinese antiquities that was incredibly valuable. All this is to say that the girls always told their customers to ignore the story and only purchase if they loved the piece and were willing to die with it.

Now as to guns, that's actually a similar situation in that values can be cyclical. Everyone that watches knows that Snake guns are bringing stupid money. Have they reached their zenith? I don't know but they have definitely exceeded their utilitarian value. I've watched Mod. 12s, Browning Superposed, Parkers, LC Smiths, Ithaca SXSs etc. do this over the last forty years. All of them have been driven beyond rational values and then returned to numbers that reflected there actual value from the view of utilitarian value and scarcity.

Cars, trucks, guns, optics, etc. are only transient objects in our lives. If any of them bring you pleasure than buy them. That is why we work. Each of us is uniquely capable of knowing how much they mean to us individually. We all must determine how much time we are willing to trade for the objects of our desires and that is usually the trade off.

Unfortunately, this thread has drifted from a simple question to much more esoteric concerns so I will give you my thoughts. I am concerned about the gradual deterioration of what is generally described as the "middle class". My life has been such that I have had the oportunity to succeed-fail, succeed-fail without restriction. Sometimes I wonder which square I finally landed on. I am very concerned that my grandchildren will not have that opportunity. As to Gates, Buffett, et. al I couldn't care less. They will never appreciate a dog like Remmie who made me look like the worlds' greatest bird hunter, a hunting partner like Tony who was an impossible individual but more fun to hunt with than law allows or horses like Iffy, Tabby and Sherman who no one actually deserves to own, or Lenard who taught me more about shooting-flying than I could have hoped to learn. I wouldn't trade a moment of my life for Gates riches because that moment would change everything from that moment on.

I will now return to making the brief comments in threads where I have something to offer.

THE END

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmanss
That's a complete load of horseshit and nothing but jealousy on your part. Keep it in small circles? Really do you mean like when Warren Buffet donated $30B in 2006, Bill gates $11B in 1999, William Hewlett $6B in 2001? That's $47B just between 3 people. Is that hoarding money in small circles? The only way they can keep their money in small circles would be if they never ever bought anything, period. They build houses and commercial buildings, buy cars, trucks and airplanes, all of those activities employ thousands of people. They hire huge security contingents to protect themselves and their families. Having that kind of money causes all kinds of problems, yes problems, the rest of us don't have to worry about. Family members are at risk of kidnapping for ransom. They can't be seen in public because people are constantly begging for money, so they become recluse.

Even if someone spent $350M on a Rembrandt it's none of anyone else's business, and just buying a $350M painting is not a transaction between two rich guys hoarding money. That kind of asset has to be secured, transported, insured, and maintained, none of which will be done by the owner. Someone had to build the climate controlled vault it is stored in, someone is responsible for maintaining it, someone is responsible for security. Someone has to build and install the security systems.

If you get a stick up your ass over a $350M painting where do you draw the line? Do we all have to eat chicken nuggets or can we go out and have a $200 steak once in a while? Can I still build $15K custom rifles or do I have to buy a Savage from Walmart? Can Jay Leno still collect $1M cars? Can guys still bring their $50M airplanes to the Reno air races? Can John Force still spend $100M a year supporting his race teams? None of that is anyone else's business. Who cares if the "average chump" ever sees a penny of it? Let the average chump do what the rest of us did, work for it.

Not to mention having to pay taxes selling and buying a 350 million dollar painting. I wonder what insurance costs on that? What does a guy charge to hang it? Or does Bill Gates grab some screws at Lowes and his trusty Dewalt....Does he haul it home in the trunk of his Ferrari?

Not to mention having to pay taxes selling and buying a 350 million dollar painting. I wonder what insurance costs on that? What does a guy charge to hang it? Or does Bill Gates grab some screws at Lowes and his trusty Dewalt....Does he haul it home in the trunk of his Ferrari?

They dont pay taxes on that kind of stuff. Its all done as capital gains of some sort. The ones with that much dont pay taxes anyway, Its us the middle class that supports the country.

You guys either have BAD ADD or there's a lot of thoughts just waiting to come out of your heads.

I'll probably just do what i always do.. Keep the old gal running for the next couple years and keep buying shooting stuff (dueling tree sounds fun to build). Fortunately, I can craft about anything.

Next month, I think i need 4 new game cameras. (way better investment than a car payment)

Just don't tell the wife that i'm buying stuff. Shes got the itch for getting a newer car.

Just don't tell the wife that i'm buying stuff. Shes got the itch for getting a newer car.
Well, if that's the case, a new(er) vehicle might be best. Investment in "Happy wife, happy life" always pays off!

I drive a '97 and my lady drives a '18 (after I totaled her '14). Not having to hear her complain about the rattling cat conv on her '04 Explorer and being afraid of being stranded roadside is worth every penny...

(after I totaled her '14).

LOL(y)

Capital gains are taxed as income.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/how-are-capital-gains-taxed

I know we support the country. We are the large majority.

Ill bet you a dollar to a dime that these guys rarely pay a cent for buying this stuff, or very little, beyond auction fees. They find some way to circumvent it, if not capital gains then some way. I know when I was buying and selling this stuff, albeit at a much lower level, if you reinvested the money in a similar way no tax.

WTF, exactly where in the constitution does it say how much you can make or spend on a fucking painting....
Like the freedom of speach or the 2nd amendment.
You have to take it all or take none.
If you feel the tax laws aren't implemented evenly start where they fucking made the loop holes...
If I had 150 million you'd bet I'd have a kick ass accountant/tax lawyer and what ever is required.
Frivolous fucking concerns....

R

Reactions: Bender and 1J04
One of my favourite authors once wrote something to the effect that if the truth is actually told, explained and processed, most people don't actually want to be vastly rich, rather they just wish they could freely spend large amounts of money without responsibility or consequence.

WTF, exactly where in the constitution does it say how much you can make or spend on a fucking painting....
Like the freedom of speach or the 2nd amendment.
You have to take it all or take none.
If you feel the tax laws aren't implemented evenly start where they fucking made the loop holes...
If I had 150 million you'd bet I'd have a kick ass accountant/tax lawyer and what ever is required.
Frivolous fucking concerns....

R

YOu need to pay more attention to reading comprehension, R.

If you go back and look through my posts on this I said nor implied no such thing. I clearly stated above, post #53, that people should not be required to do anything by law...and under that umbrella, being able to earn as much as they want.

My 'concern' is more a disappointment and embarrassment for humanity, that they would put so much emphasis on personal acquisition over compassion for their fellow human beings. On material gain rather than using their success to make a real difference. Perhaps that concept is above most. Thats not liberal, thats me, and thats addressed in most spiritual spiritual.

Yeah, if I won 150 million Id get a good accountant as well. Keep as much of it as possible from a government I dont trust. But then Id give away, in some constructive fashion, most of it. The truth is I have most everything I want. A nice home, car, truck, nice audio system, a couple nice art type things of some value. Thats all I want so if I kept 2 million I would be fatter than I needed. Using the rest to teach others how to do the same would become my priority. As I stated i like to live lean. Its healthy.

Im not saying Jay Leno shouldnt be allowed to have 50 cars worth 100 million or what ever theyre worth. Im saying my respect for him for putting more importance on that over using the $$$ to improve the lives of many, is diminished. Its absolutely his right and choice to do it, and mine to hold him in (relative) contempt him for it.

One of my favourite authors once wrote something to the effect that if the truth is actually told, explained and processed, most people don't actually want to be vastly rich, rather they just wish they could freely spend large amounts of money without responsibility or consequence.

Interesting. Who was the author?

There is ALWAYS consequence, in even the smallest thing. Its called action and reaction. Sowing and reaping.

My 'concern' is more a disappointment and embarrassment for humanity, that they would put so much emphasis on personal acquisition over compassion for their fellow human beings. On material gain rather than using their success to make a real difference.

Glad you decided to be the moral authority for humanity. When do you get to decide how the human race spends it's collective wealth? You sound like someone with a serious personality disorder. You are either a really fat chick with too many tattoos and body piercings or skinny dweeb of a guy that can't open a gallon of milk. Take your SJW bullshit back to Reddit and continue your circle jerk there.

Glad you decided to be the moral authority for humanity. When do you get to decide how the human race spends it's collective wealth? You sound like someone with a serious personality disorder. You are either a really fat chick with too many tattoos and body piercings or skinny dweeb of a guy that can't open a gallon of milk. Take your SJW bullshit back to Reddit and continue your circle jerk there.

Im not the moral authority for anyone but me. And if I choose to not care for someone or what he does thats my right just as much as it is to do it.

It has nothing to do with SJW bullshit, you ignorant tool. It has to do with the commands of Christ to feed the poor, cloth the needy and care for the sick. To treat others as you wish to be treated. I guess you never heard of that guy. So, boy, Ill say what I have to say right here. If you dont like it, dont read it, or leave.

As to that Its pretty clear youre just a keyboard commando, who doesnt want to learn, so Im done with you. Back t 'yo mamma's' basement

Stranger in a Strange land, Chapter 21

Thats the last novel by Heinlein I liked. After that he got too far out with his Jubal Hirschaw trip.

IMHO his best work was his early stuff like:

-Have Spacesuit Will Travel

-Glory Road

Im not the moral authority for anyone but me. And if I choose to not care for someone or what he does thats my right just as much as it is to do it.

It has nothing to do with SJW bullshit, you ignorant tool. It has to do with the commands of Christ to feed the poor, cloth the needy and care for the sick. To treat others as you wish to be treated. I guess you never heard of that guy. So, boy, Ill say what I have to say right here. If you dont like it, dont read it, or leave.

As to that Its pretty clear youre just a keyboard commando, who doesnt want to learn, so Im done with you. Back t 'yo mamma's' basement
Oooh, going to throw a little Jesus into the mix. When was the last time you helped the church food bank? I volunteer frequently.

Everything you say is straight out of the SJW handbook. If you were truly religious and a good Christian you wouldn't be calling people names or judging people. You are nothing but a hate filled person trying to practice class warfare. When are you going to weave sexism, racism, homophobia, and genderism into the argument?

I recant my remark about you being a part time janitor, you clearly lack the skills and personality for that.

The funny thing about "Charity" and "helping others" is that in the micro sense it can be a great boost for your own happiness, self image and personal opinion of yourself, and done correctly in the micro personal sense the outcomes range from essentially inconsequential to significantly positive for those helped.

However in the Macro sense it often turns out as best to be a giant waste that just keeps more useless "moralistic" people in employment and at worst actually makes the problems much worse.

Take 2 examples we are all familiar with:

Here in the USA, the "War on Poverty" first started by the idea of "The Great Society" has been in operation for 50+ years getting ever and ever more funding, expenditures all told are probably in the Trillions of dollars (normalized for today), it has served in a great capacity to produce generations dependent on government handouts, incapable of thinking of working for an honest living & turned whole communities into ghettos.

In Africa, Billions have been spent over the past 40 years on "Food Aid" and all kinds of other aid. Realistic research will show that while you see great images of some starving people getting fed, it has actually made both war and starvation much worse than ever before & increased the frequency of "disasters" requiring more humanitarian aid.

If you check the reports of most "Charities", "Aid organizations", "Relief groups" that operate and raise funds on a large scale, and compare monies received to actual amount of help given to the end recipients or to results, they make our Federal government look like a paradigm of efficiency. The surprising exception to this is The Salvation Army which is amazingly efficient.

The problem is that there are some people who are good hard workers and decent folks that fall on very hard times and loose everything, but if they could get some decent help without a bunch of strings attached, they would be able to get back on their feet.
Most however are in desperate straights because of their own issues & all that help does is kick the can down the road and keep the full results of their ways from providing a self correcting / self eliminating feedback loop for as long as continuous free help is given.

Sure you see images of hungry children in this country on pleas for help, but how many of those are because hard working parents cannot get a break and can't find work, and how many are because their parents care more about their addictions to drugs & alcohol than they do care about their kids, or are involved in crime or are not mentally well?

You see the pictures of starving children in Africa designed to tug at your heart and wallet strings. Tragic for the children, but it's the fault of the people themselves in the bigger sense that prefer to fight & kill rather than farm and rely on foreign aid to stay alive and fund their rag tag armies and even if they wanted to farm, a farmer can't compete with free food given away from time to time. Or they refuse to adapt and learn how to have efficient food production for their exploding population, which otherwise would lead to a firm feedback loop, either learn to produce food efficiently like the west, or enough starve to death till their is few enough of them that their inefficient ways can support them.

Moralistic people always like to quote the Bible as an excuse for pushing a communistic "From each according to their ability to each according to their need", but it is much more nuanced and both sides of the argument are represented (as are most things in the bible), Judas upbraided one of Jesus's female companions for buying expensive perfume instead of "giving the money to the poor", and as is so often the case it stipulates that most likely his actual reason was because he controlled the purse strings for "money to the poor", and the reply from Jesus was The pour you have with you always, basically F you, she is right to have spent it on the expensive perfume for a purpose.

Reactions: 168BTHPM
The funny thing about "Charity" and "helping others" is that in the micro sense it can be a great boost for your own happiness, self image and personal opinion of yourself, and done correctly in the micro personal sense the outcomes range from essentially inconsequential to significantly positive for those helped.

However in the Macro sense it often turns out as best to be a giant waste that just keeps more useless "moralistic" people in employment and at worst actually makes the problems much worse.

Take 2 examples we are all familiar with:

Here in the USA, the "War on Poverty" first started by the idea of "The Great Society" has been in operation for 50+ years getting ever and ever more funding, expenditures all told are probably in the Trillions of dollars (normalized for today), it has served in a great capacity to produce generations dependent on government handouts, incapable of thinking of working for an honest living & turned whole communities into ghettos.

In Africa, Billions have been spent over the past 40 years on "Food Aid" and all kinds of other aid. Realistic research will show that while you see great images of some starving people getting fed, it has actually made both war and starvation much worse than ever before & increased the frequency of "disasters" requiring more humanitarian aid.

If you check the reports of most "Charities", "Aid organizations", "Relief groups" that operate and raise funds on a large scale, and compare monies received to actual amount of help given to the end recipients or to results, they make our Federal government look like a paradigm of efficiency. The surprising exception to this is The Salvation Army which is amazingly efficient.

The problem is that there are some people who are good hard workers and decent folks that fall on very hard times and loose everything, but if they could get some decent help without a bunch of strings attached, they would be able to get back on their feet.
Most however are in desperate straights because of their own issues & all that help does is kick the can down the road and keep the full results of their ways from providing a self correcting / self eliminating feedback loop for as long as continuous free help is given.

Sure you see images of hungry children in this country on pleas for help, but how many of those are because hard working parents cannot get a break and can't find work, and how many are because their parents care more about their addictions to drugs & alcohol than they do care about their kids, or are involved in crime or are not mentally well?

You see the pictures of starving children in Africa designed to tug at your heart and wallet strings. Tragic for the children, but it's the fault of the people themselves in the bigger sense that prefer to fight & kill rather than farm and rely on foreign aid to stay alive and fund their rag tag armies and even if they wanted to farm, a farmer can't compete with free food given away from time to time. Or they refuse to adapt and learn how to have efficient food production for their exploding population, which otherwise would lead to a firm feedback loop, either learn to produce food efficiently like the west, or enough starve to death till their is few enough of them that their inefficient ways can support them.

Moralistic people always like to quote the Bible as an excuse for pushing a communistic "From each according to their ability to each according to their need", but it is much more nuanced and both sides of the argument are represented (as are most things in the bible), Judas upbraided one of Jesus's female companions for buying expensive perfume instead of "giving the money to the poor", and as is so often the case it stipulates that most likely his actual reason was because he controlled the purse strings for "money to the poor", and the reply from Jesus was The pour you have with you always, basically F you, she is right to have spent it on the expensive perfume for a purpose.

I wont waste the energy to reply to that load of crap beyond saying Its really interesting to observe how much the right and left, the conservatives and liberals, are basically identical. You both need to hate and discredit everything you cant understand or dont approve of. Im laughing at you. Good riddance.

Thats the last novel by Heinlein I liked. After that he got too far out with his Jubal Hirschaw trip.

IMHO his best work was his early stuff like:
-Have Spacesuit Will Travel
-Glory Road

Those are excellent works and hidden in them is tons of social philosophy as well as ideas about the universe far beyond their time.

Since I don't suffer from the illogical hangups regarding reproductive situations that many of my fellow God botherers struggle under, I have greatly enjoyed his other books such as:

Time Enough For Love
To Sail Beyond The Sunset
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Job
Starship Troopers

Each of them is loaded with discussions on society, human nature, the rise and fall of civilizations and peoples along with the why and how. In addition to exploring both scientific, technical and social concepts far beyond his time. Each one forces you to think about the why for what you believe and think of as "normal" or "right" or simply your ideas about the possibilities of reality.

I wont waste the energy to reply to that load of crap beyond saying Its really interesting to observe how much the right and left, the conservatives and liberals, are basically identical. You both need to hate and discredit everything you cant understand or dont approve of. Im laughing at you. Good riddance.

I don't hate people's choices and am not looking to "discredit" anyone, I'm simply a realist and choose to look at things in an open eyed manner without rose tinted glasses.

I'm happy to help others when I am able, but I don't delude myself.
I tend to help people I know that need it, or could simply use it even if not specifically needed.
I also support specific people, causes and ideologies or arts directly as I feel it would benefit things I care about.
I know that in part I do it for myself & the feelings it gives me.

Dropping another SJW tactic, that's right out of chapter 2, when losing an argument claim moral and intellectual superiority then claim the other party lacks the ability to understand. Take a Midol and call your OB/GYN.

Those are excellent works and hidden in them is tons of social philosophy as well as ideas about the universe far beyond their time.

Since I don't suffer from the illogical hangups regarding reproductive situations that many of my fellow God botherers struggle under, I have greatly enjoyed his other books such as:

Time Enough For Love
To Sail Beyond The Sunset
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Job
Starship Troopers

Each of them is loaded with discussions on society, human nature, the rise and fall of civilizations and peoples along with the why and how. In addition to exploring both scientific, technical and social concepts far beyond his time. Each one forces you to think about the why for what you believe and think of as "normal" or "right" or simply your ideas about the possibilities of reality.

And thats exactly why I dont care for them When I read science fiction I want to be taken away to far off world and fantastic adventure, like "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" (ever read that one?) not burdened down with political, social thought.

I do remember liking "The Moon" and Starship Troopers" but they were his earlier works.

Its and escape.

I don't hate people's choices and am not looking to "discredit" anyone, I'm simply a realist and choose to look at things in an open eyed manner without rose tinted glasses.

I'm happy to help others when I am able, but I don't delude myself.
I tend to help people I know that need it, or could simply use it even if not specifically needed.
I also support specific people, causes and ideologies or arts directly as I feel it would benefit things I care about.
I know that in part I do it for myself & the feelings it gives me.

To me, a Realist' is neither to the right, nor the left, but dead in the center. Its called balance.

"I'm happy to help others when I am able, but I don't delude myself.
I know that in part I do it for myself & the feelings it gives me"

Thats well put and about how I see it. I give a lot to the Salvation Army because they really put the rubber where it meets the road. And yes, some of it is in that it just makes you feel good to help out. Not to wax religious but have yuo heard the saying "It is more blessed to give than to receive" Ever thought about what the author meant? I figure that when you help others with your time and gifts you are planting seeds in the field of life that will in time greminate, grow, and return to you multiplied, just like planting an ear of corn. Its not all altruistic.

I invest in lead.

Giving to charity would be worth it if you could give them enough money to go away. However much money you could scrape up, they would always want more.

We are in a race to the bottom, its bad enough without being a sucker.

, like "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" (ever read that one?)

Yes, I liked that one quite a bit, probably the part I was most interested in was when they were speaking on behalf of mankind at the trial of earth and they came to the realization that all human ideas about Justice and deserves were null there and they had to think on their feet how to defend humanity according to the rules of a very different system.

I'm a sucker for books that make me think long and hard mixed in with a bit of story mixed in and long conversations about the why of everything.

Not to wax religious but have yuo heard the saying "It is more blessed to give than to receive" Ever thought about what the author meant? I figure that when you help others with your time and gifts you are planting seeds in the field of life that will in time greminate, grow, and return to you multiplied, just like planting an ear of corn. Its not all altruistic.

That is very correct and kind of how I do it. I like both helping and randomly giving to people I know and care about, a big part of that is the vicarious happiness I receive when I get to see them genuinely happy for it. Other times I'll give to people on Go Fund me specifically because of the small bit of happiness I receive from helping fight against the SJW agenda.

And yes "planting seeds in the field of life" is what it is all about, We owe everything that we have and are to the humans that went before us and built up slowly over time. A successful member of an advancing species should be careful not to retard progress and possibly help in some small way make the next generation of the species a bit more successful. So I try my best to make sure that the ground is fertile for those to come after me and that hopefully the world is left to them with a bit more hope for a good future, while also trying to give a helping hand along the way to those I know who are just starting out or starting over. I however have a modified version of Ayn Rand's philosophy that I live by where I refuse to let guilt, fear or shame make me do "altruistic" things, but rather I do them because I choose to and understand why and for what purpose I do "giving" or "charity", and I try to always give for a direct outcome or purpose rather than outsourcing that selection to others.

I give a bunch to nonprofits every year....

But I also buy bullets and guns...

And drive a 21yr old Jeep.... I’ll admit my wife has a 14’ coke mobile though. If it were up to me, she would be driving a lifted 78 suburban with a big block. It’s amazing how little you care about mpg when your truck is paid for.

Oh, and for the virtue signaling hybrid drivers who think they are saving the planet?

I contend a 20-30yr old car or trucks “carbon footprint” has already been reabsorbed by the planet and continued use of older vehicles is in similitude to gentrification.... so take your pansy ass go cart and try to guilt trip somewhere else.

Oh, and for the virtue signaling hybrid drivers who think they are saving the planet?

I drive a hybrid for the economic benefit. Since my daily commute is close to 100 miles, having a vehicle that gets 50+ mpg week in and week out, came out on the spreadsheet way cheaper over a 7 year ownership than just about anything else, a bit of happiness at the pump each time I fill up.
I don't drive one of those ugly Prius things that have no get up and go however.

I drive a hybrid for the economic benefit. Since my daily commute is close to 100 miles, having a vehicle that gets 50+ mpg week in and week out, came out on the spreadsheet way cheaper over a 7 year ownership than just about anything else, a bit of happiness at the pump each time I fill up.
I don't drive one of those ugly Prius things that have no get up and go however.

Prius, pronounced "Pry-us" As in "We crashed because the accelerator pedal stuck and they had to'pry us' out of the damn thing.

A Maggot original.

I would drive a Rabbit Diesel waaay before a hybrid.

Reactions: 168BTHPM
I drive a 90 honda civic i bought in 2004 it has 360K on it and shoot a AIAX. The gun will outlast the car and be passed down to multiple generations. Although the honda civic is very reliable its pretty ugly hahah. I do enjoy seeing people faces when i pull my AX out of my $400 car

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: