• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guns I laughed at but now regret not buying

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Century Arms FA MAS 5.56 . During the late 1980s, Century Arms imported a very small number of semi-automatic FA MAS's into the United States. This one just sold for $58,525 on GunBroker.

1692028446167.png

I regret not buying CMP M1's when i had the chance and HKp7s. Now their prices is at the roof.
    Same here. Wished I would have kept more of the carbines I bought from Anniston way back when.

Reactions: Grubber
    I probably shouldn't have sold my Benelli Nova, but I have a 590A1 now, so that eases the sting a bit.

Sweet Jesus, I’d buy so many effing $80 Mosins if I could time travel. I felt they were so crude and clunky that I had zero interest in owning any. Now that they sell for 5x that (or more), they don’t look so bad lol.

And I never laughed at the HK P7. In fact, I’ve ALWAYS wanted one. But when they imported them “cheap” back around 2008-2010 or so, I was broke and focusing on other aspects of life, so I had no idea what was going on with them. I’d go back and buy 10 of ‘em, and keep at least half for myself even with today’s prices.

Hindsight and all that… 😐

Mausers even nazi mausers used to be sub 200 bucks, mosins, 1903’s when they were 300-400 bucks, more than I did m1’s and carbines from cmp(which I did buy quite a few).

But really I regret all the parts kits, I’m 15-20 years behind the curve. I remember shotgun news ads for 1919 parts kits were 299 dollars, but parts kits in general I would time travel to tell myself buy whatever kits you come across

44 Automag. Produced 1971-72. saw one new in a large sporting goods store in that time frame. I was 19 at the time and no cash. The gun had many operational issues including the need to cut down 308 or ‘06 brass—it didn’t used standard 44 mag cases.

1692041993880.jpeg

I regret not buying CMP M1's when i had the chance and HKp7s. Now their prices is at the roof.
    I filled out paper work at least twice for a CMP Garand. The last 2 prices I remember were $475 and $675, both new barrels and stocks. Now it is $1150 for one. I guess the .308 Match will be the only Garand I own.

Reactions: mtrmn and Grubber
    44 Automag. Produced 1971-72. saw one new in a large sporting goods store in that time frame. I was 19 at the time and no cash. The gun had many operational issues including the need to cut down 308 or ‘06 brass—it didn’t used standard 44 mag cases.

View attachment 8204723
    Four grand for a new one. Basically redesigned to get rid of the bugs. Too rich for me but it is a hand built gun.

Reactions: Marine52
    I remember when a bunch of M1917'2 hit the market back in the early 90's.
    Kept telling myself I should pick one up, kept putting it off, then they dried up

Reactions: mtrmn
    Over the years there have been many. Most were by-passed because of lack of funds at the time. It is surprising what they are getting for some that didn't get away!

Reactions: Foul Mike
    Didn't laugh at them I was too poor. HK91 just before the ban guy had a stack of them NIB for 695.00 at a gun show.

Reactions: Faronth
    You buy that car new of the lot during a midlife crisis
    No.....I was 18 at the time. I had ordered a new one from a Costco/AMZN like "Direct Buying Service". But, it didn't come in and I never got any useful information from either the buying service or the dealer, so I cancelled it. I bought a lightly used one.

Oh, and nice try on the "burn".......... :ROFLMAO: 🖕:ROFLMAO:

Didn't laugh at them I was too poor. HK91 just before the ban guy had a stack of them NIB for 695.00 at a gun show.
    Back in '79 factory new went for just over $400 new with extra mags, bipod, the works. I should have bought a ton of them.

If only we had a time machine or a crystal ball....hindsight........ oh well

When it was the DCM instead of CMP, I should've bought a truck full of Garands. 180 a piece in the early 90's. Should've bought SKS crates and all the Guatemalan 5.56 and Portuguese 7.62x51.

For years I wanted an M1A and I finally found one. Shot it a couple times and never understood the attraction. I now laugh at them because I sold it for stupid money right after Sandy Hook.

Gen 1 Glocks for $250. I still laugh at them but they are starting to fetch a premium.

2005 era, a friend had an MP5SD for $7K. That was my whole gun collection at the time. That one makes me sad.

I really wish I had bought one of those Gibbs rifle co 1903a4 repros. They were $995 with the repro optic if I remember right. Trying to get into vintage sniper matches now and I wish I had one or they still made them.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Marlin MR7, I had 5, gave one to my nephew, was talked out of the others. They clearanced them for $288, saw a NIB old stock sell recently for $1600.

Browning Auto-5 Magnum Stalker, I have the first one I bought 32yrs ago. Paid $360 plus tax for it new, should have bought one every month until discontinued. I sold a NIB Mag Stalker with the box and factory goodies for $2300 a little over a year ago.

Winchester 70 Wintuff XTR rifles

That is just a a couple, I am sure I could think of a couple dozen or more that I wish I would have bought or kept.

Reactions: KYAggie
    I had a chance to buy a documented M1903 that was recovered from the wreckage of the USS California on Dec 7th 1941. We have a serial list of 400 M1903's that were recovered after the attack.

This was maybe 20 years ago and the guy wanted 3k I believe. The only catch the rifle had been converted to a Drill rifle.

I always figured I would see another one someday and thought why pay that much for a Drill Rifle, even with the history.

Well a couple have sold recently for the 20-25k range. So I do wish now I would have snagged that one.

chinese AKs , i have a couple that i bought for $250 worth upwards 5k now , my 86s Norinco , i seen one sell for 5k and it was missing the impossible to find fishlip hider , bought in 89 as a getting out of the Navy present to myself , back then they were Junk rifles

HK P7M8 - I had a couple of opportunities when I was a lad, but blew my $$ on a 79 trans am which I wrecked less than 6 mo later :(

I remember German Police trade-in P7’s in The Gun List in the mid 1990’s for $249 and $299 for “select” quality with extra magazine and holster and I think a cleaning kit.

Then again, I did buy a Lew Horton “contract overrun” FBI 1076 10mm for $299 AND have kept it new in box without even losing the wax paper. That was a good move.

Win some lose some!

Oh and was offered one of only a handful of VP70M’s back in 1990’s. With stock and all the gee gaws. But it was $3k and that was a ton of money. I did get a VP70z… but that’s not the same!

Sirhr

there is actually another aspect of this , "the ones that got away" firearms that you didnt appreciate when you had it and now its gone you cant get it back without bleeding rectally , i had a pair of SVT-40s back when they could be had for $400 , traded away

• Sad
    Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    Portuguese 7.62x51.
    I remember looking at a rack of Portuguese G3's, $650? "That's nuts!" (making $200 a week)

I DID buy a few $40-90 Mosins for the future. Then after a while I sold all but one, "These things aren't going to be worth enough to bother." Haven't really been priced wrong.

The one that literally got away.

Visiting my LGS back in 07, owner sees me and says, ''I got one with your name on it.'' He disappears in the back room and comes back with a Springfield made FAL. I forget the name of these. SAR48, SA58, or something along those lines..... it was an inch pattern and also a para model.
    He didn't even have a price tag on it. Three 20rnd mags, built in bipod, a cotton sling. $2200 uttered from his lips. I was sold. I put it on layaway with a $100 deposit.

About a week later, my truck had a major break down. Financially, it kicked my ass. I regret letting that rifle fall through the cracks. I should have begged, borrowed, and stole the monies needed to make it all happen. My pride wouldn't allow that, and still won't.

I regret letting that one slip through the cracks, non the less.

A Mauser built by FN in 30-06 for some S American country. Had a checkered flat on the bolt handle.
    Local Gambles store had 2 of them, matched numbers, looked like new for $65, don't remember what country they were built for.
    It was the early 60s, my summer job was working on a farm for $8 a day with room and board. Going rate at the time around there.
    I was more interested in racing motorsicles at the time and all my wages and winnings went to a new Bultaco 250 cc race bike.
    Wish I still had the bike, never did buy the rifle even tho the bike let me win enough to purchase it.

Reactions: powdahound76
    The one that literally got away.

Visiting my LGS back in 07, owner sees me and says, ''I got one with your name on it.'' He disappears in the back room and comes back with a Springfield made FAL. I forget the name of these. SAR48, SA58, or something along those lines..... it was an inch pattern and also a para model.
    He didn't even have a price tag on it. Three 20rnd mags, built in bipod, a cotton sling. $2200 uttered from his lips. I was sold. I put it on layaway with a $100 deposit.

About a week later, my truck had a major break down. Financially, it kicked my ass. I regret letting that rifle fall through the cracks. I should have begged, borrowed, and stole the monies needed to make it all happen. My pride wouldn't allow that, and still won't.

I regret letting that one slip through the cracks, non the less.

I bought my SAR48 Match at the Houston AstroHall Gun show in 1993 for $600. It was real money for me then. But I still have it. When the Trilux scopes hit the market in the late 1990's, I snagged one of those. It was a favorite Coyote Rifle for a while.

I hear they are spendy now!

Still have it.

Sirhr

Remington 788. They were on sale at a business that was going out of business. All the guns were marked down unbelievably. I got a Rem 700 in .243. for $240~ish. Could have had one of the 788's in .223 or .308 possible 6mm Rem for $150.

Century Arms FA MAS 5.56 . During the late 1980s, Century Arms imported a very small number of semi-automatic FA MAS's into the United States. This one just sold for $58,525 on GunBroker.

View attachment 8204580
    When Canuckistan banned certain items, an influx of them came across the local border. This variant turned out to be one of the most rarest FAMAS ever imported in semiauto, the GIAT French Foreign Legion sniper. Unobtainable for all purposes. I will say they were some of the crappiest constructed guns ever issued. Sold it to a big name magazine publisher, and never regretted once.

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_010222_kindlephoto-221435363.jpg
      IMG_20230819_010222_kindlephoto-221435363.jpg
      228.2 KB · Views: 39
    • IMG_20230819_010438_kindlephoto-221554646.jpg
      IMG_20230819_010438_kindlephoto-221554646.jpg
      165.3 KB · Views: 47
    Reactions: stanley_white