• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunk in the crown of my AR with Muzzle break

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
I don't know if this is a problem or not, but how do you get the gunk that gets caught on the crown of an AR when it has the standard A-2 flash hider? It seems the inner diameter of the flash-hider is slightly larger than that of the bore. So there's a tiny platform for gunk to sit on the crown. I can shine a flashlight on there and see it all pooled in there, but not even a q-tip is small enough to scrape it off because it sits right in the corner. Any suggestions?

Re: Gunk in the crown of my AR with Muzzle break

I couldn't get the camera to focus on what I'm talking about, but I'm referring to the crescent-moon shape area that's reflecting inside the flash hider.

IMG_0775.jpg

If you are in boot camp you take the open end of a cleaning rod and scrape it all around in there until you get the carbon out.

Once you learn what that does to your accuracy and you are buying your own rifles you leave it the hell alone.

There isn't really any carbon on the crown. It just collects between the face of the muzzle and the comp. It doesn't effect accuracy. If you get really bothered by it you can remove the compensator and use solvent to clean it off.

If you could see the buildup inside my QD for my suppressor you would cringe.

Ugh, I cringe thinking back to those days and what we did to our rifles to pass an inspection. No bad boot camp cleaning "tricks" here. I actually paid for this baby. Thanks for the info.

Rifle inspections......
smile.gif
good days, bros!

Agreed on leaving it be. Don't sweat it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are in boot camp you take the open end of a cleaning rod and scrape it all around in there until you get the carbon out.

Once you learn what that does to your accuracy and you are buying your own rifles you leave it the hell alone.

There isn't really any carbon on the crown. It just collects between the face of the muzzle and the comp. It doesn't effect accuracy. If you get really bothered by it you can remove the compensator and use solvent to clean it off.

If you could see the buildup inside my QD for my suppressor you would cringe. </div></div>

this made me laugh.

Thanks for the hints! That's what I figured but I thought I'd ask.

In bootcamp they instructed us to use our firing pin to clean the carbon form our crown
sick.gif
. I didnt do that even though 400 recruits before me had done this but it was setteling for my mind. I put CLP on it right off the bat and cleaned the rest of the rifle. I cleaned the comp last and used a broken q-tip. They were the long wooden ones and with it being some what sharp it scraped it free and used a new q-tip to wipe it clean. It wasnt perfect, as my DIs made me clean it over and over, but I knew I hadnt messed up the crown. I wouldnt worry about it that much though.