• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun upgrades vs new gun

LongRangEnthusiast

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Minnesota, USA
Hey guys! I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a remmy 700 sps dm factory in .308 and I am interested in deer hunting, f-class, and i hope to do prairie dogs soon. I have been doing F-class on my friends gun, and now i am convinced I need one for next year
grin.gif
The guys at the range think i should get a savage f/tr (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FTR/) and somebody let me try one out and I really liked it. However, the gun is practically only good for paper punching, and for the same price I could get a xlr chassis, a nice match barrel*, and maybe a trigger job for my 700, giving me a great multipurpose gun. Another aspect though is that 2 guns > 1 gun. What would you guys do? Would both options be about equally accurate?

*Btw does anyone have ideas about a good match barrel for f-class that would be somewhat manageable in the field? I wouldn't carry it over a couple miles.

Thanks for the help.

Schwartz

PS. spending more than 1500 on the gun would put me between a rock and a hard place for the scope.

Re: Gun upgrades vs new gun

You could make a multipurpose gun to be good at everything, but it won't be GREAT at everything. To me, having a dedicated hunting gun and a dedicated competition gun is more ideal, then in the future you can improve on your hunting gun to make it lighter, sturdier and more accurate.

That makes sense. I mostly hunt from a deerstand, so a couple extra pounds wouldn't kill me, but I can see how that would change if I started stalking more. Do you have any guns off hand that you would recommend over the savage for shooting long range competitions pretty much of the box?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Schwartz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. Do you have any guns off hand that you would recommend over the savage for shooting long range competitions pretty much of the box? </div></div>

savage is the only factory offering that tries to be suitable for F class - otherwise it is component built rifles

One has a synthetic stock, the other has a laminate. One has a 24" barrel, the other has a 30" barrel. One has a detachable box magazine, the other is a single shot. One is threaded, the other isnt (from what I can see). One is blurred, the other it's stainless. One it's a target action (large shank), the other is a standard action (small shank). As far as savage rifles go, they are very different.

The shank size, as I said, the target action is a large shank, and the standard action is small shank. Small shank actions are much more common, here is some info:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader. </div></div>

basically its just a larger diameter on the threads, the only savage actions that are large shank are target actions, WSM's and RUM's. Basically, you can't find two completely different savages haha. BTW, the F/TR has a target accutrigger trigger which is adjustable down to 6oz I believe, and the law enforcement has a standard accutrigger which I believe is adjustable down to 1.5lbs.

Definitely upgrade your Remington, and don't buy a savage.

Otherwise it's like having a Toyota in the garage and wanting to buy a KIA for the weekends.

kia's are looking better these days.... ;> but I would say upgrade your remington.

I spent a lot of milk money building Fclass rifles and waiting months to get them and if i were to do it all over again, I would save a boat load of money and time and get a savage, cause i am getting my butt kicked by that darn savage FTR team.
hope this helps.

Thanks for all the answers! so you guys are pretty much split 50/50. The only reason I am not sold on the ftr is that it is basically a paperweight when its not at f-class and I am not sure that I will do f-class for the rest of my life.

Update: I started liking the 10FCP SR (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/M10FCP10). It leaves more money for a scope and I could use it outside of F-class. It has accutrigger (just the regular one as noted by rusty), accustock, and a heavy fluted threaded barrel. And I am also led to believe that the 10fcp's twist rate (1:10) is preferred over the ftr's 1:12 for 175 grain bullets at long range. So my next question is how much accuracy would I lose if I chose the 10fcp over the ftr? (if any, I have heard someone say its a .25moa gun) 10FCP vs Upgraded Remmy? Sorry for changing the original question
eek.gif

Schwartz

I love both of my savage's and they are a great shooting rifle for the value. Keep your remmy for your hunting rig and get a savage to punch paper with. The Savage 10FCP SR is a great gun. I just picked up the Savage 10 Advantage Maxx in .260 and it is already a tack driver. You can't go wrong with a stock savage.

Don't forget with the 10 FCP SR, to look at the costs of the Mags. Probly between $70-100 each. Not sure if that is a game changer, just throwing it out there. Mine have the 4 round DBM Mags and they are $40 each.

Good Luck!!!

What I'm hearing here is; I like to compete, but am not concerned with being a champion.

First, I wouldn't want a 308 for pdogs.

Next, since you don't care to really have an fclass gun, then I would be building a long range hunting rig.

Now you said deer, but then throw out pdogs, 6mm variant comes to mind, though a good pdog shoot would be hard on the barrel. 6.5mm variants would work too.

Better ballistics, but sacrificing barrel life, would put you in fopen, but if you're just competing for fun, and to further yourself as a shooter, then who cares.

Adjustable stock, 24-26" barrel, look at 10-12lbs complete. This helps with long range stability but isn't so heavy you die on your way out to the blind.

I'm currently doing this, building a 260, it will be my coyote and fclass gun. I will compete in fopen with a bipod, no rear bag, because I'm looking to improve myself as a hunter, win or lose on the score sheets, it doesn't matter.

Or keep the 308 for f/tr and deer, buy a pdog/fun gun.

I'm with calling4life, instead of buying a "complete" gun, buy a cheaper model or a used model and upgrade. You can probably find a complete model 10 for 500 dollars, buy a B&C for 250, a new barrel for around 400, and that puts you right at what you want to spend for a complete rifle, and it will most likely be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely upgrade your Remington, and don't buy a savage.

Otherwise it's like having a Toyota in the garage and wanting to buy a KIA for the weekends. </div></div>

LOL, true dat.

I wanted to comment on the differences of the two savage rifles you posted. The first rifle you posted is a .223 which is a good round but also you really are not looking to shoot past 500-600 with it. The 308 is much better at distance and continues to prove itself all day long. Also like it has been said the first one is single shot and the second has a mag so there the first is unrealistic to be in comp at all it eats up way to much time reloading round after round. Lastly, you want to really look at the twist. Since the twist is so different you are looking at a cost difference in ammo for compensation to velocity though with the high twist you can get the higher grain and prove better performance.

thanks for all the replies! At this point I can't really see a big disadvantage with getting the fcp over the ftr. Two more questions. 1) F-class guns have to shoot 20 rounds and should stay sub-MOA. How much do you think the fcp's accuracy would deteriorate with a 20 round string? Would it be still around/under a minute? I know thats guesswork, but your guesses are likely better than mine. 2) would you upgrade the remmy or buy the savage fcp. (some of you already touched on it but I just want a couple more opinions.)

PS. Callin4life why wouldn't you use a 308 for pdogs?

Schwartz

This really depends. First, you will not know how long of a shooting session you can have with out cleaning your rifle due to group deterioration until you get the rifle and shoot it. Even 2 barrels from the same company will shoot differently. I have one Savage Model 10 that I hardly ever clean because the dirtier it is the better it shoots. Then I have another Savage Model 10 that will shoot great for about 100 - 150 rounds and then needs to be cleaned and then I am right back into the tight groups. This is what you learn by shooting your rifle, but usually you will get between 100 - 200 rounds before cleanings (Just my experience).

If you want a more multi purpose rifle then the Savage Model 10 in the .260 or another Flatter Shooting cartridge (including the 6.5-284) and you can get a well rounded gun for many different types of shooting (Deer, Prarie Dogs, F-Class).

I would probrably buy a new gun in a lighter calliber with a flatter shooting round for the F-Class and Prarie Dogs, and keep the Remmy for the Deer. But again it depends on YOUR needs and wants. I personnaly like several guns for dedicated shooting. (.30-06 for hunting, .260 for target, and .308 for target) but having one dedicated gun is not a bad thing, it just doesn't give you the ability to shoot lots of different things.

I say buy a new gun and then have 2 rifles. 1 for hunting and 2 for target and fun.

Good Luck!!!

For about 650 bucks, you could have a match grade 6.5 creedmore barrel installed on your 700, this will include truing the action and probably lapping the lugs.
For about 750, you can get an XLR with standard butt stock, add a couple of 5 round AICS mags.

That will put you just over 1500 and your rifle will be competitive in F class and a very good choice for animals up to Elk.